Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

No Dave, it's indefensible. Appearance number 351 in which he was poor, but no poorer than most anyone in the side with the honourable exceptions of Delph and Baker is clearly the defining moment in his career. Forget the last ten years, yesterday is it and he should be taken out the back immediately and shot, along with most of the first team. I'm guessing you'd also like the manager sacked?

No of course not, but Gabby being moved on would be nice.

Apparently we have no right to expect consistancy from Gabby because he'd be playing for Chelsea or PSG otherwise.

Ah, you appear to have misunderstood again - Gabby is consistent, he's consistently Gabby, and I don't think we can expect Gabby to be anything but Gabby. If he was at his best every game then he'd most likely be somewhere else, if he was at his worst in every game then he'd most likely be somewhere else, but he is what he is and we are what we are. As long as he's better than other players in his position then he's in the side on merit, for me that's still the case. I understand that for you that's not true. 

It was a justification given for Gabby being a half-season player at best and I just don't agree that clubs outside the top bunch cannot expect consistant performers. The thing with Gabby is that unless he is in one of his little purple patches, then he is absolutely hopeless. He cannot do average/decent 6/10 games and therefore that is unacceptable - his little good 5-7 game runs do not compensate for that.

I'd disagree, I think he does series of 6/10 games with the occasional 3/10 and then little runs of two or three 8/10's.

We're dressing this up anyways; I think it's fair to say I think he's better than you do and you think he's worse than I do. I can live with that.

Apparently we have no right to expect consistancy from Gabby because he'd be playing for Chelsea or PSG otherwise.

Ah, you appear to have misunderstood again - Gabby is consistent, he's consistently Gabby, and I don't think we can expect Gabby to be anything but Gabby. If he was at his best every game then he'd most likely be somewhere else, if he was at his worst in every game then he'd most likely be somewhere else, but he is what he is and we are what we are. As long as he's better than other players in his position then he's in the side on merit, for me that's still the case. I understand that for you that's not true.

OBE; with the greatest of respect to you, you really are stretching it now. Gabby is consistently Gabby?? Yes of course we have the right to expect a professional footballer to deliver a high level of performance over a significant period. Yes of course players have dips in form, I totally get this, but in my view Gabby is poor over lengthy periods of time.

Edited by Dave J

OBE; with the greatest of respect to you, you really are stretching it now. Gabby is consistently Gabby?? Yes of course we have the right to expect a professional footballer to deliver a high level of performance over a significant period. Yes of course players have dips in form, I totally get this, but in my view Gabby is poor over lengthy periods of time.

And in my view he averages out as good over lengthy periods of time.

Opinions are like that. The expectation that was being suggested was that he should consistently be the way he is when he's at his very best, I don't think we can expect that level consistently, he's not consistent, but I don't think we need to demand that in order for him to be effective for us, you have to either accept him as he is or not; he is the player he is - I think he's good enough on that basis, you don't. I can accept that, he can be maddening and he can frustrate, but over a long period of time, he's produced for us in my opinion. I don't think that's stretching anything.

Whichever, I'll be surprised if he's not a regular starter next season when fit, which means we can continue to disagree for at least another year (and from my side hopefully another three or four.)

• Like 1

He needs to become an impact player off the bench. Our Ameobi. Cos we look way worse with him in the side. Just isn't good enough on the ball, doesn't work hard enough off the ball. Too static.

• Like 1

When Sherwood came in Gabby did exactly what he had to do to remain part of a successful team, constantly make runs, with or without the potential to receive a pass, pressure defenders, run into space/release the ball quickly and shoot/cross early. 

When he was doing this he was creating space, and getting chances, the MON Gabby was back and the team benefited.

If he consistently played to his strengths I wouldn't criticise him but he often looks lost between attack and defence and in recent weeks the real Gabby stood up. I know he's coming back from niggles but I do wonder whether he can really sustain his place in the squad, we shouldn't place loyalty over other players development even if Gabby has done everything right by his club interaction, even taking a decent pay cut.

I'm looking forward to see how Sherwood gets on with Gabby, I'm satisfied that as a manager he has to balls to drop a fan favourite, Guzan might agree, but after that I hope he has a proper plan B, C and D because I don't feel Gabby is the player to push our club forward.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

The last two games the entire team, Gabby included of course, has been half assing around to avoid getting injured before the final. We'll see a different performance from all of them next week I believe (hope). I noticed Arsenal do it as well in their 2nd last game, players were all ducking out of challenges etc. It's natural.

I think TS knows how to set the team up to get the most out of Gabby and I do think we'll see more of the MON Gabby next season.

I also think he should definitely play in the final, Arsenal will be worried about Benteke and will be on him like a shot so I fancy Gabby to have some space to run into in behind him which could give us our chance. Think the little triangles formed by Benteke Grealish and Delph dragging their defenders around a bit then Gabby just darting away at the end, could work for us...

Anybody watch Cameron gerome today type of performance we need, then I realised we had gabby and zog.

Just watch Jerome next season. He can't perform in the top flight. 

He kept coming short into tight areas yesterday when Delph/Grealish had the ball but had no idea what he was doing. He isn't good enough as a forward or a wide player, ball control/passing is below what we need now to play the way Sherwood wants us to play. 

Don't expect him to play in the final but he usually does okay v Arsenal, likely to come off the bench. Time to move on in the summer though, Sherwood will be looking for proper footballers I think.

The last two games the entire team, Gabby included of course, has been half assing around to avoid getting injured before the final. We'll see a different performance from all of them next week I believe (hope). I noticed Arsenal do it as well in their 2nd last game, players were all ducking out of challenges etc. It's natural.

I think TS knows how to set the team up to get the most out of Gabby and I do think we'll see more of the MON Gabby next season.

I also think he should definitely play in the final, Arsenal will be worried about Benteke and will be on him like a shot so I fancy Gabby to have some space to run into in behind him which could give us our chance. Think the little triangles formed by Benteke Grealish and Delph dragging their defenders around a bit then Gabby just darting away at the end, could work for us...

I am not a big fan of N'Zogbia, but the team were playing some great stuff when he was up there with the three you mention.

No Dave, it's indefensible. Appearance number 351 in which he was poor, but no poorer than most anyone in the side with the honourable exceptions of Delph and Baker is clearly the defining moment in his career. Forget the last ten years, yesterday is it and he should be taken out the back immediately and shot, along with most of the first team. I'm guessing you'd also like the manager sacked?

I thought we was talking about Gabby?

The rest can have their own epitaph....individually

Some of the others have not been revered has much that is the attraction to the absurdity.

Darius vassell mark 2

Edited by TRO

Â