Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Oh right, so unless you're 30 or older, you can never say there's been any "legends"? 

So for the people like myself (at 31) who only really remembers Yorke out of that list, because while Ugo was good, he was never a legend (only applicable for dead people perhaps?) - then in my 31 years on planet Earth, I haven't seen any "legends"? 

Surely a legend is subjective to what you've seen.  I've seen very little of McGrath, I don't even remember any of the others playing, because I wasn't born.  So in my eyes, the legends are the ones who have bought me, my personal happiness during my support of the club.  

There may well be a list of club legends somewhere, but what you put is absolute bollocks, sorry. 

JPA, Carew, Barry, Southgate, Bozzie, Carew, Mellberg, Laursen, Deano, Vassell, Gabby, Young - these are MY legends.  Of course, I recognise the contributions other players of our history have brought, but I haven't seen the vast majority of their contributions, just video clips from our good matches and finals.  

If you want to be respected, you may well start respecting other peoples arbitrary lists, rather than discounting them on the basis of age. 

Until you mentioned Gabby and Vassell as legends your list was stacking up - but that's where it all falls apart.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Until you mentioned Gabby and Vassell as legends your list was stacking up - but that's where it all falls apart.

In your view. 

Which seems to be the only opinion which you can see.  

It's like you've ignored the rest of my post, or are unable to understand it. 

No point, good day. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

What he is paid is almost irrelevant really in terms of us acknowledging him. There are many players who contribution to wages wise have done far less for far more than Gabby.

I get why a lot of younger fans feel an attachment to him and see him as a modern day legend even though I wouldn't give him that tag. Over the last 15 years or so he has been associated with most of our good moments. The three seasons of finishing 6th, which included our highest Prem League points total, he was an integral part of that side. The run to the League Cup and FA Cup finals. Again an integral part of those sides. The numerous derby games he has scored in. The goals he scored in wins at Old Trafford and the Emiriates. 

For fans like me and you who were fortunate enough to see us win numerous things then him being a vital part of a side that finished 6th three times on the spin and reached a couple of major finals may not seem like a big deal. To a fan for whom that is as good as they have seen then it will understandably mean a lot.

My daughter is 19 and has had a season ticket since she was 5 so this is her 14th season. She thinks a lot of Gabby for the reasons I gave above that so many of the good moments she has enjoyed in her time going he has been a part of or in terms of individual moments solely responsible for. I got to be honest as well mate I have a real soft spot for him despite his obvious failings. Local lad, came through the ranks, did exceptionally well for a time and lost his way. Played nearly 400 times for us and banged in almost 90 goals. Not reaching the heights of many others but still quite the story and one that deserves a doff of the cap and a resounding send off. 

I get all that.

Mark, I was talking to him a few weeks back, so I have no personal axe to grind, if anything I could be influenced by that.

but I have my opinions, you have yours.

Edited by TRO

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

Fair Comment

No,......but I would turn up.

I accept all what you say.....my problem is I have never rated him like some have and for me the whole situation has got worse not better......I am not really just basing my sentiments on his goals return alone its just watching him play, is my main downer on him, the lack of Nous in the box and intelligent movement, the inability to dribble past a player.....its was always just raw pace and not much else, sorry.

FWIW Its only my thoughts and I guess i am in the minority.

Yep absolutely bang on the money - which is why I have never rated him.

i will also accept to being in the minority.

18 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

In your view. 

Which seems to be the only opinion which you can see.  

It's like you've ignored the rest of my post, or are unable to understand it. 

No point, good day. 

That's a little rude and yes of course I understand - what you don't realise is your just saying the same as me but for your own era.

As for Gabby and Vassell being legends I'm sorry I must take you to task again.

very quick, very limited - maybe I am just a little luckier than you having seen the players I have, but I can assure you that they are head and shoulders above anyone on your list - which I must admit in the main is a very lmpressive list that you have complied 

14 minutes ago, Dave J said:

That's a little rude and yes of course I understand - what you don't realise is your just saying the same as me but for your own era.

very quick, very limited - maybe I am just a little luckier than you having seen the players I have, but I can assure you that they are head and shoulders above anyone on your list - which I must admit in the main is a very lmpressive list that you have complied 

You seem to have ignored the part where he says they're HIS legends. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Vassell was the weird one, but I liked him because he worked bloody hard and he scored a wonder goal against holland.

I understand what you're saying.

But I still don't think you understand what I am saying. You have called other people's opinions (paraphrasing) "wrong" because they don't match YOUR criteria.

(just seen other people make my point.) 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Congrats on proving @lapal_fan‘s point :D

That makes absolutely no flaming sense at all - legends are legends because of their ability not their era - get with the programme - Andy Lochhead is a club legend, Bruce Ricoh, John Gidman, Alex Cropley shall I go on ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave J said:

That makes absolutely no flaming sense at all - legends are legends because of their ability not their era - get with the programme - Andy Lochhead is a club legend, Bruce Ricoh, John Gidman, Alex Cropley shall I go on ?

You’re still proving his point. 

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I think you are just trying to be clever now Stevo - if you don't get  it fair enough  Stevo 

No I get it. I assume you don’t or you wouldn’t just be proving Lapal’s point over and over again. 

I’d try to explain it to you, but I’ve learned by now that trying to explain anything to you will result in you ignoring it completely. 

Lapal’s OP to you explains it pretty well.

Â