Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

last chance saloon for gabby this season. ive never rated him, but he did look like he was improving every close season until a couple of years ago. now he's too big, not as fast and still a complete mule on the ball. if we got a decent bid now i'd sell him, but otherwise i'd keep him and flog him off to mon for £10m in summer

and im not saying he's worth £10m in todays market, just that if anyone's going to pay stupid money for an average player, it'll be o'neill

just read he has 8 goals in 58 games, terrible record for a forward and definitely in last chance saloon

Lowton had 6 in 44 last season and he's a right back.. I know League 1 is a bit easier but still a right back shouldn't be coming close to one of our main strikers no matter the league.

Delph.

Gabby is a quality striker who has suffered in the last couple of years by being injured a lot and last season playing in a team team that wasn't set up to attack. I look forward to seeing his this season, fully fit, and with Lambert in charge.

A bit of info to share. Gabby is having a large house built on Roman Road in Little Aston having demolished the previous house so that suggests he will not be voluntarily moving away from Villa.

As for the boo boys on here lets not forget Gabby was played out of position by our esteemed former manager last season and was seemingly carrying an injury too so its no surprise that he was not scoring and looked poor.

He scored 16 goals in 46 games in the 2009-2010 season when he had service from Milner, Downing and Young in a fantastic midfield The following season he scored 5 in 31 and last season 6 from 36.

The last two seasons have not been great and he definitely has not been at his best but you have to factor in the muddled management, loss of key players and the general poor form of our midfield together with being played as a left winger plus his injuries

Gabby is not the brightest tool in the box but given the right formation and direction he can do a great job for us. I have a sneaking suspicion that Lamber will get the very best out of him. I also admire him because I think he is one probably the only player at the club who genuinely play for the badge.

I hate that excuse that he's been battling injury.. Every single bad game he had last season was met with "I think he might be injured", if he was injured he wouldn't be playing simple as that. It's a petty excuse it really is. He may be a fan favourite but when he plays badly do yourself a favour, stop lying to yourself and admit he was shit. Now I am hoping he's better next season, but I do not buy excuses of him being injured as he was injured all season if some of his supporters were to be believed which is bullshit by the way.

A bit of info to share. Gabby is having a large house built on Roman Road in Little Aston having demolished the previous house so that suggests he will not be voluntarily moving away from Villa.

As for the boo boys on here lets not forget Gabby was played out of position by our esteemed former manager last season and was seemingly carrying an injury too so its no surprise that he was not scoring and looked poor.

He scored 16 goals in 46 games in the 2009-2010 season when he had service from Milner, Downing and Young in a fantastic midfield The following season he scored 5 in 31 and last season 6 from 36.

The last two seasons have not been great and he definitely has not been at his best but you have to factor in the muddled management, loss of key players and the general poor form of our midfield together with being played as a left winger plus his injuries

Gabby is not the brightest tool in the box but given the right formation and direction he can do a great job for us. I have a sneaking suspicion that Lamber will get the very best out of him. I also admire him because I think he is one probably the only player at the club who genuinely play for the badge.

Even if he was injured at the end of last season....he was still given the captaincy for his dream team and he showed a complete lack of interest in it

Make or break season for him both in terms of his career at Villa and his career in general I think. The last two years can be excused or explained some extent by the goings on at the club but he won't get away with a third season like it. Another season like the last two and I think Lambert will push him out the club and he will struggle to get a decent move after 3 bad seasons.

I like Gabby, I have a degree of sympathy for him for what has happened in the last two years but whatever happens he needs to perform next season both for his own and the clubs sake.

I like Gabby I think he offers a lot. I cant understand the criticism.

Maybe it's because he's a striker but he can't shoot accurately and doesn't score goals? Or maybe it's because when made captain of his boyhood team last season he didn't up his game or show any leadership skills and instead did show a distinct lack of effort? Or maybe it's because he's never been particularly good, he was just quick but then decided to pack on muscle and lose his best asset?

I don't think he's a terrible player, but he's not particularly good and we should be aiming for better, especially considering the reported wages he's on. I want Gabby to come good as much as anyone, but he's had plenty of chances now, I wouldn't be sad to see him go. He's ridden his local hero status for far too long in my opinion.

According to wiki, last season he had 36 appearances and 6 goals total. The season before that was 5 in 35 If that's a good enough return for you from a striker then fair enough, not for me though.

He's not worth the wages he's on with regards not just to the fact that he doesn't score many goals, but he doesn't put a shift in either. Mr Aston Villa my ass.

It's no surprise to anyone that the entire team was essentially shite last season and not much better the season before. I'm not just singling Gabby out as an under-performer, just this is his thread so this the place to talk about him specifically.

However, the fact is he is a senior striker and it is his job to score goals, of which he doesn't score enough. Heskey was constantly berated for the same thing yet some people defend Gabby to the death.

You keep saying he was top of the pile last season. He should be top or near the top the pile since it's his role in the team to do that! It's not an achievement, it's what he gets paid a stupid amount of money to do and the only reason he did it last season was down to the fact that he was our main striker and the whole team was crap. Also let's not forget that Bent was injured for a lengthy amount of time last season.

It's no surprise to anyone that the entire team was essentially shite last season and not much better the season before. I'm not just singling Gabby out as an under-performer, just this is his thread so this the place to talk about him specifically.

I know you're singling him out. I just cant understand why.

However, the fact is he is a senior striker and it is his job to score goals, of which he doesn't score enough. Heskey was constantly berated for the same thing yet some people defend Gabby to the death.

Just score goals? not necessarily.

You keep saying he was top of the pile last season. He should be top or near the top the pile since it's his role in the team to do that! It's not an achievement, it's what he gets paid a stupid amount of money to do and the only reason he did it last season was down to the fact that he was our main striker and the whole team was crap. Also let's not forget that Bent was injured for a lengthy amount of time last season.

He should be top of the pile and he was top of the pile, what's your point? Even with Bent's injury I think his ratio of goals + assists (10 for Bent) per game is only a bit better than Gabby's.

My point is that you are praising him for being top of the pile last season like it was an achievement and it wasn't. He was our only real senior striker for long periods towards the end of the season and he still put in a lack of effort and only scored 6 goals all season. Just because a striker scores 6 goals in a season and he is the top scorer does not mean that he has had a good campaign or indeed is a good player.

As for me saying I'm not singling him out and you saying I am, it's funny you know what I mean more than I do. As for not knowing why, you even quoted why. This is the Gabby Agbonlahor thread, guess what the topic of conversation is meant to be about?

Do you really think Bent is only a little ahead of Gabby with regards to being a good striker and goalscorer? Gabby is nowhere near Bent in terms of being able to score goals. You argued that point earlier that goals are not the only responsibility a striker has, I agree somewhat, but it is generally what strikers are judged on and even if it wasn't Gabby still does not do enough of the other things anyway so it's a moot point really.

Â