Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Whatever the feelings towards Gabby and my feelings have been jaundiced in regards to his talent.

The club will show its class.....Irrespective of  its inner feelings.

That's why we are Aston Villa.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, momo said:

People are so lame. He is a club legend. I will shed a tear when he leaves, because he was special.

At his best he did a decent job for us - no way could he be considered a club legend though .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, momo said:

People are so lame. He is a club legend. I will shed a tear when he leaves, because he was special.

He's really not - legends are Shaw, Withe, Cowans, Spinks, Andy Gray, Brian Little, Paul McGrath Ugo, Yorkie, and such like - Gabby er No 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

He's really not - legends are Shaw, Withe, Cowans, Spinks, Andy Gray, Brian Little, Paul McGrath Ugo, Yorkie, and such like - Gabby er No 

Gary Shaw - 165 club appearances (all of these according to Wikipedia, so unlikely to be wholly accurate)

Peter Withe - 182 

Gordon Cowans - 414

Nigel Spink - 361

Andy Gray - 167

Brian Little - 247

God - 253

Ugo Ehiogu - 237

Dwight Yorke - 232

Gabby Agbonlahor - 339

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Gary Shaw - 165 club appearances (all of these according to Wikipedia, so unlikely to be wholly accurate)

Peter Withe - 182 

Gordon Cowans - 414

Nigel Spink - 361

Andy Gray - 167

Brian Little - 247

God - 253

Ugo Ehiogu - 237

Dwight Yorke - 232

Gabby Agbonlahor - 339

Your not seriously going there are you? The guys name should not appear on the same list imo 

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

Your not seriously going there are you? The guys name should not appear on the same list imo 

I'm not going anywhere Dave.

I just think that with 339 appearances for the club I love he gets a level of respect.

He bore the brunt of my anger and despair during that relegation season and for the following months, I'm not saying he'll be remembered particularly fondly in the annals of Villa folklore but you cannot take that number of appearances away from him.

What are you going to fill your days with after he's retired in the summer? ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Peter Withe - 182 

Gordon Cowans - 414

Nigel Spink - 361

Andy Gray - 167

Brian Little - 247

God - 253

Ugo Ehiogu - 237

Dwight Yorke - 232

Gabby Agbonlahor - 339

Everyone on that list won at least one trophy! Well, not quite everyone...

Fond memories of Gabby at his peak though. One of the fastest players I've ever seen.

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I just think that with 339 appearances for the club I love he gets a level of respect.

He bore the brunt of my anger and despair during that relegation season and for the following months, I'm not saying he'll be remembered particularly fondly in the annals of Villa folklore but you cannot take that number of appearances away from him.

I'm not going to lie it's  going to be a struggle  -That Grealish fella needs to pull his socks up !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

In this regard I don't really see it as the club showing its class.

It would be pretty much unheard of for a club not to publicly do something to acknowledge a player that had come through its academy, made almost 400 appearances and scored almost 90 goals.

I'd be hugely disappointed in my club if they didn't go out of their way to acknowledge that player before he left.

We will have to disagree on this one Mark.....You clearly value his talent much higher than me.

just a few stats to ponder:

• The last 3 seasons he has scored 1 goal per season making 38 appearances in total.
  • The last 5 seasons he has scored 13 goals for us in total
  • In 13 seasons he has been a first team player he has scored in excess of 10 goals in 5 seasons only.
  • In his career for us he has averaged 1 goal every 4.5 games
  • In the last 5 seasons he has averaged 21 games per season.

The club has paid him handsomely elevating him above millionaire status.......anything they do for him, is showing class IMO.....because quite frankly they have done their bit already.

If you think he has done his bit, then that is your prerogative.

Edited by TRO

12 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think a lot depends on how you view this case to what outcome of view you have.

I get that 380 odd appearances on the surface attract respect.....and I get that he scored on occasions some great and important goals.....I also get that he has always made it clear that he has never been interested in playing for any other club and that alone is enough to endear him to any fan, only natural.

but when you factor in how much money he has been paid, for a dubious return and temper the loyalty with the notion, he may be on to a good thing here, due to the mismanagement of the club ( lets be honest an ambitious talent ,would have got out, to protect his reputation, that can be deemed a plus not a minus)

It could be argued that had Aston Villa been a prosperous ambitious go getting outfit over the last 13 years, he would not have been here so long.

I think its a real tricky one, depending how anyone wants to look at it.

Me.......I have very mixed feelings, but overall relieved he is nearly off the wage bill.

19 hours ago, momo said:

Well, it takes all sorts to form opinions.....fair play.

19 hours ago, Dave J said:

Oh right, so unless you're 30 or older, you can never say there's been any "legends"? 

So for the people like myself (at 31) who only really remembers Yorke out of that list, because while Ugo was good, he was never a legend (only applicable for dead people perhaps?) - then in my 31 years on planet Earth, I haven't seen any "legends"? 

Surely a legend is subjective to what you've seen.  I've seen very little of McGrath, I don't even remember any of the others playing, because I wasn't born.  So in my eyes, the legends are the ones who have bought me, my personal happiness during my support of the club.  

There may well be a list of club legends somewhere, but what you put is absolute bollocks, sorry. 

JPA, Carew, Barry, Southgate, Bozzie, Carew, Mellberg, Laursen, Deano, Vassell, Gabby, Young - these are MY legends.  Of course, I recognise the contributions other players of our history have brought, but I haven't seen the vast majority of their contributions, just video clips from our good matches and finals.  

If you want to be respected, you may well start respecting other peoples arbitrary lists, rather than discounting them on the basis of age. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Oh right, so unless you're 30 or older, you can never say there's been any "legends"? 

So for the people like myself (at 31) who only really remembers Yorke out of that list, because while Ugo was good, he was never a legend (only applicable for dead people perhaps?) - then in my 31 years on planet Earth, I haven't seen any "legends"? 

Surely a legend is subjective to what you've seen.  I've seen very little of McGrath, I don't even remember any of the others playing, because I wasn't born.  So in my eyes, the legends are the ones who have bought me, my personal happiness during my support of the club.  

There may well be a list of club legends somewhere, but what you put is absolute bollocks, sorry. 

JPA, Carew, Barry, Southgate, Bozzie, Carew, Mellberg, Laursen, Deano, Vassell, Gabby, Young - these are MY legends.  Of course, I recognise the contributions other players of our history have brought, but I haven't seen the vast majority of their contributions, just video clips from our good matches and finals.  

If you want to be respected, you may well start respecting other peoples arbitrary lists, rather than discounting them on the basis of age. 

you make a fair point.....and us old 'uns do have to factor that in..

.....but equally, it is hardly our fault that we just happen to see a ( in our opinion) higher grade of player in yesteryear....so we could be forgiven for raising the bar on our interpretation of legends.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

you make a fair point.....and us old 'uns do have to factor that in..

.....but equally, it is hardly our fault that we just happen to see a ( in our opinion) higher grade of player in yesteryear....so we could be forgiven for raising the bar on our interpretation of legends.

I said that, when I said it's subjective to what you've seen. 

It would be like me saying to a 10 year old "ha, you think XXX was good? Nah, he was shit, in a shit team. When I was a kid, JPA scored 22 goals in a season!"

It wouldn't make any sense to him to know that Pongo Waring was a great player for us.  Who the hell is Pongo Waring to a 10 year old? 

Â