Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I think he created and scored more than anybody else though, didn't he?

Bent scored more than Gabby last season, not sure about assists though. It probably was Gabby with about 6 assists I think?

He set up half of Bent's goals last season, assisted him by crossing for Bent's goal against Wigan and the two he scored against Norwich. He also won the penalty Bent scored from against WBA.

Well that's conclusive then. His assist/goal combined stats are the highest, his assist/goal ratio is second highest (by my guess), he set up half our leading scorers goals himself, he has most assists and was second top scorer. Clueless.

Yeah I think people are using the correct statement of "Gabby was total shite from February leading the line after Bent's injury" which is correct and no-one can argue against and are extending it to he was useless all last season when he was comfortably our best attacking player up to Xmas as at that point he'd scored as many goals as Bent had in the league (5) and obviousy assisted a few for various players. Also at that point in the season N'zogbia had no goals and no assists.

Well that's conclusive then. His assist/goal combined stats are the highest, his assist/goal ratio is second highest (by my guess), he set up half our leading scorers goals himself, he has most assists and was second top scorer. Clueless.

:thumb:

Third, Keano had 3 goals in 5(1) games.

Forgot about Keane, but that's a very small sample, 5 + (1) games.

I think my case still stands. My case being that Gabby is not clueless, not someone we won't miss. He's had a poor half season, but overall statistically came out better than most over the season. He had a poor season under Houllier, but the season before was second behind Milner on the Goals/Assist combined table.

Forgot about Keane, but that's a very small sample, 5 + (1) games.

I think my case still stands. My case being that Gabby is not clueless, not someone we won't miss. He's had a poor half season, but overall statistically came out better than most over the season. He had a poor season under Houllier, but the season before was second behind Milner on the Goals/Assist combined table.

Completely agree with you. The whole team were absolutely dire once Bent got injured, not helped by the tactics manager. I imagine PL will restore his confidence and hopefully he bangs in a few pre-season.

My thoughts on Gabby, if anyone actually cares:

Gabby is a loyal player, loves the Villa and would stay here until he retired because he loves he club.

Gabby is a loyal player, loves the Villa and would stay here until he retired because he is now on a very decent wage for a player of his ability.

Every season he has a few good months where he is unstoppable, usually early October to mid December. This is followed by a few good goals, a few tap ins, and very little else.

Gabby has never had to play for a contract, he has always been offered an extension, with a pay rise, long before his deal has come to an end. I'm not saying he hasn't deserved these extensions, nor that he hasn't shown (some of) his worth. What I am saying however, is that he has got very comfortable.

I always remember Carew being out for most of the year with a back problem, yet he still outscored Gabby in what was Gabby's most prolific season...even though Carew was now creaking when he moved and the turning circle of a narrow boat.

If we got a bid of £10mish, I'd sell, simply because for the (rumoured) £50k per week could be better spent on somebody better. He earns that money for loyalty, which he fully deserves, but, when they are people better suited to he job you need to move people on.

Gabby is a loyal player, loves the Villa and would stay here until he retired because he loves he club.

A few seasons ago I would have agreed! However I just think hes a player who happens to support the club which creates this 'false' sense of loyalty.

I have no doubt that if Gabby was to pick a team to be succesful with it would be Villa, however he has displayed very little loyalty and love for the club with his sulky performances over the last two years. We are all aware of possible reasons for this and theyve been plastered on here until we are all bored of them.

What I believe is, that if Gabby was truly loyal and loved the club he would have put some graft in for the extortionate wages he earns. He would have gave 100% to Mcleish & Houllier from day 1 (whether he believed in their approach or not). Mcleishs atrocious plan would have been more succesful had the players given him 110% all the time - which is exactly what the club deserves.

For me Gabby joins a host of players in a packed pigeon hole of - 'slim benefit of doubt for the embarrasing last 2 years - needs to get his arse in gear & fast'!!

And lets not forget the second dickhead manager in a row started to select Gabby as a winger for parts of the season (despite him playing really well up front at the start of the season)

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

you will always get this debate on Gabby as we did on Vassell.

both instinct players, given time to think they get it wrong most of the time but if they just have to react then they are/were awesome, i spose it depends on how the coach sets up the team and prepares them for a game.

it's a very good comparison, there'll be some that think that both weren't aren't up to it because of howling errors of judgement, and some that think they are/were fantastic because of the instinctual amazing goals. the truth is in the middle somewhere and it takes a smart manager setting up a team to get the best out of them.

still, very frustrating to watch when they **** it up when you know what they are capable of.

Everyone complains when Downing, Young, Barry, Milner show no loyalty to the club.

Gabby shows loyalty to the club and a lot of fans show no loyalty to him..

Gabby is a good player who loves Villa and that's good enough for me.

I hope he never leaves the club.

Can you believe it? Gabby was about to be subbed by Delfouneso in the 67th minute of a meaningless game and gets a knock and is taken off on a stretcher in the 66th minute.

Gabby got a good headed goal off a Herd cross in the first half versus Chicago Fire. It was a promising outing by Gabby. Lets hope the knock is no more than a bruise and Gabby is back up and ready for the next game at Portland on Tuesday.

It didn't look like a knock to me, Looked like he twisted or over-extended something in the turf whilst changing direction. At first I thought it might have been his quad, but on the ground they seemed to be looking at his knee.

Â