Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

25 minutes ago, Richard said:

As intellectually challenged as he may be he has put himself in that position and I believe the comments from the owner may have actually helped him in that quest

There is absolutely zero chance that Tony will pay him off. More chance of us winning the champions league in 5 years. 

If contractually possible block him from everything Aston Villa related, Bodymoor Heath, Villa Park, official functions, PR, move VT-thread to off topic...

Make it even clearer he is "Persona non grata" and that there is no way back.

Might as well accept we'll be paying him for the reminder of his contract a la Winston Bogarde, but keep him away from the club.

Out of sight, out of mind.

• Like 1

I think thats impractical for a number of reasons ,  as much as he may even welcome it himself!  I'm not even sure how restraint of trade laws would handle that if they even apply in this case.  It's a mess really we dont want him,  he doesnt appear to want to play football,  he has a long and lucrative contract and there is nothing for him to do.  The longer he stays the poisonous it becomes and the only route out is costly to us as a club.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sne said:

If contractually possible block him from everything Aston Villa related, Bodymoor Heath, Villa Park, official functions, PR, move VT-thread to off topic...

Make it even clearer he is "Persona non grata" and that there is no way back.

Might as well accept we'll be paying him for the reminder of his contract a la Winston Bogarde, but keep him away from the club.

Out of sight, out of mind.

You are effectively talking about bringing about a claim for constructive dismissal, a tribunal and a hefty settlement.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You are effectively talking about bringing about a claim for constructive dismissal, a tribunal and a hefty settlement.

Take the short route and pay him off, then it's all over and clean, no more talking about Gabby anymore, like RDM will no doubt have to do in his next press conference, no more of him floating around the club. 

Such a sad ending for a boy that came through the ranks, a 1-club man so to speak, to have all this hatred and poison surround him. I think there's a chance the dude might even retire if he was released .

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Just now, GENTLEMAN said:

Take the short route and pay him off, then it's all over and clean, no more talking about Gabby anymore, like RDM will no doubt have to do in his next press conference, no more of him floating around the club. 

Such a sad ending for a boy that came through the ranks, a 1-club man so to speak, to have all this hatred and poison surround him. I think there's a chance the dude might even retire.

I can't see us paying him off but who knows.

I agree though, I'm just really saddened by it. 

• Like 2

whether he goes or not he will still be in our history books for a long time as our top scorer before someone else takes his place. thats even more annoying. the closest possible canditate for knocking him off top spot is ayew and he has a long way to go

1 hour ago, jon_c said:

Whatever your opinion on Gabby, I think the whole situation (even more so N'Zogbia) really highlights that something needs to be done about footballers contracts. The fact that a player could sign a five year contract and then essentially have a terrible attitude, let their fitness go, be generally disruptive etc.., but still collect their full pay for the whole five years just isn't healthy for the game.

They really need to be regulations on minimum standards in contracts. Particularly to protect smaller clubs. (I realise this is never going to happen with player power the way it is)

Going on from my post in Tony Xia thread. In the normal workplace you would build a case for potential dismissal. Football is a different beast but in theory the same laws apply. I guess it needs one club to have the bollocks to go for it and dismiss a player for poor performance over a set period and then of course they'd need to win the inevitable tribunal.

We can probably get away with saying just how it is, and giving him a public lambaste...but setting about to make it impossible for him to ply his trade isn't going to go down well and that could definitely rise to disharmony within the rest of the team.

As long as what was said is fair enough, and we do everything we can to allow him to leave on an amicable footing there isn't much to shout about.  The key is letting him leave, we can't outright treat him with total contempt and ruin what left he has of his career.

Of course if there was any justice, he'd get his just deserves...but going over and above to make life difficult for him will definitely not look good.

40 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Such a sad ending for a boy that came through the ranks, a 1-club man so to speak, to have all this hatred and poison surround him. I think there's a chance the dude might even retire if he was released .

Even if we pay him off now is he able to join another club before January? And a 3 or 4 month break in training etc will severely hamper his chances of finding employment so retirement may be the only route.  But if he then retires would the club have a claim on the money we had just paid him?  It is a bleeding mess right now.

55 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I can't see us paying him off but who knows.

I agree though, I'm just really saddened by it. 

I'm very saddened. He was adored by fans but I think Lerner made him feel like he was Mr Aston Villa, and thus when others tried to push him out Gabby believed the hype and acted up. It's so sad because he could have been so much more, even with his limitations.

I would of had him on our bench a couple of times already this season. Probably would still have him on the bench. 

Think he should of been given a chance like Richards, okore and Hutton got. 

Maybe im too soft? Or maybe I'm not a woman and like to hold a grudge? 

Â