Speculation: Given to QPR!

VillaGoMarching

Quite embarrassed by some of our fans directly addressing Given, calling him shit, etc.

I was never bowled over by Given when we signed him, I knew he was a good keeper and had been a great keeper but he'd had some long injuries at City and I thought he was winding towards the end, imagine my horror when we gave him a 5yr contract. We did that though, and despite a bit of a lengthy injury where Guzan came in, he has been generally good this season, on occasion exceptional.

He wasn't fit or prepared for those Euros, he played because he was Shay Given, the whole squad were awful and the reality of that is because the team is crap on paper next to their competitors.

Dunne was brilliant for Ireland in the run up to the tournament, how frequently we moaned when Irish members told us how quality he was playing, and how shit he continued to play for us.

Given did fine for Villa, all that matters, this tournament means and proves nothing whatsoever. Lets give him a fighting chance without such a shower of **** shit in front of him and put the pitchforks away.

Given has also made more saves than any other keeper so far at the Euros. If you have a defence like that in front of you eventually something might go wrong. He's a good keeper and whilst he didnt solely keep us up last season he did contribute massively and I recall him getting quite a few MOTM's. As long as he plays well for us, which so far he has, then who cares what happens at the Euros and even then he's been treated harshly.

Always thought he was a decent keeper before he came to Villa. but it was only last season I appreciated how good he actually was.

You get this shit bandied about from time to time, a goalie being a good shotstopper but not a necessarily a great keeper, the inference being that too many other parts of his game are suspect. So suspect in fact, that they take away from his plus points.

Shay Given is a phenomenal shot stopper. The best we've had since Bosnich. Like Bossie, there were a number of occasions last season when the opposition were through and I thought "that's a goal," and he pulled off a remarkable save. It was more than the odd game, or for a short period too. It was too consistent to be a fluke.

A phenomenal shot stopper - and quite comfortable at all other aspects of his job too, kicking, communication with the backline and so forth. There might be other keepers who are noticeably louder or more animated, but nothing in his performances last year marked out a potential match altering weakness in that regard.

He's had a shit Euro's, owing to lack of fitness and shit tactics as much as anything else. And his fitness is a longstanding concern for me, as he does seem to pick up more knocks than most keepers.

But if we get anything like last seasons performances again this year I'll be delighted. It'll mean GK is one position we don't have to worry about.

QPR have confirmed the signing of Rob Green on a Bosman from West Ham. He has signed a two year contract which starts on July 1st. I guess we can lock this thread now.