Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Be his 300th Premier League game tomorrow (274 starts). Quite an achievement. He has a record of a goal in just over every 4 games. He has played over half his games out wide so I'd imagine when played up top his record is more like a goal in every three games and out wide a goal in every five.

I've never hidden the fact that I am a big fan of Gabby. I have though found him frustrating as I think in terms of his own performances he has under achieved. He hasn't been helped by the fact though that in six of the nine seasons he has been a regular we have had either sides that have struggled badly or been mediocre at best.

I do always think with him in the side we look more dangerous. I don't think defenders like playing against him and just by his presence others get more space. I would love to have seen him played through the middle more alongside a big man as for a time him and Carew made a great pairing and that partnership could have been replicated alongside Benteke but Lambert always wanted to play him out wide when Benteke played. Hopefully under Sherwood we will see much more of them both up top together and a repeat of what we saw against West Brom.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Agree with most of that Mark. As I mentioned before if he'd demanded to take penalties aswell he probably wouldn't be that far off 100 premier league goals now.

The way Sherwood is talking he says Gabby as a central striker again so yes I expect that to be his role for the rest of the season at least.

345 games puts him level with Harry Parkes in 21st for appearances. Goal number 84 puts him level with Charlie Athersmith in 21st on the goalscoring list too. 

2 goals today makes me very happy - lovely finish for the first, adjusted his feet and played a lovely side foot pitching wedge over the keeper - both goals were great quality. Keep this purple patch up please.

Should never play on the wing ever again.

I agree, but oddly he scored his first goal today coming in off the left wing and his second coming in off the right wing.

On the left side, but again, he was still playing on the shoulder where I think he is still best.

Then he scored his second when he was running inside and into traffic, where I think he is at his worst. On his weaker foot too.

Who knows, Sherwood has got him playing!!

Really, really pleased for Gabby today'

I'm not one of his biggest fans....but I do appreciate his strong points.

seems like GA & TS have come us with a formula.

long may it continue.

• Like 1

No intention of changing my opinion on him, still a shockingly average professional footballer in my humble view. Having been raised on the likes of Little, Gray, Deehan, Shaw, Saunders, Yorke, he pales into insignificance to be honest. Despite this still he is still in the one swallow doesn't make a summer category, and does not make up for the dross that has gone before. This said however  I am a villan and i am delighted by the fact he has scored  along with Benteke and the new wave of optimism sweeping over us now. 

Another that I had slammed. Great to see him performing like he can, however I cant help but feel that he just wasnt putting the effort in in Lamberts last months.

Wrong position for months

/years in my opinion. Sherwood got it wrong at Stoke when he played him deeper as well. His best position has always been on the last defender.

74 premier league goals now.

He'll be at this club well into his 30s even if a lot of people don't want that so I wonder how realistic it is he'll score 100 premier league goals?

Now whatever you think of him, that would be a brilliant achievement....again considering he's never taken a penalty and has been out wide a lot in the last few years. Not that many strikers do it and the ones that do tend to be the elite.

Would mean him maybe scoring another 3-4 goals this season and then him averaging 7 for the next 3 seasons so it's feasible when you write it like that.

74 premier league goals now.

He'll be at this club well into his 30s even if a lot of people don't want that so I wonder how realistic it is he'll score 100 premier league goals?

Now whatever you think of him, that would be a brilliant achievement....again considering he's never taken a penalty and has been out wide a lot in the last few years. Not that many strikers do it and the ones that do tend to be the elite.

Would mean him maybe scoring another 3-4 goals this season and then him averaging 7 for the next 3 seasons so it's feasible when you write it like that.

If Heskey can do it..

Â