Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

74 premier league goals now.

He'll be at this club well into his 30s even if a lot of people don't want that so I wonder how realistic it is he'll score 100 premier league goals?

Now whatever you think of him, that would be a brilliant achievement....again considering he's never taken a penalty and has been out wide a lot in the last few years. Not that many strikers do it and the ones that do tend to be the elite.

Would mean him maybe scoring another 3-4 goals this season and then him averaging 7 for the next 3 seasons so it's feasible when you write it like that.

That would leave him on 99

• Like 1

No intention of changing my opinion on him, still a shockingly average professional footballer in my humble view. Having been raised on the likes of Little, Gray, Deehan, Shaw, Saunders, Yorke, he pales into insignificance to be honest. Despite this still he is still in the one swallow doesn't make a summer category, and does not make up for the dross that has gone before. This said however  I am a villan and i am delighted by the fact he has scored  along with Benteke and the new wave of optimism sweeping over us now. 

He's scored more goals for Villa than all but one of the players on that list. Big swallow.

That's not me saying he's a better footballer than any of them, but I think it's a bit churlish to suggest that the last few weeks are the one swallow of the last ten years of Gabby's Villa career.

• Like 2

He'll be at this club well into his 30s even if a lot of people don't want that so I wonder how realistic it is he'll score 100 premier league goals?

Now whatever you think of him, that would be a brilliant achievement....again considering he's never taken a penalty and has been out wide a lot in the last few years. Not that many strikers do it and the ones that do tend to be the elite.

Would mean him maybe scoring another 3-4 goals this season and then him averaging 7 for the next 3 seasons so it's feasible when you write it like that.

so your happy with 7 per season then??

If Heskey can do it..

Heskey's done it, really? It seemed like he only scored about 5 goals between 2004 and 2012 for us, SHA and Wigan so I am surprised by that.

I know Bent's done it although a decent number of them have been penalties and then you're talking elite like Shearer, Ferdinand, Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Fowler etc.

No intention of changing my opinion on him, still a shockingly average professional footballer in my humble view. Having been raised on the likes of Little, Gray, Deehan, Shaw, Saunders, Yorke, he pales into insignificance to be honest. Despite this still he is still in the one swallow doesn't make a summer category, and does not make up for the dross that has gone before. This said however  I am a villan and i am delighted by the fact he has scored  along with Benteke and the new wave of optimism sweeping over us now. 

He's scored more goals for Villa than all but one of the players on that list. Big swallow.

That's not me saying he's a better footballer than any of them, but I think it's a bit churlish to suggest that the last few weeks are the one swallow of the last ten years of Gabby's Villa career.

The last few weeks? wouldn't that be 3 reasonable games? please

The last few weeks? wouldn't that be 3 reasonable games? please

Yes, the last three games. The only successful period of Gabby's career apparently. If he can keep this up he might make it.

• Like 4

heskey left the prem with 110 goals in 516 games so 1 in 4.69

gabby currently has 70 in 284 games so 1 in 4.06

considering gabby has spent a lot of time out wide, never really been the no 1 striker at any time during his career, had a lot of trouble with injuries and been very poorly coached in terms of his body mass i dont think thats too bad, he's another 80 goals off reaching our top 10 scorers but seeing as he'll comfortably end up our highest prem era scorer says a bit more for where we are now rather than him (i know we obviously play less league games per season) could end up about 5th on our record appearance list too

but yeah he's shit...

so your happy with 7 per season then??

The fact he has played out wide for a number of seasons skews the average a wee bit. When playing up front he has been a decent striker. He's not going to go on the all time greats list but he's better than you make out. 

No intention of changing my opinion on him, still a shockingly average professional footballer in my humble view. Having been raised on the likes of Little, Gray, Deehan, Shaw, Saunders, Yorke, he pales into insignificance to be honest. Despite this still he is still in the one swallow doesn't make a summer category, and does not make up for the dross that has gone before. This said however I am a villan and i am delighted by the fact he has scored along with Benteke and the new wave of optimism sweeping over us now.

If you've no intention of every changing your opinion then you're wasting your breath posting. We got you the first time.

Praising Gabby for his Brace, is not negating, all the poor performances in the past from him....its giving him credit when credit is due, like today.

We can only appraise the player moving forward under our new manager and see what change can be acheived.

Many players will get better and some will be advantaged by other players playing better and benefit from the spin off.

It can't be heads you lose tails you lose.

• Like 1

"One swallow doesn't make a summer"

Dave has said that three times recently.

How many swallow do make a summer?

Your average roosting flock can contain upwards of a few thousand, but obviously that number can change as they tend to fragment into smaller groups to feed.

• Like 1

Its not even correct. The correct phrase is "One swallow does not a summer make"  - Aristotle 

Edited by Xela

Your average roosting flock can contain upwards of a few thousand, but obviously that number can change as they tend to fragment into smaller groups to feed.

Shit. So it'll take a few more good games until we get a summer.

Maybe Dave's right

Stuck in purgatory forever with Nick Barmby.

Â