Speculation: Given to QPR!

VillaGoMarching

people wanting to sign Butland as a backup really need to have a look at Siegrist first. Butland looks a great prospect and this has rightly been reflected in his england call up (which will have massively inflated his price) however we already have a great young keeper in Siegrist, he won the gold gloves at the under 20 world cup and has been outstanding for the reserves for several seasons now. Give the guy a chance before spending millions on a back up keeper when the money is desperately needed elsewhere.

Makes sense to me.

Definately keep Given because as previously stated to get better we would have to spend money which is silly when we need to replace our old guard defense.

He kept us up with some of his saves last season that other keepers wouldnt have made.

Wolves anyone?

And to suggest Green is **** mental.

A horrendously shit keeper who's going to be commanding 50k a week.

Am sure Shay Given had positive impact on TIm Krul development why couldnt he do same for us and a young keeper.

saying sell Given adn bring in Robinson, FOster or Green is madness

Villa fans wanting their cake and eating it here.

We dont want over the hill, injury prone players on big money long term contracts. We want younger hungry players and to keep the wage bill in trim.

I wonder which one of those brackets Given falls into?

A workmate of mine is in Poland watching Ireland in the Euro's and was drinking with Shay Given Senior the other night. Mr Given assured him Given's happy at Villa and there's been no mention of any move to QPR.

There you are. Just something I've heard and am passing on. :angel:

We dont want over the hill, injury prone players on big money long term contracts. We want younger hungry players and to keep the wage bill in trim.

if last season anything top go on he isnt ovr the hill

Agreed Zatman. Given was one of the few players who earned their money last season and will this season too. I have no problem with senior players on decent wages if they perform, just not those who sit on their arse on the bench or underperform season after season and causing grief off the field like a lot of O'Neill's signings.

What's the point in having a cake you can't eat? Stupid saying :)

I used to have a lot of trouble with this saying BOF, but I've gotten past it. What it means is that you want to eat the cake, but then still have it, so you can look at it and stick candles in it etc. Like buying a birthday cake, eating it and then wanting to present it at the party.

Ummkay, though I wasn't being entirely serious :)

Anyhoo, back to keepers. Shay Given can not be relied upon to be fit for every game, so Villa more than most clubs in the Prem NEED a sub keeper who is 100% ready to step in to a Prem side for perhaps a prolonged period. It would be negligent of us not to have a backup like that. That's why someone like Siegrist is too much of a risk at this point in time. We're in a tricky situation where we need a better than average sub keeper. We're losing Guzan precisely because he's too good for the bench. From a contingency point of view we've got to assume our sub will play 5 or 6 league games minimum IMV; and if the worst came to the worst they might have to play a lot more than that.

Given is a very good goalkeeper, and won us a couple of very important points last season.

BUT..........

He was the wrong goalkeeper for us. With Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum in defence, we needed someone who dominates the penalty area, and Given just doesn't do that. Hopefully Lambert can at least start to look to sort out the people in front of him.

I think the problem is players on high wages that don't justify them.

Bent & Given justify their wages, imo.

Ummkay, though I wasn't being entirely serious :)

Anyhoo, back to keepers. Shay Given can not be relied upon to be fit for every game, so Villa more than most clubs in the Prem NEED a sub keeper who is 100% ready to step in to a Prem side for perhaps a prolonged period. It would be negligent of us not to have a backup like that. That's why someone like Siegrist is too much of a risk at this point in time. We're in a tricky situation where we need a better than average sub keeper. We're losing Guzan precisely because he's too good for the bench. From a contingency point of view we've got to assume our sub will play 5 or 6 league games minimum IMV; and if the worst came to the worst they might have to play a lot more than that.

by all accounts siegrist is a very very good keeper.