Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

54 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Just two points here, 1. He didn't really dedicate his career to Villa, he stayed here because we continually overpaid him and no other club better than us ever wanted him. 2. Despite what Sky would have you believe, football wasn't invented in 1992.

I think you may have failed to understand my post. It was to highlight the contrasting views in a light hearted manner.

And I'm fully aware football was not invented in 1992  but thanks for letting me know anyway , however again you appear to have missed the word ' Prem' prior to the word goals. 'Prem' being short the Premier league.

Try reading a post properly next time.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

If he'd said 'he has scored more league goals for us than anyone else in the last quarter of a century', it would be just as true. 

It might be true - but it's still a ridiculously low return for a striker given the amount of games played - I wouldn't shout too loud about this if I were him.

I really don't think there are any more discussions to be had on Gabby, it has been the same arguments for the past 5 years, both sides with valid points. It is just for the best he is now being released, and personally, I will applaud him off, but is a big fat "meh" from me. After over a decade at the club that speaks volumes.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dave J said:

It might be true - but it's still a ridiculously low return for a striker given the amount of games played - I wouldn't shout too loud about this if I were him.

I would shout loud if I scored a single goal for the Villa, let alone been the record PL scorer.

Dave, I think your dislike of Gabby clouds your judgement sometimes, you're not wrong in most of what you say but I think it gets to you more than most for some reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I would shout loud if I scored a single goal for the Villa, let alone been the record PL scorer.

Dave, I think your dislike of Gabby clouds your judgement sometimes, you're not wrong in most of what you say but I think it gets to you more than most for some reason.

Let's have it right though - only a dislike as a professional footballer - not as a human being I've never made a comment about him as a person or been abusive towards him.

He has been a Hero and deserves to have his name chanted by the crowd

I for one will be singing his praises

Although I would only bring him on for last ten minutes IF we have not had to use all the subs by then . I would not hold back a genuine substitution for his swansong 

He has certainly had his moments and deserves respect. Yes he has been a joke here for the past three seasons (this one inclusive) and yes he has had a few poor seasons outside of that. But we certainly got good value from him from 2006-2010, he was also good for 2012/13 season and turned it on at the right time during the 2014/2015 season. So 5 or6 seasons that were at minimum pretty good and another 1 or 2 decent ones is a good return for a homegrown player.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He'll get a great sendoff on Saturday, and rightly so.

If this makes you happy then please feel free to join in - personally I'll reserve my applause for true club legends - the one's that you can call upon when the chips are down.

Go for it though !!

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He has certainly had his moments and deserves respect. Yes he has been a joke here for the past three seasons (this one inclusive) and yes he has had a few poor seasons outside of that. But we certainly got good value from him from 2006-2010, he was also good for 2012/13 season and turned it on at the right time during the 2014/2015 season. So 5 or6 seasons that were at minimum pretty good and another 1 or 2 decent ones is a good return for a homegrown player.

That is a very fair summing up.

I think a combination of seeing him make his debut as a 19 year old, the fact he scored a lot of crucial goals for us in big games and the fact he has made so many appearances for us I can't help but have a soft spot for him despite his obvious failings.

Overall almost 90 goals in almost 400 appearances, at least half of which were playing out wide, isn't a bad return. His legacy being enhanced by the fact he scored a lot of memorable goals especially in derby games that we will all look back on for years to come.

As I and others have already said he'll get a good send off on Saturday as enough of us think overall he deserves it.

17 minutes ago, Dave J said:

If this makes you happy then please feel free to join in - personally I'll reserve my applause for true club legends - the one's that you can call upon when the chips are down.

Go for it though !!

Fortunately, 99% of the fans at the ground won't have the weird, obsessive dislike of Gabby that you have.

If you're there, I imagine you'll be in a very very tiny minority of people not giving him a sendoff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For what it's worth I met Gabby one time.

I share the negative views that many on here do about his playing career. But when I nervously approached a table of Villa players on a pre-season tour, Gabby was the one who got up, welcomed me, took control of the situation and couldn't have been more professional or pleasant. He was the most mature out of all of the young lads sitting there who included Bannan & Lowton. 

Oh and Bent was right misery.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Fortunately, 99% of the fans at the ground won't have the weird, obsessive dislike of Gabby that you have.

If you're there, I imagine you'll be in a very very tiny minority of people not giving him a sendoff.

Ok ! 

Â