Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I think we'll either see him out left with Gestede in the middle and Ayew on the right, or we'll see him and Gestede up front with Grealish in behind them. I think when he's fit, he'll start just about every game. 

Just don't see it, how many premier league games do you think we could win just playing two central midfielders.

We struggled for possession against Bournemouth and that was with the usual three in there, I think we need to continue playing three as Vertout will improve in time and Gana already looks quality.

Gabby had an above average game. He had a pass back which Gana should have scored from. He had a shot blocked which fell to the "savior" Gestede who should have scored, and he made a great run which ended with a tame shot. But of course... since he is Gabby, it is easy to just say no goals you suck. I wonder what games people see. What the hell has Delph done in comparison to Gabby? Actually, what has anybody in this Villa team done for Villa in comparison to Gabby?

This

I think we'll either see him out left with Gestede in the middle and Ayew on the right, or we'll see him and Gestede up front with Grealish in behind them. I think when he's fit, he'll start just about every game. 

Just don't see it, how many premier league games do you think we could win just playing two central midfielders.

We struggled for possession against Bournemouth and that was with the usual three in there, I think we need to continue playing three as Vertout will improve in time and Gana already looks quality.

He never said play less than 2 midfielders

Strong game from Gabby. Struggled up too by himself, but you could see from how Bournemouth played they kept numbers back and didn't push the defensive line to high so he didn't catch them out. This is where having a player like Graelish or Gil will thrive, give them the space that Gabby makes and build from their creativity. If defence pushes up to close down space then a couple of long balls for gabby to run into should scare them back into a deep line.

Became more of a threat himself when Gestede came on as the target man. Could be a good little partnership.

• Like 2

I thought he did ok on Saturday, like the rest of the team.

I think he is going to play a big part this season, and if he wasn't then he wouldn't have been made Club Captain. He might not start every game, but I reckon he will start at least half, probably closer to 75%. I expect us to play two up front in some games and I think him and Gestede might form a very decent partnership, like he had with Carew a few years ago.

Bad news for the Gabby haters, he's here to stay, for this season at least.

You really think so ???

Yes for the reason I mentioned earlier. Will he start against the Mancs now that Ruddy has got himself up and running? For me it's only a matter of time until he's benched. You see you can't keep delivering so little so often when you have genuine competition for your place.

When did we sign a goalkeeper and play him as a centre forward? If we do that we're fubar'd without a recognised centre forward!
  • Like 1

I read it as

Gestede

Ayew      Grealish     Gabby

Two Cms

Maybe at home to weak teams but for example I just don't think we could go away from home and play that, we struggle to get possession off Bournemouth and we played three in there.

The less we see of Gabby starting the better for me, the club is moving on with all these new signings and I hope he is used off the bench the odd 20-25 mins here and there but please don't give him a starting role all season it will be just painful to watch.

I read it as

Gestede

Ayew      Grealish     Gabby

Two Cms

Maybe at home to weak teams but for example I just don't think we could go away from home and play that, we struggle to get possession off Bournemouth and we played three in there.

I see Grealish in a number 10 role. It's almost a 4-5-1.

• Like 1

When gabby is fired up he is a huge asset, when he's not (all to often sadly) he is pretty anonymous.

Given that we now have genuine competition for places I'm not to worried about Gabby, if he's on it he'll play and be an asset, if he's not he'll be on the bench. It's win win really.

Edit: It will be the same with everyone else, the competition for places will hopefully motivate everyone to improve.

Edited by av1

Thing is, is with Gabby on it will automatically make high line defenses drop deep.

If the high line defenses drop deep, that makes more space between the opponents midfield/defence = more space for players like Sinclair, Grealish, Gil, Ayew & Vertout - & potentially Praetet (sp).

You give those players more space they will hurt you. 

So what do you do?  Do you drop deeper to negate Gabby? or do you keep a high line and negate the "false 10s"?

EITHER WAY, we're now well balanced to hurt any defence, and the scary thing is that I haven't even mentioned Rudy.

WOW, well what do you know, we're slowly becoming multi-dimensional for a **** change.  And what does everyone say? "Gabby out".  Get a clue ffs. :angry:

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

Yes the great thing about Carew was you either drop deep and Carew is in his element or you play the high line and Gabby is in his element. It's a great combo to have when both are really effective weapons.

Not just Gabby either, Sinclair is very very quick, Ayew no slouch and it looks like Traore is quicker than all of them.

Â