Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Gabby agbonlahor has featured in a team that has consistently flirted with relegation and has consistently been crying out for goals.

Along with many others he needs a new appraisal that mirrors our performances.

• Like 1

OBE; yes I am one of those who very clearly do not believe he is good enough to play for Aston Villa or in the premier league for that matter

So why has he had some pretty good scoring seasons at this level? How many other players "not good enough for the Premier League" have

had 3 straight seasons of reaching double figures in league goals? He's been stuck on the wing an awful lot too

Well if you feel that just by reaching double figures is ok? Please feel free to carry on!
Why wouldn't it be ok? Only around 20 players do it each season, don't they? I'd imagine over half of them are from the top 6 sides.
Surely you have answered this yourself? His inability to regularly notch above 9-10 goals a season is one of the reasons that we are no longer a top six outfit. He is a striker and supposedly a good one after all???

How have I answered it myself? We have a striker who regularly gets in to double figures, Benteke - it's the top 4 sides that have multiple players who do that every year. He got 9 the other year and we were nearly relegated, I hardly think 1 more goal from him would turn is into a top 6 side, there's plenty more problems than Agbonlahor.

Agbonhlahor is part of the bigger problem, the players who aren't good enough yet are eating away our wage budget.

Gabby, N'Zogbia, Bent, Given - get rid of them and we're looking at 200k minimum per week saved but it's a lot easier said than done because nobody really wants them.

Back to Gabby though - in the last 5 seasons, he's scored 33 goals in 164 games. That's awful, it really is.

• Like 4

Agbonhlahor is part of the bigger problem, the players who aren't good enough yet are eating away our wage budget.

Gabby, N'Zogbia, Bent, Given - get rid of them and we're looking at 200k minimum per week saved but it's a lot easier said than done because nobody really wants them.

Back to Gabby though - in the last 5 seasons, he's scored 33 goals in 164 games. That's awful, it really is.

Gabby is on the same wedge as nzog 65k a week

No he isn't, and Zog doesn't even earn that.

He took a vastly reduced salary in return for a four year deal.

Still a waste like...

Still a waste like...

Source?

It's not that bad, to be honest.  1 in 5 as a wide forward/striker is pretty average stuff, certainly not "awful".  It's the type of figures I should imagine Shane Long, Jason Puncheon, Oscar and other "supporting forwards" probably rack up.

And that's exactly what Gabby gives us - support.  He has pace and a reasonable amount of strength.  He works the opposition defence and creates space for others (Benteke).

Whether he is worth the current wage packet he's on (rumoured £60k-ish?!) is a different debate.  To label a 1 in 5 goal record whilst not playing as a main striker "awful" is just plain wrong.

Still a waste like...

My brother knows nzog and he said himself hes on 65k the same as gabby

Still a waste like...

My brother knows nzog and he said himself hes on 65k the same as gabby

N'Zogbia maybe, although I always thought he was on around £50k.

Gabby is on nowhere near that nowadays, we don't hand out them contracts anymore and he, aswell as us, sure as hell knows he isn't going to get that anywhere else.

This might be unpopular but I'd start him on Saturday - he doesn't show up nearly as often as he should but most of the times he does are in big games and you don't get much bigger than an FA Cup final.

If he starts then I think we will lose.  We have a system that is working and we need to play N'Zogbia and Grealish to make it work. Gabby can come on and score the winner!

• Like 1

Â