Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Seems QPR are leading the chase for Hoillett. Shame as he's a great talent. Would love him at VP. Though you do question his attitude if he moves to a club for money reasons over football at his age.

If the same happens again and Bent picks up a bad injury does anyone think Gabby is good enough to provide the goal tally needed to keep us in the Premiership?

That's why we desperately need to buy another quality striker. Been saying this for the last two seasons now as Gabby is simply not prolific enough. If we ignore this again then another injury to Bent will leave us struggling again!

No.

But realistically - who can we bring in that will provide the goals if bent gets injured ?

I dont think there is anyone out there for the kind of money we have.

gabby over the course of a season is not worth his reported £50k+ a week, unless the ball is over the top gabby is a waste,he lacks a "football brain",no matter who the manager is..you carnt teach a player how to think for him self,gabby blows hot & cold..more often cold, robbie keane showed what we need from the strikers last year,if PL gets a striker who nets i can see ga being sold

Agbonlahor is always gong to receive a lot of attention, positive and negative, from Villa fans, because he's one himself.

A lot his made of his mind, is he stupid or clever?

He hasn't had to use it as much as others, in the youth he was bigger, stronger quicker than everyone else so had an easy time

He arrived in to the Premiership with a bump, was still very quick so defenders decided to take him out whilst he was running or stop him from running at all so bulked up.

We have to realise just how much physical abuse he takes, not only from himself with the extensive weight training he has done but also every game he plays from the defenders, next time you're watching a Villa game, keep an eye on him only, I did against Liverpool last season and he got kicked, pinched, punched, grabbed, elbowed etc all the way through. I watched him in games following that and same happened, I know a lot of players receive this treatment but that adds to my point, regarding his injury issue, you wouldn't have a go at a boxer for having a black eye from getting punched, but at the same time he chose to get in to the ring.

He is clever, in some senses. He's a better crosser of the ball than he's given credit for and can pick a pass when he gets his head up.

Tying in with the game-by-game batterings he takes. He's a wind up and a very good one, he can give it and take it extremely well. I've seen him frustrate a defender more than he frustrates his own fans, tying them in knots then charging past him.

He is a fantastic athlete, explosive, strong and quick. He scares the shit out of defenders

People say "His reputation is tarnished, other clubs wouldn't want him". I don't agree, watch Match of the Day or any programme similar and pay attention when he comes up in conversation, they're scared of him too. Don't forget they don't watch him as much as we do.

Plus no one watches us, Aston Villa, as much as they did when O'Neil was in charge and we were finishing 6th, people don't watch the boring teams as closely as they do the exciting/on the brink of successful teams. They still think of him as the O'Neil Gabby.

Imagine the conversation between opposing defenders at the start of the season he bulked up;

"Bloody Hell that new villa kid was quick wasn't he? We'll just knock him off the ball or take him out before he even gets to it, like we did last season"

Suddenly another defender comes rushing up to the conversation, panic in his eyes

"Lads, you'll never guess what? Bad news. You know that quick Villa kid from last season?" "Yeah we were just talking about him, we've decided to just knock him off the ball"

"We'll have a job! He's built like a brick shithouse now"

"Oh dear, guess we're just gonna have to stick the boot in on him double time!"

He does have a lot of pressure on his shoulders, to be fair. Not just in being a Villa fan but he's also built a reputation being a player who turns hit and hopes in to goal scoring chances latching on to them with a burst of pace. Another thing that'd worry defenders as they see something they imagined to be going out of play suddenly picked up catching them unaware. There's a level of expectation. When Agbonlahor doesn't get to a ball he's attempting to get onto, there's the same level of disappointment in the crowd as when Bent misses a sitter or Given spills a cross.

The thing with Gabby is he runs at a million miles an hour and thinks at that pace too. If you notice, it's only once play has slowed down, or more specifically, he's slowed down with the ball at his feet, that he doesn't know what to do, which is the reason why he's shite at 1-on-1s, becaue he has to think.

He's at his best, and arguably untouchable, without time to think. Playing on impulse he naturally soars.

In my opinion he has been undercoached, it's an assumption yes, but I feel that way because his plan A has been so effective all the way through his development, but now with each season he plays in the Premiership, he has to develop yet another string to his bow with oppositions working him out; First he was quick, then he was strong, now it's time for him to...score goals...odd for a striker :)

The only thing slow about him is his development. after a lifetime of being head and shoulders above the rest in the youth system, he's having to learn the things now, that most players had to learn whilst he was whizzing past them.

His strength is what sets him apart from Walcott, Lennon and all those types. But I do think their intelligence and speed of thought is improving quicker than his. He's almost in a category of his own.

Plus he doesn't have the players around him that he used to, and their way of thinking to get the best out of him.

Ashley young - "Just stay onside and I'll knock the ball in front of you and you just run on to it"

Downing - "I'll knock the ball in to a dangerous area and you run on and get it"

Carew - "I'll hold off the opposition with my little finger and knock it in to space for you to run on to"

Milner - "I'll do all the hard work, win the ball and knock it in to your path"

Barry - "Yeah so will I"

Basically all his team-mates telling him to follow the path to where they pass it.

Now he's surrounded by -

N'Zogbia - "I will just tit about with it and give it to your feet"

Bent - "Not my problem mate, not my area of expertise, I'll be in the right place right time to tap it in"

So Gabby is having to learn where the right place, right time is.

Ireland - "When I can be arsed, I'll play a clever ball to you and then make a run, you guess where I'm going to go and pass it there". (Gabby - What?)

And , with Heskey, who he was partnered with up until very recently, He saw an experienced player having a tough time, losing his cool about the batterings he takes in battles with defenders and generally not enjoying it anymore.

In my opinion, I don't think Agbonlahor is adaptable at all and that's why I feel the management changes will have effected him more than most. Under O'Neil he had a team that suited him, like I wrote earlier. Houllier confused him and to be blunt, didn't fancy him. And Agbonlahor seemed to have felt unmotivated by Mcleish (Like a lot of people).

I do think the fact he's a Villa fan has some huge effect. Imagine living the dream of the forty thousand people that surround you. On the flip side of that, imagine being the embodiment of what the majority of people around you hate. A good example is of course everytime he has to turn up at Saint Andrews. We'd all like to do it in our dreans where the outcome is determined by our imagination and incosequential, we'd all score a double hat-trick and wind them up no end.

But what if it was real life? And they've beat you (Like they did couple of seasons ago under Houllier when our next manager was watching on) and are invading the pitch and you know you're the one they're coming for and you've hurt them in the past. Or In a shit performance, like the Norwich game (Under our last manager with our next manager watching on...there's a pattern emerging here :D ) and you're captain and you've never been the responcible one throughout your career.

Basically, I feel the pressure's on. I hope he can step up to it because he's an exciting player who, like I've already written, most opposition players and managers' are scared of. Although, if he does have a bad season this season he may lose that reputation.

Agbonlahor is always gong to receive a lot of attention, positive and negative, from Villa fans, because he's one himself.

A lot his made of his mind, is he stupid or clever?

He hasn't had to use it as much as others, in the youth he was bigger, stronger quicker than everyone else so had an easy time

He arrived in to the Premiership with a bump, was still very quick so defenders decided to take him out whilst he was running or stop him from running at all so bulked up.

We have to realise just how much physical abuse he takes, not only from himself with the extensive weight training he has done but also every game he plays from the defenders, next time you're watching a Villa game, keep an eye on him only, I did against Liverpool last season and he got kicked, pinched, punched, grabbed, elbowed etc all the way through. I watched him in games following that and same happened, I know a lot of players receive this treatment but that adds to my point, regarding his injury issue, you wouldn't have a go at a boxer for having a black eye from getting punched, but at the same time he chose to get in to the ring.

He is clever, in some senses. He's a better crosser of the ball than he's given credit for and can pick a pass when he gets his head up.

Tying in with the game-by-game batterings he takes. He's a wind up and a very good one, he can give it and take it extremely well. I've seen him frustrate a defender more than he frustrates his own fans, tying them in knots then charging past him.

He is a fantastic athlete, explosive, strong and quick. He scares the shit out of defenders

People say "His reputation is tarnished, other clubs wouldn't want him". I don't agree, watch Match of the Day or any programme similar and pay attention when he comes up in conversation, they're scared of him too. Don't forget they don't watch him as much as we do.

Plus no one watches us, Aston Villa, as much as they did when O'Neil was in charge and we were finishing 6th, people don't watch the boring teams as closely as they do the exciting/on the brink of successful teams. They still think of him as the O'Neil Gabby.

Imagine the conversation between opposing defenders at the start of the season he bulked up;

"Bloody Hell that new villa kid was quick wasn't he? We'll just knock him off the ball or take him out before he even gets to it, like we did last season"

Suddenly another defender comes rushing up to the conversation, panic in his eyes

"Lads, you'll never guess what? Bad news. You know that quick Villa kid from last season?" "Yeah we were just talking about him, we've decided to just knock him off the ball"

"We'll have a job! He's built like a brick shithouse now"

"Oh dear, guess we're just gonna have to stick the boot in on him double time!"

He does have a lot of pressure on his shoulders, to be fair. Not just in being a Villa fan but he's also built a reputation being a player who turns hit and hopes in to goal scoring chances latching on to them with a burst of pace. Another thing that'd worry defenders as they see something they imagined to be going out of play suddenly picked up catching them unaware. There's a level of expectation. When Agbonlahor doesn't get to a ball he's attempting to get onto, there's the same level of disappointment in the crowd as when Bent misses a sitter or Given spills a cross.

The thing with Gabby is he runs at a million miles an hour and thinks at that pace too. If you notice, it's only once play has slowed down, or more specifically, he's slowed down with the ball at his feet, that he doesn't know what to do, which is the reason why he's shite at 1-on-1s, becaue he has to think.

He's at his best, and arguably untouchable, without time to think. Playing on impulse he naturally soars.

In my opinion he has been undercoached, it's an assumption yes, but I feel that way because his plan A has been so effective all the way through his development, but now with each season he plays in the Premiership, he has to develop yet another string to his bow with oppositions working him out; First he was quick, then he was strong, now it's time for him to...score goals...odd for a striker :)

The only thing slow about him is his development. after a lifetime of being head and shoulders above the rest in the youth system, he's having to learn the things now, that most players had to learn whilst he was whizzing past them.

His strength is what sets him apart from Walcott, Lennon and all those types. But I do think their intelligence and speed of thought is improving quicker than his. He's almost in a category of his own.

Plus he doesn't have the players around him that he used to, and their way of thinking to get the best out of him.

Ashley young - "Just stay onside and I'll knock the ball in front of you and you just run on to it"

Downing - "I'll knock the ball in to a dangerous area and you run on and get it"

Carew - "I'll hold off the opposition with my little finger and knock it in to space for you to run on to"

Milner - "I'll do all the hard work, win the ball and knock it in to your path"

Barry - "Yeah so will I"

Basically all his team-mates telling him to follow the path to where they pass it.

Now he's surrounded by -

N'Zogbia - "I will just tit about with it and give it to your feet"

Bent - "Not my problem mate, not my area of expertise, I'll be in the right place right time to tap it in"

So Gabby is having to learn where the right place, right time is.

Ireland - "When I can be arsed, I'll play a clever ball to you and then make a run, you guess where I'm going to go and pass it there". (Gabby - What?)

And , with Heskey, who he was partnered with up until very recently, He saw an experienced player having a tough time, losing his cool about the batterings he takes in battles with defenders and generally not enjoying it anymore.

In my opinion, I don't think Agbonlahor is adaptable at all and that's why I feel the management changes will have effected him more than most. Under O'Neil he had a team that suited him, like I wrote earlier. Houllier confused him and to be blunt, didn't fancy him. And Agbonlahor seemed to have felt unmotivated by Mcleish (Like a lot of people).

I do think the fact he's a Villa fan has some huge effect. Imagine living the dream of the forty thousand people that surround you. On the flip side of that, imagine being the embodiment of what the majority of people around you hate. A good example is of course everytime he has to turn up at Saint Andrews. We'd all like to do it in our dreans where the outcome is determined by our imagination and incosequential, we'd all score a double hat-trick and wind them up no end.

But what if it was real life? And they've beat you (Like they did couple of seasons ago under Houllier when our next manager was watching on) and are invading the pitch and you know you're the one they're coming for and you've hurt them in the past. Or In a shit performance, like the Norwich game (Under our last manager with our next manager watching on...there's a pattern emerging here :D ) and you're captain and you've never been the responcible one throughout your career.

Basically, I feel the pressure's on. I hope he can step up to it because he's an exciting player who, like I've already written, most opposition players and managers' are scared of. Although, if he does have a bad season this season he may lose that reputation.

Great summarisation.lol

just read he has 8 goals in 58 games, terrible record for a forward and definitely in last chance saloon

He has scored 50 goals for Villa in the Premier League.

Only Dwight Yorke has done the same.

He's in good company is our Gabby.

True but how many games did it take him to score 50?

Gabby and Bent in theory would possibly be the most terrifying strike force in the league. Pace and movement, for 90 minutes.

But In theory communism is perfect, practice not so much...

If they did ever get the chance to play together, theoretically they should tear defences apart. But I still believe we only need 1 striker up top.

I hope Gabby is given 1 more season. He is still relatively young and has shown enough quality over the years to prove he can be a very good player. A run in a good confidant team will do him wonders.

On the other hand if MON does offer silly money for him and the funds will be used to purchase a replacement then maybe it might be the best move for all involved.

Gabby and Bent in theory would possibly be the most terrifying strike force in the league. Pace and movement, for 90 minutes.

But In theory communism is perfect, practice not so much...

Isn't there a rule that as soon as this is said, the thread is closed?

Make or break season for him both in terms of his career at Villa and his career in general I think. The last two years can be excused or explained some extent by the goings on at the club but he won't get away with a third season like it. Another season like the last two and I think Lambert will push him out the club and he will struggle to get a decent move after 3 bad seasons.

I like Gabby, I have a degree of sympathy for him for what has happened in the last two years but whatever happens he needs to perform next season both for his own and the clubs sake.

I agree with this.

People are forgetting he was comfortably our best attacking player from August-December. Scored 5 and set up half of Bent's goals.

That said, he was a big let down when Bent got injured. Failed to step up big time when we needed it so yes he does need to deliver this season as Lambert gives the impression he will suffer no fools no matter how big a name the player at this club is.

Â