• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lambert at our club dinner last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujIop5ekD-4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

'theres a good chance of you interviewing me next season'

Not going anywhere soon I reckon. :notworthy:

Sorry to break it to you but if he wanted to be categoric he could ave been quite easily. Most of that sounds like a farewell message.

I don't think he'll touch us with a bargepole.

If there was guarenteed, decent money long term, he'd be here pretty fast as it's an obvious move up the ladder. But I don't think we can offer him that (we've a laughable net spend in recent years). Couple that to the horrendous state of the squad, I think we'd approach him, Norwich would eventually give us permission to speak to him under pressure from both sides, and he'll hear us out, hear 'No money, cut the wages, sort out the squad' and say 'Er, no thanks chaps, I'll wait for the next one if it's alright with you'.

I dearly love him to come, and under better circumstances I think he would, but on the basis of the last couple of years, he'd have to mad imo.

I honestly dont think he could say no if he had one good luck around Bodymoor heath, no offence to the norwich fan but I cant see them spending £30million. CEs tend to talk a lot about money this time of year, we can tell you that as well as any fans but I do reckon he could have 25 mil at Villa.

The Chairman publically announced at the player of the year dinner last night that an additional £10mill on top of the playing budget he received last year, which would probably give him £30million to spend.

that's very solid backing, another factor here is that he's been part of a long term project for a while, and after being so successfull why wouldn't he want to try and go one step further? £30m spent wisely might even get you lot in europe next year. that would be amazing for ncfc, and for lambert's career it would mean he'd be on the map for big clubs all over europe.

the choice he has is between trying to take ncfc as far as possible or getting backed at villa park and taking on a good group of youngsters and trying to get into europe with us.

if i'm honest i'd think it would be strange for him to jump ship after another successfull year with the chance to really cement ncfc in the prem and make a real name for himself. coudl backfire badly coming to villa.

then again, who knows what he could do here with the right backing and the quality we have coming through from the academy. different challenge from coming up from league 1, but instead of the goal being playign prem football it'd be playing european football...

I honestly dont think he could say no if he had one good luck around Bodymoor heath, no offence to the norwich fan but I cant see them spending £30million. CEs tend to talk a lot about money this time of year, we can tell you that as well as any fans but I do reckon he could have 25 mil at Villa.

Yeah if Norwich do guarantee him that kind of money to spend then it could be s tough decision for him. However there's a difference between giving a manager that money to spend and him actually being able to attract players to Norwich. No offence but I don't think it's a club that can spend £30 million on top players. You could easily buy a whole new squad with that.

I seem to remember a certain team down the road from us promising a certain manager £40 million to spend, never did happen!

Anyone who thinks Norwich will spend 30mil in the summer is bonkers mad. No Chance.

Look his stock will never be higher than it is now with Norwich. The 2nd year in the Prem is always the hardest, so many head back down after avoiding relegation for a season or two. moving to Villa, regardless of the budget is a step up and a new challenge to increase his reputation. If he does a good job with us he could move on to Liverpool or someone else next.

No matter how well he does at Norwich to get to the top clubs he has to not only prove himself not a one club success story, but manage a middle club like Villa or Everton.

Agree. Norwich are a fine club and have every right to be and to stay in the PL. But realistically they haven't spent more than 3 or 4 million on anyone so far, and the kind of players they're likely to be able to attract would not cost much more than that, even if they do turn out to be better players than the more expensive options. No way will they spend 30 million. Including wages maybe, at a push.

I think his cv would look much better if he completes that 2nd PL season with Norwich and keeps them mid table
And would put him out of our reach, it's arguable that he close to bing out of our reach now but I believe it's now or never for us and lambert

I think his cv would look much better if he completes that 2nd PL season with Norwich and keeps them mid table
And would put him out of our reach, it's arguable that he close to bing out of our reach now but I believe it's now or never for us and lambert

Yep

People are making a lot of the mon angle here but I do not think it is a problem.

1. Mon actually has a lot of respect for us as a club and recognises our potential

2. He has actually made it up with Lerner as well

3. What better than to go to a place and do a better job than your mentor? Great motivation that. I mean one of the factors in mon actually managing us in the first place was Brian Clough. Cloughie wanted to manage us, he saw how huge we could have been and mon remembered this. Same for lambert IMO. I think he would love to come here and do a better job than mon

I think we have everything in place to do all we can to attract him here if he's willing to say yes. We have one of the best training facilities in Europe and one of the most promising academies in English football, you couple that with a chairman that could easily match the £30 million budget he's "apparently" getting at Norwich and stick him on £2 million a year, I just don't see him turning that down.

The Chairman publically announced at the player of the year dinner last night that an additional £10mill on top of the playing budget he received last year, which would probably give him £30million to spend.

£30 million?

I'm sure I seen a press conference from PL recently when he was quite open about there being little money to spend, as finances we're still tight from 2/3 years ago.

I can definitely see a scenario whereby the club would try and loosen the purse strings to persuade him to stay, but the figure there might just be a tad ambitious. ;)

A £30 million spend this summer will probably make you one of the biggest spenders in the top flight, it's unlikely that even some of the established clubs will spend that.

As an example, we spent £40 million in 2008 and were the second highest spenders in Europe. £35 million in 2009 had us second only to Man Citeh. Everton, Tottenham, Newcastle and co haven't spent close to those amounts these past few years, and the suggestion is that most clubs will spend even less this summer.

As for Lambert, he'd definitely be an upgrade on McLeish (not hard). Some are concerned because of the similarities to MON, but MON had his plus points too.

However if we opt for a DoF (as has been mooted) that would most likely put the kybosh on any chance of Lambert.

Smoke and Mirrors - no ones said that this year yet ? (out of the left field seems this years phrase)

I don't think were getting Lambert. In recent years when a managers hints that he is staying put - he does. Remember how we dissected Moyes comments last summer - twisting them every angle - even when he said 'I have no interest in the Aston Villa Job' - some twisted that and expected him to be our manager next morning.

Martinez looks like he's staying at Wigan, and Lamberts non commital at the weekend, could have been a ploy to get more transfer funds...

Tommorow we are down to Brendan Rogers and Gus Poyet - IMO of course.

Anyone who thinks Norwich will spend 30mil in the summer is bonkers mad. No Chance.

Firstly, thanks for the comments on my previous post

The £30 mill was a typo, I meant £20mill - didn't mean to mislead, genuine typo. Thats probably between 4 & 6 players of the type we go for, to "give the lads a hand" as PL always says

Lots of talk about your facilities and I don't deny they're good, but we have some decent facilities too at Colney and we're now going grade 1 academy too. Also don't make the mistake of thinking that chucking a bundle of money at PL will make his mind up for him, irrespective of other factors. He's a pretty modest guy in the way that he lives his life in the same way that he is when he talks about his own career

One other thing I meant to put in my previous post was that I've seen rumours about you going for a Director of Football. I don't think that will sit well with PL - he & his team have total autonomy over the football side at Norwich and I understand thats the way he likes to work.

Cheers again

KA