Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

He improved in the second half yesterday but it wasn't a good performance - worked hard enough, but his awareness was very poor. The manager was screaming at us to play balls into the channel all through the first half, but everything was either in the air or to feet which suited Stoke down to the ground, that's not Gabby's fault, but he needs to make the runs that encourage those passes. It was interesting to see him and Weimann swapping positions for periods of the game and that seems to work.

We could do with Gabby finding some sort of form, I think it's too early for Grealish to be starting games and I wouldn't want to see us desperate enough to resort to the fat lazy mess on the bench.

I think he'll find himself under pressure once Benteke comes back; I think that might do him some good.

Yeah on song just having him on the pitch is enough to stop the opposition squeezing up with a high line. He was poor though for me yesterday, not just because of the miss, but improved as the gaem went on. I remember him cutting in from the right and being intelligent enough to keep the possession for us. Plus he helped us run down the clock at the end too. He needs to find soem form though and not disappear like he did in the first half, he has to be making those runs for people to play the ball through the channels and in behind. He wasn't showing that enough yesterday and looked better wide.

I love him to bits but he's got to play better than he did for most of the game yesterday to justify his place.

I completely agree, I love the lad to bits but he has got to do better. In his defence, we don't create the chances for someone like him to be playing up front, he's not the type of player to create them himself, he just gets on to the end of through balls and is generally a good finisher. Also, he seems to have dropped really deep over the last couple of seasons, rather than hanging on the defenders shoulder like he used to, I think he doesn't trust the rest of the team to do the work in the middle of the park and he hangs back to help out. Either way he needs to sort it out, Lambert loves him as do most Villa fans, but that can only be stretched so far before he's out of the first eleven. Edited by 7392craig

I don't think the miss was that bad, the defender was right at his feet blocking the line to goal. Yes, he should have got it on target, even though it would have been blocked, and a true quality player might have controlled it, let the defender sell himself then tap it in. But remember some of Benteke's misses last season, it's easy to say someone else would have scored it but that ain't always the case.

To me, the issue was his decision-making. If you watch it again, as soon as he sees Richardson get free, he moves forward which a) narrows his angle for a shot on goal, and b ) brings him closer to the defender who rather than rushing Richardson, actually does the best thing possible and holds his position between the two of them knowing Richardson can't shoot from that position as long as he's there, and if he passes to Gabby he can close him down.

If Gabby had held back and just stayed where he was, assuming Richardson could find him with a decent pass (and I'm sure he could have), he could have opened his body up and put it in the open net with his left. Instead, he rushed forward a yard or two, got closer to the defender and made it more difficult for himself. 

He's not been worth the wages he's on for a long time now, for me. He has a couple of great games per season but he doesn't score or create anywhere near enough goals for us. I think a lot of people have Claret and Blue spectacles on where Gabby is concerned and the fan's love for a local hero and true Villa fan in the team has gone a long way to making him a regular starter for us even now.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

I would much rather see Weimann given a shot as the forward with Grealish in Weimann's role.

They swapped around a fair bit at Stoke with Weimann up front and Gabby on the wing for parts of the second half in particular.

no coincidence that we scored when this happened

I would much rather see Weimann given a shot as the forward with Grealish in Weimann's role.

They swapped around a fair bit at Stoke with Weimann up front and Gabby on the wing for parts of the second half in particular.

no coincidence that we scored when this happened

I'm not sure if we scored while Andi was up front or on the right, but I think that Gabby was better during the second half when he was spending more time on the flanks.

I like Gabby for his love of AVFC. He does not seem to be playing as well as he used to.I did not see the stoke game only the mod highlights and they did not show enough of him to make an opnium. I thought at the Parma game he was one of the weakest players on the pitch, they may have been that it was a friendly and the responsibility of being captain.

If he is dropped who do we replace him with? On Saturday we needed his help in dropping back to assist in mid field. I am sure in the same situation Darren Bent would have scored, but would we have been in that situation without Gabby`s efforts in the midfield?

Edited by Bottle Maker

I like Gabby for his love of AVFC. He does not seem to be playing as well as he used to.I did not see the stoke game only the mod highlights and they did not show enough of him to make an opnium. I thought at the Parma game he was one of the weakest players on the pitch, they may have been that it was a friendly and the responsibility of being captain.

If he is dropped who do we replace him with? On Saturday we needed his help in dropping back to assist in mid field. I am sure in the same situation Darren Bent would have scored, but would we have been in that situation without Gabby`s efforts in the midfield?

Move Delph forward and let Sanchez sit in Delphs place.

We did not have Sanchez at Stoke. This would mean playing with one striker. Is Andi good enough to play up front on his own?

We did not have Sanchez at Stoke. This would mean playing with one striker. Is Andi good enough to play up front on his own?

Sorry. You just said 'If he is dropped who do we replace him with'. I replied in the long term rather than the match just gone.

Only one way to find out!

Give him a run of games up top I say. Gabby has been given 10 years to make that place his own, Weimann has barely been given 10 games.

• Like 1

Regardless of the chance missed and the lack of goals, Gabby due to his pace remains an important element in the team at this moment in time.

I think that is the problem Gabby is not the greatest but he is the best we have at the moment. With Gabby in the team they won against a team with a good home record for last season.

Regardless of the chance missed and the lack of goals, Gabby due to his pace remains an important element in the team at this moment in time.

I agree, and what was evident on saturday especially in the 2nd half was that Gabby used his strength to hold the ball up and where necessary buy a foul to allow us to play further up the pitch. His pace enables him to get in front of defenders . Most of his best play on saturday was playing out wide which allowed Delph and Zoggy to exploit the space he created.

He'll never be a prolific scorer but he is a useful option.

Â