Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I don't think he's lost "mush of his pace" has he?

He's always been all about pace, then he got some more power. He's *starting* to age a bit now, but he's not exactly Pires is he? OTT criticism of him is du jour as was all the chuckle brothers bullshit last year. Gabby is a modern Villa legend, scored some very big goals at some very crucial moments for us, is from Erdington and is one of us. That shouldn't mean he starts every week (Personally I think at the moment if he's not playing off a striker on the shoulder of the last defender he shoudl be on the bench as plan B to do just that). That also shouldn't mean he gets dogs abuse. Simples.

He has lost pace, that's what happens when you bulk up.

I know Gabby's limitations, everybody does.

But generally speaking I find some of the attitudes towards Gabby infuriating if I'm honest.

Here is a guy who is truly one of us, if he hadn't been lucky enough to make it he would have been sitting next to one us at a game on a Saturday if he could saved enough from working at Domino's. Yet he doesn't feel the need to shout about it, to play on it or try and cash in on it or curry favour with it  like oh I don't know.... our former captain.

But more than that this is a guy who has made more the 300 appearances for us, is our leading PL scorer and has a 1 in 4 ratio despite being misused by a progression of managers. A guy who in better times, with better players around him was an exciting player and who in terms of games against Small Heath should be considered a bit of hero.

Before people start typing furiously about his limitations, I know them as I said everybody does.

But at least Gabby gives a shit, he genuinely does and that isn't something you can say about everyone who pulls in a fat weekly wage. Watch the cup final back, if you can bear it, Gabby is the only guy in that second half who looked like he cared. Gabby was shouting at Benteke when he couldn't be arsed to mark on a corner any more. Sherwood ripped into the players after the game about their attitude and has spent the summer trying to replace just about every one of them while making Gabby club captain, which should at least make people pause for thought.

I'll say another  thing about Gabby. Aside from some potent swimmers and inability to wear a rain coat when do you ever hear Gabby's name in the press, picture in the papers or as the source of tittletattle or rumour.

He isn't the way getting pissed ala Collins, he isn't the one walking off the pitch laughing when you've just got hammered ala Dunne the prick. He isn't the one more interested in shopping ala N'Zogbia or cars like Carew or bitching and moaning when he isn't in the team. He doesn't 'pretend' to be injured either like some others....

No Gabby for all his limitations (see I'm using that word again so please don't feel the need to tell me what they are) has plenty of positives about him. 

Should he be in the starting line up? No, almost certainly not. Should he get stick from the fans? Absolutely bloody not.

Top post

• Like 1

He's always been all about pace, then he got some more power. He's *starting* to age a bit now, but he's not exactly Pires is he? OTT criticism of him is du jour as was all the chuckle brothers bullshit last year. Gabby is a modern Villa legend, scored some very big goals at some very crucial moments for us, is from Erdington and is one of us. That shouldn't mean he starts every week (Personally I think at the moment if he's not playing off a striker on the shoulder of the last defender he shoudl be on the bench as plan B to do just that). That also shouldn't mean he gets dogs abuse. Simples.

I agree, but don't tell David Oliver

tumblr_myvbwwO4KT1sjim5po5_400.jpg

There is pace and then there is acceleration.

Gabby at full flow is still too much for most Premier League defenders especially with the strength he has added with his "bulking up". There are plenty of sprinters who are absolutly huge upper body wise.

However football is actually much more about acceleration or speed over that first five yards. Traore is easily the quickest player I have ever seen in this area.

And it is acceleration that I think Gabby has lost a bit of which is why he is more easily managed by defenders this added to the fact that they know what he wants to do (after years of playing against him) and he doesnt have the game intelligence or skill to do anything which will surprise them, except for trying to bash his way through but seeing as most PL CB's are pretty huge themselves that is not the greatest concern.

With regards to his instagram thing, seems a bit odd but you never know maybe a bit of a misunderstanding. I dont think there is any possible way for him to leave as he will earn nowhere near the same money elsewhere.

I dont hate the guy and would be happy with him in the squad but if we want to improve he is the first player now we need to be replacing in the first eleven.

If Gabby has lost pace I don't think its noticeable. He still out paces the majority of defenders.

• Like 1

I agree, but don't tell David Oliver

tumblr_myvbwwO4KT1sjim5po5_400.jpg

You can't compare a sprinter/hurdler to a footballer. Two different body types trained for two different purposes. They are training to perform for 10/20 seconds, not 90 minutes.

• Like 1

If Gabby has lost pace I don't think its noticeable. He still out paces the majority of defenders.

But sadly it's a bit pointless as he always loses control of the ball.

It's like a runner doing an amazing 100 meters in the relay only to mess up the exchange and fumble the relay baton

I don't think he is crap. At the moment we don't have a Benteke, the opposing team would have a few players on him (Gestede is not comparable) which led to Gabby having less players on him and utilising his strengths of getting past players. Now Benteke has left, teams see Gabby's pace as our biggest weapon and are finding it easier to deal with it now there's no Benteke distraction. We are all noticing ourselves the attack is weak so far even with Gestede and Ayew joining. FWIW I think Gabby should be playing a part on Saturday, he has always caused Sunderland problems and it could boost his confidence.

What's actually happening here? Are people thinking that he could be off this window?

I don't think he is, I think he has taken a fair amount of crap on social media so deleted a lot of stuff. As for the dreams come true thing I personally think that's about playing blues. This is just my opinion of course

I don't think he is crap. At the moment we don't have a Benteke, the opposing team would have a few players on him (Gestede is not comparable) which led to Gabby having less players on him and utilising his strengths of getting past players. Now Benteke has left, teams see Gabby's pace as our biggest weapon and are finding it easier to deal with it now there's no Benteke distraction. We are all noticing ourselves the attack is weak so far even with Gestede and Ayew joining. FWIW I think Gabby should be playing a part on Saturday, he has always caused Sunderland problems and it could boost his confidence.

He was poor most of the time even when playing alongside Benteke.

Gabby has stayed in contention in recent years because with the exception of Benteke there has been no alternative. He has been the default because the club's record on bringing in strikers has been crap for years. From 2001 onwards we only had JPA, Dublin and Carew who had better ratio's and even then they with the odd season didn't set the world on fire. Benteke was exceptional for a Villa striker with a ratio of almost 1 per 2 games.

I fear Tim put all his eggs in one basket chasing Adebayor and like many Villa managers before him did not make finding a striker or even two, big enough priorities. I accept that he needed to sort out midfield and defence but a brief glance at our record for the last 10-15 years would show that our inability to score goals has been the biggest problem IMHO. We have rarely been blessed with choice up top.

As for the current alternatives to Gabby:

Kozak; will score the odd goal but he isn't going to break our low scoring habit

Ayew: a bit to early to say but he doesn't look like a game changer to me

Not *much* of his pace though ay?

He is frighteningly fast now still, regardless of how fast he might once have been. Pace is not Gabby's problem.

Neither is his scoring ratio seeing as he has spent a load of time pressing high on the wings, covering fullbacks and being played out wide. Where his workrate is normally exemplary. He is not the most technically gifted footballer in the world, he probably knows it too. 

I would have him on the bench now, and play him off Kozak or Gestede as a plan B. I would play him centrally around wither of those two with instructions to play on the shoulder of the last  man. Especially against teams pushing on to us with a high line. I think he'd score some more important goals for us in those circumstances.

Don't get the hate for him at all, without being born with better touch, I think he's honestly given his all for the cause and regarldess of ratio, if you take his goals out of our recent history we'd be a Championship side.

• Like 1

Not going to be pushed into a guilt trip of retracting or modifying what I've posted about him . He's crap. He may give a shit, I give a shit but i'd still be totally crap up front for Villa and I'd accept that criticism , especially if i was a professional and it was my job.

Have I criticised him personally? No. Do I not think he is a fan? No.

Ive criticised his performance for the club I support and he supports and to be honest if I was being picked for Villa and knowing I was shit I wouldnt want to let the club down, . If I knew that basically my performance was affecting the team I follow I'd be doing something about it. Gabby may be a nice bloke, may be a top fan. Not disputing any of that, just dont want him in the team and if we can get any cash for him id be well up for that

Top Post!

Not going to be pushed into a guilt trip of retracting or modifying what I've posted about him . He's crap. He may give a shit, I give a shit but i'd still be totally crap up front for Villa and I'd accept that criticism , especially if i was a professional and it was my job.

Have I criticised him personally? No. Do I not think he is a fan? No.

Ive criticised his performance for the club I support and he supports and to be honest if I was being picked for Villa and knowing I was shit I wouldnt want to let the club down, . If I knew that basically my performance was affecting the team I follow I'd be doing something about it. Gabby may be a nice bloke, may be a top fan. Not disputing any of that, just dont want him in the team and if we can get any cash for him id be well up for that

Top Post!

I think the instagram thing is a pretty natural reaction of a human being who has taken an awful lot of abuse over the last few weeks. In amongst everything else, I think Gabby's confidence matters in terms of his performances - the manager has some work to do to build that back up.

Â