Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

My only concern is that the Lambert style seems very similar to MON to me. Very direct, counter attacking. Hard to break down.

joint highest amount of goals conceded for a side

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Capello is too old and would demand massive wages. This is a long term job for a young man. I think Capello would be more interested in putting an old squad together who could win him one domestic cup in England before retirement, with no long term strategy. Leaving us with an aged squad and a neglected youth system.

Why are people pulling the Pope's cap off furiously over lambert

He's had one season in the PL, totally unproven

Who would you like? Is it still Capello?

Would I take an unemployed Capello over almost £10m in compensation to get Rodgers, Erm let me think

We've got more chance of getting Van Gaal than Capello and Van Gaal is far superior.

Would I take an unemployed Capello over almost £10m in compensation to get Rodgers, Erm let me think

The thing is being "REAL" with who we could get.

If you don't ask you don't get

I concur with the other thread, expectations have been significantly lowered over the last 2 years

They had to be I suppose, whilst the words of the statement the other day were well thought out, they were very generic so we have little idea on the plan going forward

Good sarcasm there ... We were discussing Lambert though.... but I take your point financially, even though Rodgers wouldn't cost 10m.

Realistically, we are not getting Capello at VP mate. Who would you want realistically, or is it still Capello? They guy who has already taken millions of pounds from our national association and can't speak a word of English! Yeah good one!

If you don't ask you don't get

I concur with the other thread, expectations have been significantly lowered over the last 2 years

They had to be I suppose, whilst the words of the statement the other day were well thought out, they were very generic so we have little idea on the plan going forward

well, if we did ask we wouldn't get. the board have used the words "young", "enthusiastic" and "vibrant" to describe who they are after. let's leave aside the fact that capello wants to win a championship or the champs league so would not even look twice at us at the moment. now, as capello is "old", "disciplinarian" and "dull". i don't think he could be the man the club have described.

lambert is young, martinez is young, rodgers is young. they are all enthusiastic but i'd say rodgers and martinez are more on the vibrant end of the football spectrum.

will it be any of them though? who the **** knows. last time the club made an appointment it wasn't exactly what we were expecting was it?

Eh.. It has put a dampener on it but he hasn't been approached yet. I will admire his resolve if we offer him the same contract we offered McLeish and he says no.

Lambert at our club dinner last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujIop5ekD-4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

'theres a good chance of you interviewing me next season'

Not going anywhere soon I reckon. :notworthy:

Are you serious?

"I don't know what will happen tomorrow let a lone a couple weeks"

"What ever happens I've loved my time here"

"I never know whats going to happen in the future"

Loved his banter. Guy on stage "3rd year we have given the award to Grant Holt what can you say about him?" PL "CRAP!" amazing!

Evening Gents - Norwich fan here kindly allowed to post in the main forum.

Had some good banter with some of your guys in the Nelson on Sunday (opposite the Compleat Angler where most of your fans were). It was interesting to me that none of them seemed really fussed when Lamberts name was brought up by us as the replacement for McLeish following his inevitable sacking - not enough experience was the main reason stated. Seems they were the exception from this thread

I'm not surprised he's favourite (unless McCarthy has overtaken him now - strange one that) and as our CE said publicly yesterday we want our players & manager to be coveted as that means they're doing a good job for us. However what I do know is that we'll fight tooth & nail to keep him and our board are already pulling out all the stops.

The Chairman publically announced at the player of the year dinner last night that an additional £10mill on top of the playing budget he received last year, which would probably give him £30million to spend. The CE was again bullish in his speech and in Lamberts speech he made reference to his intentions for next season. He also played on the fact that speculation was that he was leaving a couple of times, joking about last interviews with the compere (who does the local radio commentary & talks to him twice a week)

Our board are confident that he'll stay, who knows what will happen if & when you come calling. He'll alsop want the opinion of Culverhouse & Karsa as they come as a 3. Others have mentioned the O'Neill factor - he'll certainly ask him his opinion as he talks to him regularly.

If he does come to you, you're getting a top manager. If not its our gain but probably only a matter of time before we get the same speculation of him going to another club. You're the 3rd team in claret & blue to be strongly linked - only Scunthorpe left now!!

Either way, I wish you well

KA

He also says 'When my time does come to leave, whether it's this season or next, I'll always take the support the of fans with me'.

Can take from it what you want really. Let's just see what happens.

Eh.. It has put a dampener on it but he hasn't been approached yet. I will admire his resolve if we offer him the same contract we offered McLeish and he says no.

Who ? Lambert ?

Whilst the package for Mcleish was good - its only what I feel liverpool, Everton, QPR etc pay there managers ......

If we go for him big time showing him passion & ambition then I reckon he would quit Norwich no question.

If he was not interested then he would commit his future to Norwich for next season at least,that he has not done.

seems pretty settled and committed to me. although he does say that you never know what might happen...

Evening Gents - Norwich fan here kindly allowed to post in the main forum.

Had some good banter with some of your guys in the Nelson on Sunday (opposite the Compleat Angler where most of your fans were). It was interesting to me that none of them seemed really fussed when Lamberts name was brought up by us as the replacement for McLeish following his inevitable sacking - not enough experience was the main reason stated. Seems they were the exception from this thread

I'm not surprised he's favourite (unless McCarthy has overtaken him now - strange one that) and as our CE said publicly yesterday we want our players & manager to be coveted as that means they're doing a good job for us. However what I do know is that we'll fight tooth & nail to keep him and our board are already pulling out all the stops.

The Chairman publically announced at the player of the year dinner last night that an additional £10mill on top of the playing budget he received last year, which would probably give him £30million to spend. The CE was again bullish in his speech and in Lamberts speech he made reference to his intentions for next season. He also played on the fact that speculation was that he was leaving a couple of times, joking about last interviews with the compere (who does the local radio commentary & talks to him twice a week)

Our board are confident that he'll stay, who knows what will happen if & when you come calling. He'll alsop want the opinion of Culverhouse & Karsa as they come as a 3. Others have mentioned the O'Neill factor - he'll certainly ask him his opinion as he talks to him regularly.

If he does come to you, you're getting a top manager. If not its our gain but probably only a matter of time before we get the same speculation of him going to another club. You're the 3rd team in claret & blue to be strongly linked - only Scunthorpe left now!!

Either way, I wish you well

KA

Lovely post mate.. Many thanks for that. If Lambert does leave, you can always have McLeish ;-)

Lets be honest here, if we want Lambert we'll get him. He's done great with Norwich but after keeping them up he has done all he can do, they will never move on to European football as they lack the funds required. So he will see Villa for what it is a great opportunity to advance his career. We are a perennial Premiership team and have a large fan base, excellent training ground etc.. plus he comes in to a club with zero expectations bar not being in a relegation battle and having a bit of decent home form.

He's the right man for the job and it'll likely happen. He'd have huge support from everyone at Villa the moment he walked through the doors.