Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

Tommorow we are down to Brendan Rogers and Gus Poyet - IMO of course.

Rodgers would be just fine by me. My second choice behind AVB and pretty close to first. Swansea played the most attractive football I watched last season. I would be over the moon if he came here.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who thinks Norwich will spend 30mil in the summer is bonkers mad. No Chance.

Firstly, thanks for the comments on my previous post

The £30 mill was a typo, I meant £20mill - didn't mean to mislead, genuine typo. Thats probably between 4 & 6 players of the type we go for, to "give the lads a hand" as PL always says

Lots of talk about your facilities and I don't deny they're good, but we have some decent facilities too at Colney and we're now going grade 1 academy too. Also don't make the mistake of thinking that chucking a bundle of money at PL will make his mind up for him, irrespective of other factors. He's a pretty modest guy in the way that he lives his life in the same way that he is when he talks about his own career

One other thing I meant to put in my previous post was that I've seen rumours about you going for a Director of Football. I don't think that will sit well with PL - he & his team have total autonomy over the football side at Norwich and I understand thats the way he likes to work.

Cheers again

KA

I don't mean to be funny, but let's say Norwich really do have £20M to spend. Let's also say that Villa have £20M to spend. IMO you can do a lot more with that £20M at a club like Villa than you can at Norwich.

From What i've seen tonight (maybe I missed something), Martinez has been ruled into the reckoning by Whelan's comments, and Lambert has been ruled in by his own comments, which seemed non-committal at best as far as Norwich are concerned. There'll be some twists and turns yet, but I don't think any of the realistic targets can be ruled out just yet.

I take your overall point dukes, but it's possible that with a near similar amount to spend at the Villa he'd stay where he is.

He knows the club, knows the players and -crucially they are (for the most part) HIS players.

The fans also love him there and -as an outsider- he might look at the stick that both GH and McLeish received in recent years (in both cases justified, mind) and decide not to chance it.

The club has only just dodged relegation this season (even if squad wise we should have been nowhere near the drop zone) and he might just think that if he's sitting in 14-16 place with us next March he'll be getting it in the neck, and a promising career is up in ruins. Personally, I think he'll be given far more leeway that the last two - if he continues to do what he's done at Norwich and 'have a go.' Regardless of the calibre of the opposition. But it's a consideration all the same, if he values his reputation (as I'm sure he does).

Then if we look at the two sets of players: I think even most Norwich fans would concede that we have the better squad by far. But some of our lot have been in cruise control for a few seasons now, happy just to coast and pick up their 40-60k a week. The Norwich lads have come up this season with a degree of hunger, desperate to prove themselves. Unlike our pisstakers, who think they've already made it.

Were he to come in, he might want to move a number of players on and reshape the side. But -as we've seen- underperforming players on fat contracts are difficult to shift. In some cases they have to be paid off, or their deals simply left to expire. So there is less scope to trade. Then those same shitheads that contributed to the demise of the last two managers bring him down.

Whereas at Norwich, the wages of his players are such that -if he needs to move a few on- he can do it. And use any money generated to pool towards squad strengthening -rather than payoffs. I'd bank on his players to still have that hunger to prove themselves next year too. Might not be enough to avoid second season syndrome, but we'll see.

I don't mean to be funny, but let's say Norwich really do have £20M to spend. Let's also say that Villa have £20M to spend. IMO you can do a lot more with that £20M at a club like Villa than you can at Norwich.

I suppose that depends what you classification of doing a lot more is. Villa will always attract experienced Prem players. We may not but when you put it into context, you signed N'Zogbia for £9mill, he played 30 games, scored 2 goals. We signed Pilkington from Huddersfield for £2.5 mill, 29 games, 8 goals.

Its not about how much you have to spend its how you spend it

(apologies for going off topic with this answer)

Love how Norwich City fans are using MON as a consolation, don't think they know that MON spoke well about the club and blames Phil Dowd for everything. Also when you mention the Petrov factor, who PL visited last week, they ignore it. I honestly believe we have two or three targets in mind!

No disrespect to Norwich City but the talk (not just on here as I've read it else where) that Villa aren't a big enough job for him are ridiculous.

Okay I'm biased towards Villa which I accept but which of the top are looking for a new manager?

Liverpool, no King Kenny will probably be given at least another season to get it right although I don't think he will.

Chelsea, maybe but does anyone seriously believe they will go for Lambert? they should though but they want a proven CL manager.

ManU, ManC, Arsenal, Tottenham, Newcastle and Everton all have settled managers so I can't see anything changing any time soon so if he wants to test himself then in the Premier League today Villa are the best and biggest challenge going.

He could stay at Norwich, a club that I have always thought of as a "proper" club. Good ground, fans etc and would probably be there as long as he wants. If he has any doubts in his abilities then he should stay but if he really believes in himself and his team and is ready for a chance to manage a struggling giant then he should apply.

Will Lerner risk a manager with 1 years Premier League experience? I have my doubts, personally I sure we could do a lot worse however if this were happen it has to be done correctly. Norwich City will deserve full compensation from any club that he leaves to join while he is under contract, if it is Villa then Lerner will need to cough up big time which could scupper any deal for any manager currently under contract.

Whatever happens I wish Norwich City all the best, except when they get to play the "real" Aston Villa and not one handicapped by Mcleish's bastardy management.

Not wishing to have a ruck with you guys but there's confusion over the bigger club debate.

Yes, you're a bigger club, to argue you're not is silly, but better?

That will influence Lambert in his choice.

Not wishing to have a ruck with you guys but there's confusion over the bigger club debate.

Who was better when Colchester thumped you 7-1 when Lambert was managing them.

I am sure you remember being a Norwich fan when Ipswich came up and finished 5th and Marcus Stewart scored all those goals. What they had was a team that 'over performed'. That is Norwich now. That is nothing to be ashamed of. But player for player Villa have a better team.

If Lambert 'Over achieves' with Norwich he finishes between 11th-14th. If he over achieves with Villa he finishes 7th-9th

Aston Villa last season was a bad as it has been for years, to be hoping only to remain in the division for a club our size is disastrous.

We have twice the POTENTIAL that Norwich have and that comes from being a big club. What I mean by that is by staying in the premier league/being mid table with the odd upset is your peak, It won't really get much better than that. Where as with Villa we have the potential to fill out 42,000 stadiums and get to cup finals and finish in the top 6 and spend £15million on players (all of which we have done over the last 20 years of ever present premier league football).

All of these things before and in future give the Aston Villa job far more appeal than the Norwich one and Paul Lambert should really know this.

C'mon mate, you've had a good season.. but thats it. We have had a bad couple of seasons, due to our poor choice in manager - who is now gone. Apart from the last 2 seasons we were up there in the top 8 consistently, even spoke of as top 4 contenders on a regular basis.

Obviously we are both going to be looking at this through claret and blue or yellow and green tinted glasses. Ask a neutral who is the bigger or better club..

Better is subjective.

Better potential, better lines of income, better facilities, better infrastructure, better academy and so on.

We should have really, we've been one of the largest clubs in the country for nearly 140 years. Even struggling we have one of the 6 or 7 largest incomes in the league and often top 20 in europe.

With the exception of Birmingham City, no club is essentially better than another. But some clubs have more going for them and I'm sorry to say(well, not really), that list in favour of Villa is considerable.

It doesnt mean Lambert is going to come here but there are plenty of pretty obvious reasons why he would.

By the way I wish Norwich all the best. Always a club I've admired. A proper club indeed.