Speculation: Given to QPR!

VillaGoMarching

I won't be worried abotu Given until he starts playing badly for us. Which in my opinion he hasn't even come close to doing. He's been quality all season.

However, if his performances start going the way they are for Ireland at the Euros, maybe we'd have to think twice :)

if he carries his form from the euros into next season we seriously need a new keeper

In his own words, less than 10% fit at the moment. He was rushed back from injury when, in normal circumstances, he wouldn't have played. He'll have a few weeks off training and some intense physio before pre-season.

He's not been great these last couple of games but people are over reacting massively. He's a brilliant keeper. He's getting on of course and I wouldn't mind getting another keeper in that can challenge for the number 1 spot, but we should definitely keep him.

I have never been a big Given fan and never really wanted him at Villa. Given is a great shot stopper but causes chaos in the defense at the team he has been at. Funny isnt it that Villa, Man City and Newcastle have bad defenses when Given is around but they suddenly do a lot better when he is not.

Another thought is that Man City gambled on a young Joe Hart as he wasa highly rated keeper. We have Siegrist who is a golden glove winner in the u19 champs. Should we not think about taking a gamble on him? Perhaps bring in Butland and have two young keepers competing to be number one.

if he carries his form from the euros into next season we seriously need a new keeper

In his own words, less than 10% fit at the moment. He was rushed back from injury when, in normal circumstances, he wouldn't have played. He'll have a few weeks off training and some intense physio before pre-season.

If thats the case then surely should sit out the Italy game?

Totally unprofessional if playing while 10% fit !!

Let the reserve keeper have a look in shay

Everything is always so cut and dry for you isnt' it?

I'd imagine trap has asked to get through the games, aswell as having a sense of loyalty to Given as he was the keeper that got them to the finals.

Shay will also have an amount of pride to take the pitch. Finally the back up keepers aren't near the level Shay has played at, so i can see why everyone has worked hard to get him between the sticks.

CI, did you see them shitting themselves with Given injured? Every day their was a news report on it in Ireland, he is massive for them, a major reason why there at the Euro's in the first place. In hindsight its easy for everyone to say he shouldn't have played, just like Ronaldo shouldn't have in 98, but it happens.

If thats the case then surely should sit out the Italy game?

Quite possible/likely that he will. Also don't think he will play for Ireland again after Monday.

Benj needs to be loaned out for a season. Theres no point in him sitting on the bench and only getting called upon in the chance Shay gets injured. Loan him out to get some experience, we have been building him up for years. he is 20 now and if he is as good as we all think then he can go and be a top keeper in the championship for a season

If he does well then he can be our number 1 in 13/14.

Bring in Butland as number 2 to replace Shay if he gets injured and in a years time Butland and Sigriest can fight it out over the Number 1 jersey. But there is no need to be selling Given at this minute. We need *some* experience in the team!

For crying out loud, he made a mistake against Spain, no one mentions his save against Xavi, which for me is the save of the tournament.

He's expected to make saves, he's not expected to make mistakes, but yeah that save was brilliant.

If you know you are only10% fit you do not play

I cannot believe he's come out with that

That's very easy to say from the outside looking in. However, he's 36 and at the end of his international career. He's travelled with the squad and worked bloody hard to try and get himself through the injury he picked up. He's been pretty instrumental in getting Ireland to the tournament. The whole squad (and the country, really) are holding their breath to see if you can play.

The manager, player and medical staff all agree it's touch and go. But he can stand and kick. With painkilling injections, he can play.

He's not perfect, far from it, but the manager asks him to play because, on balance, an unfit Shay Given is still better (at present) than a fit Kieron Westwood in terms of ability and the effect on team morale.

Given is the most senior player in the squad. 120+ caps. He's seen by everyone (except Robbie Keane) as a better leader than Robbie Keane.

His manager asked him to play and you don't say no to playing for your country in an international tournament.

If you know you are only10% fit you do not play

I cannot believe he's come out with that

That's very easy to say from the outside looking in. However, he's 36 and at the end of his international career. He's travelled with the squad and worked bloody hard to try and get himself through the injury he picked up. He's been pretty instrumental in getting Ireland to the tournament. The whole squad (and the country, really) are holding their breath to see if you can play.

The manager, player and medical staff all agree it's touch and go. But he can stand and kick. With painkilling injections, he can play.

He's not perfect, far from it, but the manager asks him to play because, on balance, an unfit Shay Given is still better (at present) than a fit Kieron Westwood in terms of ability and the effect on team morale.

Given is the most senior player in the squad. 120+ caps. He's seen by everyone (except Robbie Keane) as a better leader than Robbie Keane.

His manager asked him to play and you don't say no to playing for your country in an international tournament.

For once I actually agree with CI.

If he is not fit he should not play. It’s simple.

A fully fit Westwood would be better than a half fit Given.

I don’t accept that he is not fit though. No way Ireland would play him if this were true.

Can someone link where he admitted this?