Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I enjoyed the Video, I like to see any Aston Villa player score goals.

Gabby comes across well, but that was not really what was being debated.....I have no doubt he is a decent lad.

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Congrats on proving @lapal_fan‘s point :D

but he hasn't proved Lapal's point.;)

Dave  just said he was lucky that he had seen them.

I didn't see Duncan Edwards.....but i know of his legendary status....and more importantly wouldn't argue with it.

Edited by TRO

20 hours ago, Dave J said:

That makes absolutely no flaming sense at all - legends are legends because of their ability not their era - get with the programme - Andy Lochhead is a club legend, Bruce Ricoh, John Gidman, Alex Cropley shall I go on ?

Neither to me:)

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

I see you follow your normal habit of copy and pasting a couple of lines from a post to suit yourself - but hey it's a forum so fill your boots everyone has a right to their point of view.

Aren’t I agreeing with you here? I don’t regard vassell or gabby as a “legend”

but that wasn’t the point of my previous posts (or lapal’s)

whcih shows once again that you’re missing the point

Edited by Stevo985

Gabby clearly went past his use by date here by about 3 years but I don't think his contribution to the team can be questioned certainly not during his first 4 or 5 years in the first team. He held down a place in a top third Premier League side on merit and certainly was in no way a weak link. In fact I always felt during that time if he was out we were less of an attacking threat. Even between 2011 and 2015 he scored and made a number of important goals for us.

I think some also give him a raw deal ability wise. Yes he was very much reliant on pace but he was also good in the air and linked up well with others, certainly as he alluded to himself he formed a very good understanding with Young and Carew. I think you only have to look at his goals to see he was more than simply just a pace merchant.

Anyway I am off to Villa Park now to give him a resounding send off and then all that will be left are a fair few great memories and thoughts of what might have been. For him and us.

Great video to watch makes me remember how good it used to be to watch us play and win regulary in the prem, gabbys decline has pretty much been in line with the clubs decline too would be very fitting for him to leave as we a promoted, would be a sign that these terrible years are finally behind us. 

I´d have him on the bench ahead of Hogan. I´d do it for the playoffs too.

If he´s fit. I think Hogan only gets in the squad ahead of Davis for example because Hogan was so expensive. 

It would be a good way for Gabby to end his time at the club by scoring in the playoff final. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

I´d have him on the bench ahead of Hogan. I´d do it for the playoffs too.

If he´s fit. I think Hogan only gets in the squad ahead of Davis for example because he was so expensive. 

Let's not get carried away. he hasn't played any part in this squad achieving what they have so far, would be insulting to have him on the bench ahead of Hogan who's played a part all season. Also there's the fact that agbonlahor is shit and is nowhere near good enough to play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Gabby clearly went past his use by date here by about 3 years but I don't think his contribution to the team can be questioned certainly not during his first 4 or 5 years in the first team. He held down a place in a top third Premier League side on merit and certainly was in no way a weak link. In fact I always felt during that time if he was out we were less of an attacking threat. Even between 2011 and 2015 he scored and made a number of important goals for us.

I think some also give him a raw deal ability wise. Yes he was very much reliant on pace but he was also good in the air and linked up well with others, certainly as he alluded to himself he formed a very good understanding with Young and Carew. I think you only have to look at his goals to see he was more than simply just a pace merchant.

Anyway I am off to Villa Park now to give him a resounding send off and then all that will be left are a fair few great memories and thoughts of what might have been. For him and us.

16 Headed goals in 13 seasons.....good in the air, come on Mark.

His goals were always associated with excitement because goals derived from pace do, create excitement

Great goal scorers find a goal when a TEAM needs one.

Look, I admire your liking for him, good for you.

I'm off to Villa Park shortly, to cheer my Team to Victory.:)

UTV

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

16 Headed goals in 13 seasons.....good in the air, come on Mark.

His goals were always associated with excitement because goals derived from pace do, create excitement

Look, I admire your liking for him, good for you.

I'm off to Villa Park shortly, to cheer my Team to Victory.:)

UTV

Who mentioned just scoring goals with his head? I think he was decent in the air given he is not the biggest and wasn't actually seen as a central striker given he played over half his games for us out wide.

I have never ever got close to saying Gabby was a great goal scorer. No one in their right mind would claim that. He certainly found a number of goals at crucial times for us though.

I know you don't rate him mate which is fair enough. I'd hope you'd join the vast majority of us though in giving him a good send off before today's game.

Edited by markavfc40

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

In fairness, there's a whole host of winners in big games that could be listed here. The thing he's given us is a lot of goals and some really, really big ones. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Great video to watch makes me remember how good it used to be to watch us play and win regulary in the prem,

It was kind of hard to watch parts of that video, showing around '08.

Young, Carew, Laursen, Barry, Gabby at his best. Acorns on the shirt. The entire optimism around the club.

What a shit **** decade it's been since. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

In fairness, there's a whole host of winners in big games that could be listed here. The thing he's given us is a lot of goals and some really, really big ones. 

It is probably the one thing you can't criticise him for because he did produce in some big games for us.

I just don't get the total disregard from some with regard to his contribution for us. He was deemed by a lot of managers to be good enough to play almost 400 times for us. Probably one of the reasons for his decline in fact was that he did play for so many managers and that lack of stability after 2010.

Regardless of that though almost 400 games and 90 goals has to, despite his obvious failings, warrant a special send off surely. If not then I am not sure when one will be required again as it will be years before we again see a local lad come through the academy and get up to anything like those kind of numbers in terms of appearances and goals.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

So for the people calling him a legend..... here's a question for you....

Do you honestly think that in 10 years time his name will be revered alongside the likes of Shaw, Morley, Withe, McGrath, Atkinson, Spinx? Or even Laursen, Mellberg, JPA, Saunders?

I would put money on the answer being no. He will just become a stat that gets pulled out from time to time.

A real shame as he could and should have been much more. An even bigger shame that the club has been at such a low ebb for over 20 years that people who have not been lucky enough to see true legends play in our colours only have Agbonlahor to generate this level of admiration.

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Did he do a goodbye speech

He said a few words at the end after a nice touch from John Terry (who was being interviewed on the pitch during the lap of appreciation) acknowledging Gabby and getting him on to the mic to speak. He was well received before the game and then that touch at the end and final few words was fitting.

That is that though not much else to be said as he has arguably been yesterdays man for some time and now, aside from a number of goals which will live long in the memory, well and truly is as far as we are concerned. 

• Like 4

Â