Speculation: Given to QPR!

VillaGoMarching

CI's bang on... Butland and Foster are the best two keepers we can wish for if we get rid of Given. Friedel to me looks the same as he was years and years ago. I think Given doesn't look the same as he was at Newcastle... probably due to a poor defence but still if theres a clearance down at small heath we should be first in line for them two :cheers:

BTW Dont think ive ever said that in my life and hopefully i will never have to again :D

Given has his weaknesses but I wouldnt be wanting to replace him this summer, or anytime soon for that matter.

Given that our entire defense needs replacing, our midfield is shambolic and we only really have 1 decent striker, I don't think replacing the keeper should be on the agenda this summer.

Guzan would be on lower wages and deserves it.
What has Guzan done to deserve lower wages? :confused:

Haha jeez I messed up typing that one. I meant Guzan would be on lower wages than Given and he deserves the starting spot! :lol::lol:

I thought we'd let Guzan go on a free??

I think we should keep Given for another season...we're already lacking senior players and if they change at least half of the defense, we need someone experienced at back who's been in the club (albeit Given been just an year but still).

I was never a fan of Given. Yes a good shotstopper but he doesnt command his defense.

Think of the Clubs he has been at: Newcastle and Man City had bad Defense during the time he was there and he was the only saving grace. he leaves and all of a sudden they tighten up!

A Goal Keeper needs to organise his defense and give it confidence.

Think about it guys. Mcleish was honest in telling people he would have to sell, and reduce the wage bill. Why would that change? with lambert at the helm, villa fans are excited, and are willing to give him a chance. Now is the perfect time for randy to complete his wage clear up by selling given dunne warnock ireland, maybe nzogbia, because you wont question him. People are already saying i trust lambert decision making, and if it gives lambert some more cash i am happy. Truth is that money will go on fizzy league players, who again fans will try and get optomistic about. I dont want too be negative, but look at the players were being linked with. Lambert said he believes there are players in the lower leagues who can do a job.

Lambert wouldn't have come to B6 if Lerner was going to be as stingy as you are constantly suggesting. These are unimaginative links made by journalists looking at Lambert's previous transfer policy.

Some of the batshit crazy people on this thread amaze me. Given single-handedly kept us last season. He's one of the best keepers in the country and is the Irish national goalkeeper. He's playing at the Euros FFS.

But obviously you have some goalkeeping experts on here who know more than Trapattoni and his coaches and think that Given doesn't command his area. Like you even **** know what that means at the Premier League and world level.

Nobody is denying he's a good keeper

Just could all that wage and fee be better used

He isnt getting any younger is picking more injuries now

He had a bad game last night but don't judge him on that alone

Given single-handedly kept us last season. He's one of the best keepers in the country and is the Irish national goalkeeper. He's playing at the Euros FFS.

Care to explain how one player single-handely retained our PL status last season? I'd love to see the logic behind that one or how you reach that conclusion.

Sure he made some good saves and had some good games but in a 38 game season I think it is daft to say our end league position was down to one player.

But if you want to work on that logic we finished 16th so that is down to Given and by that logic that means there are 15 better keepers in the league. :lol:

I'm sorry but this notion he single-handely kept us up is just a little bit silly.

As for the fact he is the Irish national keeper, so what? All that means is that he is the best keeper Ireland have just like Richard Dunne is one of their two best CB's should we stick with him as well despite form and age just because he gets picked by Ireland?

Perhaps we should sign their LB Ward to replace Warnock because he gets picked for Ireland so he must be great.

But obviously you have some goalkeeping experts on here who know more than Trapattoni and his coaches and think that Given doesn't command his area. Like you even **** know what that means at the Premier League and world level.

Oh grow up. Nobody is proclaiming to be an expert and nobody is saying that he shouldn't be picked for Ireland, that he is is totally irrelevent to his position as our keeper.

Nobody is saying Given is a bad keeper, just that perhaps we could get better and/or younger and that perhaps we could use the transfer money and wages more effectively.

I'm amazed that people would want to get rid. I wonder if these were the same people who were saying Friedel was past it and not good enough for a couple of years before he went to Spurs. I'm not saying there aren't better options out there but I'm struggling to see who would be a realistic upgrade on Given.

I was never a fan of Given. Yes a good shotstopper but he doesnt command his defense.

Think of the Clubs he has been at: Newcastle and Man City had bad Defense during the time he was there and he was the only saving grace. he leaves and all of a sudden they tighten up!

A Goal Keeper needs to organise his defense and give it confidence.

This is absolute bullsh1t. :shock:

Newcastle were relegated when he left and City spent a fortune.

His save against West Brom this year kept us up….it was phenomenal.

Don’t think we should sell him when finding a replacement of equal quality would be a lot more difficult and expensive than people on here are making out!

I've always felt he was a very over rated keeper

decent shot stopper but there is much more to being a keeper nowadays

at 36 he's hardly one for the future so if QPR want to give us our outlay back then we should take it

Given is a similar keeper to Friedel in my opinion. Rickety but a great shot stopper. However, for 3 years now I've had zero confidence from set pieces (including Penalties) and always fear the worst. If QPR are going to bid £3m for our 35 year old keeper then fine by me.

For all the goals we didn't concede last season due to Given's GK skills I wonder how many we did concede because of his frailties as a keeper?

Personally if selling Given allowed us to get in Foster & Butland for no wage increase I'd be delighted.

Thing is if we let Given go and replace him with someone like Green or Butland we'd be downgrading the position, whereas QPR would be improving. If we keep going this route for each position, then we'd end up with a worse team than last season's.

I'm not a fan of Given long contract, but right now he's probably the best goalkeeper available to Villa, so I'd rather he stays until we can actually get an improvement.