Speculation: Given to QPR!

VillaGoMarching

Thing is if we let Given go and replace him with someone like Green or Butland we'd be downgrading the position, whereas QPR would be improving. If we keep going this route for each position, then we'd end up with a worse team than last season's.

I'm not a fan of Given long contract, but right now he's probably the best goalkeeper available to Villa, so I'd rather he stays until we can actually get an improvement.

Fair point although I'd guess that is what the Newcastle fans also thought when they sold Given but they had Krul. Now granted he wasn't his immediate replacement but you get the point.

Given might be the best keeper available to us right now but he is 36 and the club should I think be thinking about more than the immediate future and the next season. If we can replace him with a younger keeper who could go on to surpass him or from who we could get a lot more years service then there is a value in that.

Thing is if we let Given go and replace him with someone like Green or Butland we'd be downgrading the position, whereas QPR would be improving. If we keep going this route for each position, then we'd end up with a worse team than last season's.

I'm not a fan of Given long contract, but right now he's probably the best goalkeeper available to Villa, so I'd rather he stays until we can actually get an improvement.

Fair point although I'd guess that is what the Newcastle fans also thought when they sold Given but they had Krul. Now granted he wasn't his immediate replacement but you get the point.

Given might be the best keeper available to us right now but he is 36 and the club should I think be thinking about more than the immediate future and the next season. If we can replace him with a younger keeper who could go on to surpass him or from who we could get a lot more years service then there is a value in that.

Sure, but we haven't got that brilliant young keeper yet. Going by your example - Krul needed years to learn while being a back up to Given ( and others ). I'm OK with that route, as long as the manager thinks the young keeper is talented, however, not as a direct replacement right now as is being suggested.

I must have been living in a cave the last few weeks. Never saw this topic! As I was saying in the other, slightly embarrassing attempt at a topic:

TBF, this might not be such a bad deal for us. Age was very kind to Brad Friedel, niggling injuries and increasing slowness we see tendencies towards this not being the case with Given.

Sure, his shot-stopping ability is still spectacular, but it might just be that if he was better in other areas (positioning, reading the game, communicating with the defense) this would be less important. The same way Dunne's last-ditch defending can appear spectacular, but would be less needed if his positioning and reading were better. For £3 mill I say, sell. We can get better and younger for those money.

Just read it in the paper again this morning. Sparky wants him for 3m i say let him go then raid SMA for Butland or raise a bit more for foster. I think i'd take dodgey Rob Green on a free considering we'd only have andy marshall and ben siegrist as goalkeepers ahaa :L.

hahaa bravo Trentvilla you basically took the words out of my mouth also... the use of sarcasm was top notch. Agreed.

Yeah the straw man arguments and constant sarcasm are extremely becoming of a mod.

hahaa bravo Trentvilla you basically took the words out of my mouth also... the use of sarcasm was top notch. Agreed.

Yeah the straw man arguments and constant sarcasm are extremely becoming of a mod.

My reply was entirely fitting to your post.

And the 34240 other times?

(this reply is entirely fitting to your post.)

And the 34240 other times?

(this reply is entirely fitting to your post.)

Yes it is but it is far less accurate.

I was never a fan of Given. Yes a good shotstopper but he doesnt command his defense.

Think of the Clubs he has been at: Newcastle and Man City had bad Defense during the time he was there and he was the only saving grace. he leaves and all of a sudden they tighten up!

A Goal Keeper needs to organise his defense and give it confidence.

This is absolute bullsh1t. :shock:

Newcastle were relegated when he left and City spent a fortune.

His save against West Brom this year kept us up….it was phenomenal.

Don’t think we should sell him when finding a replacement of equal quality would be a lot more difficult and expensive than people on here are making out!

But if it has to be 4 or 5 mill so be it ? as long as we will have a much younger goalkeeper who as you say is equal quality to shay why not grasp it with both hands ? Theres keepers available as we have mentioned... so i'd beg to differ that it wouldnt be that difficult.

I was never a fan of Given. Yes a good shotstopper but he doesnt command his defense.

Think of the Clubs he has been at: Newcastle and Man City had bad Defense during the time he was there and he was the only saving grace. he leaves and all of a sudden they tighten up!

A Goal Keeper needs to organise his defense and give it confidence.

This is absolute bullsh1t. :shock:

Newcastle were relegated when he left and City spent a fortune.

His save against West Brom this year kept us up….it was phenomenal.

Don’t think we should sell him when finding a replacement of equal quality would be a lot more difficult and expensive than people on here are making out!

But if it has to be 4 or 5 mill so be it ? as long as we will have a much younger goalkeeper who as you say is equal quality to shay why not grasp it with both hands ? Theres keepers available as we have mentioned... so i'd beg to differ that it wouldnt be that difficult.

Maybe so. But it would be an unnecessary risk.

I would prefer if we signed someone to challenge Given or let Ben Siegrist challenge him for the jersey over the next 2 seasons. If either a cheap signing or Ben took Given’s place we could sell him on then.

Don’t think we would ever have a problem selling him and he’s not the bench warming type.

In short of all the problems we need to solve the Goalkeeper is not the priority unless the deal is really right for our club.

The thing is as I see it, if we sold Shay for about 3 million how much would we have to spend to get a goalkeeper of a similar standard?

Regardless of the trouble Birmingham are in i doubt they would sell Foster to us for much less than 6/7 million. Rob Green isn't as good as Given.

I would be happy starting the next season with Shay in goal, whereas there are other positions i think require much more attention and funding before we think about replacing our number 1 goalkeeper.

I've not seen much of Siegrist, do people think he's ready to step up to number 2 goalkeeper or is he not ready just yet?

The thing is as I see it, if we sold Shay for about 3 million how much would we have to spend to get a goalkeeper of a similar standard?

Regardless of the trouble Birmingham are in i doubt they would sell Foster to us for much less than 6/7 million. Rob Green isn't as good as Given.

I would be happy starting the next season with Shay in goal, whereas there are other positions i think require much more attention and funding before we think about replacing our number 1 goalkeeper.

I've not seen much of Siegrist, do people think he's ready to step up to number 2 goalkeeper or is he not ready just yet?

Being the no.1 is a massive thing especially for a club like us. But when ive heard his name mentioned before people dont think hes ready for first team football. I think hes good and i'd defo give him a run out some time yes.

We also have Benjamin Siegrist coming along nicely.

Is he? My assumption (and hope) when we let Guzan go was because he will step up, but then we had the stupid link to hearts 3rd choice keeper

Well we also let Elliot Parish go to Cardiff on a free. This was another show of faith in Ben.

We also have Benjamin Siegrist coming along nicely.

Is he? My assumption (and hope) when we let Guzan go was because he will step up, but then we had the stupid link to hearts 3rd choice keeper

Well we also let Elliot Parish go to Cardiff on a free. This was another show of faith in Ben.

Didn't see much of Elliot Parish but ive heard he became a bit of a fail. Didn't live up to the little expectation he had so was probably best he went. Because he was fairly old when he left...

Just watched Croatias first goal again

Can only think given didn't see the header

Very very soft goal

Agreed. The 3rd as well was just purely down to Luck, if it had hit him on the other side of his head it wouldn't have gone in the back of the net :P