Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Surprised that people are so laid back about the need for a striker. Bent hasn't played a competitive match for a long time and picked up another injury in pre-season, so he's not possibly match fit. Weimann and Delfounso are yet to prove themselves and I don't see our midfield packed with goalscorers. It's a massive priority as far as I can see.

What's annoyed me more is that we've no chance of selling him now. If we're going to rely on Fonz and Weimann for the first quarter of the season then we going to be in trouble again. I personally feel that it is vital we get at least one, if not two strikers in before the season starts with either Fonz or Weimann being shipped out on loan as they are simply not good enough!

• 3 weeks later...
By Paul Brown

Paul Lambert admits Villa are missing Gabby Agbonlahor's pace and power up front.

Agbonlahor is still some weeks from returning to action after damaging the media ligament in his knee during the Chicago Fire match on the tour of USA.

Up until that point, Agbonlahor had been in fine form, showing his grace throughout pre-season.

Discussing Villa's lack of cutting edge after the West Ham opening day defeat, Lambert pointed to Agbonlahor as a big absentee in the final third thrusts.

Lambert is a big fan of the speed demon, who always gives a manager options going forward.

He said: "Losing Gabby has been a blow for us. He's a big player.

"His pace is great for us and he was playing very well in pre season so that was the disappointing thing in losing him.

"It's been a blow, no doubt about it. We're still talking another few weeks before he's back.

"His pace and strength are major pluses for the side. When he comes back we'll be stronger in that department, no doubt."

Lambert is confident, however, that Darren Bent will fire for Villa soon.

Bent found the going tough at Upton Park but Lambert is adamant the star striker needs better service from his team.

He added: "Darren will score, that's for sure. He's a goal threat. We just have to get the service to him. That's the key.

"I thought we had a lot of the ball, especially the first half-hour. We knocked it about well and we started very well.

"But if you have a lot of the ball you've got to try and create. You've got to be more penetrative than what we were. But Bent is a goalscorer!"

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2890923,00.html

Hahahaha please go watch the Acorns video on the Villa OS at the moment with Gabby, Marc, and Stephen...a little over half way through, Jack Woodward asks this kid standing next to Gabby, "So you think Gabby will score a few this season?" and the kid's reaction with a straight look on his face is "If he doesn't get injured!"....The look on Gabby's face is priceless as well as Woodward's awkward laugh reaction

Hahahaha please go watch the Acorns video on the Villa OS at the moment with Gabby, Marc, and Stephen...a little over half way through, Jack Woodward asks this kid standing next to Gabby, "So you think Gabby will score a few this season?" and the kid's reaction with a straight look on his face is "If he doesn't get injured!"....The look on Gabby's face is priceless as well as Woodward's awkward laugh reaction

Haha definite Villa fan mentality :)

• 4 weeks later...

So, seeing as it was given air time on MOTD (is it too much to hope for a gif?), what was Gabby doing whilst sat on the bench?

For those who did not see it, he lifted his shirt up, looked toward towards his crotch, might even of had a feel now that I think about it...

I would presume he was checking that it was still there. No Gabby, you havent worn it out yet.

I can't believe people seriously think that Benteke's arrival might see Gabby going in January or the summer?

Gabby offers us something Bent and Benteke don't. Lambert has already shown that he'll rotate the squad and choose a team best suited to defeat opponents Doesn't even always mean playing your best players (look at Spurs yesterday choosing Bale, Lennon and Defoe instead of Dempsey and Adabeyor, because Reading's defense lacks pace). With Gabby, Bent and Benteke we have 3 completely different strikers, and that gives us fantastic options.

Gabby needs to accept that he's not going to play every game, and he may even be used as an impact sub. But he's been far too comfortable for too long, and simply hasn't been performing. He needs to get fully fit, get his pace back, and then he can be unleashed on those teams who are suspect with pace at the back. The right combinations of our 3 main strikers will mean we can score past anyone. No more repeats of last season where we're going against a big back 4 with just Bent up front trying desperate to get on the end of a long ball.

Bent setup Benteke with a sitter and won a flick on which resulted (after a mistake by the defender) in his goal, all in the last 5 minutes, so I don't agree that Bent should have gone off.

I would have preferred Gabby to come on instead of Zog though.

I'd start Gab against Soton in place of Bent, and alongside Bentekkers. The man is made to play away from home, causes all manner of problems, and if we need a goal, Bent will cause them more worry than Gab coming on.

We're likely to have to do a bit of defending against them hunting their first points, Gab and Benteke will help us hold it in their half much better than Bent.

From the attitude of him in the u21's i'd leave him out for a while. Didnt take the blind bit of notice in the game ( because he booked a weekend off due to international break to new york and villa said he needs to come in and get more fitness and play with the u21's ).

Either leave weimann have more of a chance or leave the God ( Benteke ) up front alongside Bent.

Â