Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

6 hours ago, John said:

I seem to recall that there was a rumour that Arsenal were looking at him and he said the right thing that he was happy to stay with us. If Arsenal were actually interested and if they had made a bid whether Gabby would have said the same are perhaps open to question.

Gabby has always known where his bread was buttered.

I blame the club more than I blame Gabby, because they created the backdrop for a Gabby Agbonlahor.

Their lack of ambition and drive played nicely in to the hands of a very limited player, with one tremendous attribute i.e pace....That blinded the rest of his abilities or lack of them.

Gabby was never going allow himself to be found out elsewhere and have his career curtailed by dropping down a division in to possibly his rightful place.

Gabby found himself the perfect place with a club that lacked ambition and drive to dovetail in to his own world of melancholy.

To suggest a player needs motivating to the degree he was supposed have been dubbed, when playing at his boyhood club, beggars belief.

No, Gabby would have turned down Barcelona or Real Madrid, because he would be only too aware, he was never going to get a career out of those clubs like he has managed out of ours.

Gabby, for me sums up where this club has lost itself over the last decade......sadly,they belonged with each other.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

1 goal every 4.5 games for a player who didnt always play down the middle. Its not brilliant but far from awful

what comes first the chicken or the egg?

He has played plenty, down the middle.

you can't play down the middle with that return, unless you have aspirations of mid table - to lower.;)

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

i had the opportunity to attend a dinner with mon shortly after he became ireland manager.

being a villa fan naturally i bombarded him with question about the club and players.

eventually gabby came up as he was my favorite player under mon.

he told me that the club had accepted bids on more than one occassion for gabby though he would give any details of who and how much but gabby had flat out refused to even consider leaving.

he also talked about how he felt his successors had utilised him poorly and failed to understand his personality as gabby needed a certain degree of personal management to motivate him. hard work but worth it is what he said.

maybe he was just blowing smoke but thought id share

So, In light of all that....They give him a substantial 5 year contract,( under Lambert), just before he leaves.

You couldn't write the script yourself.

( second line)Fetch me a hanky......Its his boyhood club for **** sake.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Gabby has always known where his bread was buttered.

I blame the club more than I blame Gabby, because they created the backdrop for a Gabby Agbonlahor.

Their lack of ambition and drive played nicely in to the hands of a very limited player, with one tremendous attribute i.e pace....That blinded the rest of his abilities or lack of them.

Gabby was never going allow himself to be found out elsewhere and have his career curtailed by dropping down a division in to possibly his rightful place.

Gabby found himself the perfect place with a club that lacked ambition and drive to dovetail in to his own world of melancholy.

To suggest a player needs motivating to the degree he was supposed have been dubbed, when playing at his boyhood club, beggars belief.

No, Gabby would have turned down Barcelona or Real Madrid, because he would be only too aware, he was never going to get a career out of those clubs like he has managed out of ours.

Gabby, for me sums up where this club has lost itself over the last decade......sadly,they belonged with each other.

I agree with pretty much everything you say apart from it being the club at fault in part.

the club is only to blame for such a ridiculously long term contract at a stupid remuneration level.

Everything else I'm afraid is down to him being not very good and as you say - he would never have allowed himself to get found out.

As always TRO - good post 

“I think it’s time,” Bruce said of Agbonlahor’s contract situation. “I had a conversation with him about six weeks ago. I think it’s time for Gabby to move on.

“I have to say that in the last month or so he’s trained like a beast. I think the time is probably right. The question for Gabby is: what’s he going to do next? He’s probably been institutionalised by the club, he’s been a wonderful servant.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/gabby-agbonlahor-leave-aston-villa-14475731

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Eastie said:

“I think it’s time,” Bruce said of Agbonlahor’s contract situation. “I had a conversation with him about six weeks ago. I think it’s time for Gabby to move on.

“I have to say that in the last month or so he’s trained like a beast. I think the time is probably right. The question for Gabby is: what’s he going to do next? He’s probably been institutionalised by the club, he’s been a wonderful servant.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/gabby-agbonlahor-leave-aston-villa-14475731

In the last month he's trained like a beast - errmm let me think about this - what's he being doing otherwise when fit?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

as for Gabby right or wrong. He was definitely a moments player and some of best Villa moments in last 15 years(granted not many) have come from him

Winner at Old Trafford

2-0 vs Chelsea which practically sacked Mourinho

multiple goals vs blues

winner at Norwich which prob kept us up in Lambert last season

other derby goals vs WBA, Wolves

winner at Anfield

late winner at West Ham which helped end a poor run in Houllier season

probably a few more I am missing

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

as for Gabby right or wrong. He was definitely a moments player and some of best Villa moments in last 15 years(granted not many) have come from him

Winner at Old Trafford

multiple goals vs blues

winner at Anfield

Hat trick v Man City was probably the best I saw him play .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

I can see him retiring. He seems to be getting every squad member to plug his Six Figures clothing brand, so no doubt he will focus there and he has a huge property portfolio to keep him going too. 

He has been well advised, and has used his money well. Set up for life. Done well for a fairly limited player.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Corporate.....meeter and greeter.

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Winner at Old Trafford

multiple goals vs blues

winner at Anfield

Yeah.....like a needle in a haystack :D

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

He has been well advised, and has used his money well. Set up for life. Done well for a fairly limited player.

Fairly limited  is an understatement  but credit where it's due he has made himself for life 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I haven't said many good things about Gabby over the last years and I think it's good that he will leave the club, he should have left even earlier. But I do hope that the club shows it's class and what Villa are all about and give him a proper and worthy good bye in the last home game. And I would like all the fans to give him a good round of applause (and if it doesn't feel good, just applaude for the fact that he's leaving).

He's a Villa lad, he has been at the club for 17 years, he is our leading Premier League scorer. He has given us some wonderful memories, not at least his goals against BFC. On the minus side, the last years have been schambolic, his attitude and antics the season we went down is near unforgiveable. And I always had the feeling that he should and could have done much more. I do feel a little bit sorry for him though, he doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer and I'm not sure if it was fair to excpect him to be a leader or club captain and put that pressure on him. I do have some sympathy for him, regardless of how much the club decided to pay him. 

When a player is leaving that has been with us for 17 years, I think we should look at the bigger picture than the last years and judge him for what he has done over the whole time here. I think we in this situation should send the signal to the kids at the club and others that we take care of our own, and don't hang them out to dry. He shall not get a new contract, he hasn't deserved his wage the last years, but he deserves to be applauded off the pitch and get a worthy good bye for what he has done during the 17 years at the club. It would be in the best interest of the club not be petty-minded but to show it's class.  

Good post.

23 hours ago, Zatman said:

1 goal every 4.5 games for a player who didnt always play down the middle. Its not brilliant but far from awful

That record is terrible no matter what excuses you use. He has 34 assists in those 300+ apps so even when you use the excuse about him playing out wide it still shows how useless he was. 

I don't get how a man who has stolen 60k a week for past 5 years can still have people defend him. Good riddance as far I'm concerned. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

That record is terrible no matter what excuses you use. He has 34 assists in those 300+ apps so even when you use the excuse about him playing out wide it still shows how useless he was. 

I don't get how a man who has stolen 60k a week for past 5 years can still have people defend him. Good riddance as far I'm concerned. 

You can say that again. 

Â