Staying at Wigan: Roberto Martinez (Wigan Athletic)

VillanousOne

Yep & Martinez record in the transfer market is hardly inspiring

Di Santo, Bosselli etc etc

Yes but we all shop where our finances allow, Every year he has to start the season minus his best players but he always gets them firing in the end, imagine what he could do if he could add to them players and build a team.

This made me lol

You do realise we have been selling our best players every season since Lerner took over and were no much better than Wigan in that regard

Do not expect him to be able to do any different here and build a team i do not expect us to stop selling our best players every season

We have never had a decent sized squad at Villa for a reason

Its not us selling our best players its our best players wanting to leave

Not a problem confined to Villa, look at Arsenal over the last couple of seasons and probably again this season. Bottom line is players will go to clubs playing CL football or are likely to get that. I don't even think it's necessarily about wages.

We have to build something that encourages players to stay with us. Very hard I know but we have to try. Our best players leaving is a fact of life we may have to live with but that may not be a problem if the sale proceeds are invested well.

Back on topic I do think RM is a good shout and one of two or three good candidates around at the moment.

TBH I'm not sure who Villa fans think we can realistically get to manage the club. Perhaps a little bit of realism needs to prevail.

Win %'s as Wigan Boss

Paul Jewell 43.6%

Steve Bruce 33.8%

Bob Martinez 26.7%

Facts

Yes - yesterdays facts, move on.

different teams different years, not a valid like for like comparison.

Show me OGS stats or MON stats(prior to Villa).

We live in the here and now,

The question is can they do well for us, can they work to a budget, have they got the experience, do they have the right team behind them.

only time can show this not what they have done in the past.

If you look at stats then there are very few managers throughout europe who could be chosen. you have a choice of picking someone who has done it although this doesnt always work or pick a young manager who can build his team and do it.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Martinez.

I'm not naive enough to think he'll come in and a degree of success will be ours as of right in 2/3 years, be that CL qualification, trophies or whatever.

In fact, I'd say both scenarios there are unlikely. Unlikely, but not impossible.

What we do need is a definite change in direction though, to move towards a more progressive style of football. This can only happen with an overhaul in the current playing staff and time. Time being the crucial aspect there.

It might be the next guy in charge reaps the benefits, but it's important we start the process. Wigan might have struggled at the arse end of the table for the past few seasons, but - for a club of their size and resources- that (in a weird way) is success. Little over 10/15 years ago they were in the bottom division. And their style of play has more in common with the top sides than it does the strugglers.

We might not get to where we want to go playing the game with more emphasis on passing, movement and so forth, I accept that. We DEFINITELY won't be anywhere near top 4-6 following the Pulis or McLeish template, the limitations of which have been well shown up at this stage.

Well Martinez has had a few years there now

Yet started 2011/12 season with 8 straight defeats !

Hard to defend that stat

He ended the season with a storming run inc beating newcastle 4-0, Man U 1-0, Liverpool 2-1 and Arsenal 2-1

Hard to attack those stats

A lot depends on the fixture list, It is without doubt players will be brought in and will need time to bed in, as for starting to overhaul our squad this was started last year and the number of people leaving is almost there. now we have the fun of seeing who is coming in.

Hard to defend that stat

No they didn't? First 7 games was W1 D2 L4, not amazing but fact.

I don't watch much of Wigan, but I remember during there losing run, some reviews after the game saying all they needed was a striker to finish off the chances and they would have been winning them games.

Hopefully if we do get Martinez he will be the manager that can get the best out of Darren Bent.

Hard to defend that stat

Started with 8 straight defeats?

Wigan 1-1 Norwich Sat 13 Aug

Swansea 0-0 Wigan Sat 20 Aug

Wigan 2-0 QPR Sat 27 Aug

They did then go on to lose 8 in a row but had to play Spurs, Everton, Man City and Newcastle in that period.

I'm not defending the stat, just saying the way you laid it out was misleading.

I don't watch much of Wigan, but I remember during there losing run, some reviews after the game saying all they needed was a striker to finish off the chances and they would have been winning them games.

Hopefully if we do get Martinez he will be the manager that can get the best out of Darren Bent.

Very true.

Though it must be said, in our home game last season they were as bad as any side I'd seen at VP. Including us.

They have been on the end of some absolute beatings in the past few years too, though (from memory) against Tottingham and Chelsea away they did have a number of key players out. Past the starting XI, Wigan probably have even less depth than us.

I can wear some of that though, some absolute horror shows or games where we don't turn up. Providing there are enough positives in all our other games.

I think RM is a shrewd and positive manager, plenty of enthusiasm and ambition. He'll do much better with these players than AM could ever dream of. I'd be pleased with him as Villa manager.

We do not have the players to turn around such a run

And you'd have said Wigan did before they did it? I wouldn't have.

Nope but Wigan dont have any bad eggs in their side and want to play for the manager we have players who love to get pissed and don't care what happens to the club

If Martinez were to take control would he be able to do much more than McLeish did in regards to these players. He does not look like the disciplinarian type

The appointment of Roberto Martinez would be the first step in the right direction. He can't undo the damage of the last couple of seasons in one summer break, but he can begin the process of turning AVFC into a team that plays proper football. With steady investment and patience from the fans, it will be onwards and upwards Imo.