Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

For me, anyone who questions the achievements of Paul Lambert is mad.

Following Colchesters thrashing of Norwich 3 years ago leading to Norwich hiring Lambert, they have never looked back. A quite remarkable turn around and I certainly wouldnt mind. That said, Id prefer Martinez who for me would be riskier but his style has the greater potential.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don`t really think anyone is really putting Lamberts creds to question, just question whether he can actually take on big time players on board. Norwich are really overperforming to be certain, but could he step up from that? I wouldn?t doubt him staying there for a few years, until offers come from Man U or Chelsea (or the likes), and then fail miserably. Was certainly a great player at Dortmund, and is still well loved there. There seems to be a myth on here as to Dortmund playing on the counter at the time. Is simply not true. Dortmund dominated their games, even against Bayern and Schalke. That is why Bayern came in for Hitzfeld and half of their squad after a couple of years (they always do that with their nearest opponents).

Lambert would be the ideal choice,if he wants the job then give it to him. If not RDM would be next on the list,Martinez turned us down & Rodgers will not move imo this summer. Moyes would not leave Everton for us.

Forget old Managers, Graham Taylor was 42 when he first joined us, he sorted the playing side out, Lambert would do just the same & take no shit either!

Don`t really think anyone is really putting Lamberts creds to question, just question whether he can actually take on big time players on board. Norwich are really overperforming to be certain, but could he step up from that? I wouldn?t doubt him staying there for a few years, until offers come from Man U or Chelsea (or the likes), and then fail miserably. Was certainly a great player at Dortmund, and is still well loved there. There seems to be a myth on here as to Dortmund playing on the counter at the time. Is simply not true. Dortmund dominated their games, even against Bayern and Schalke. That is why Bayern came in for Hitzfeld and half of their squad after a couple of years (they always do that with their nearest opponents).

Id take counter attacking champions league winning football any day. Though I agree that its simply not true.

Came to Dortmund on a free, and was sold to Celtic for 3 mil. after 80 odd appearances.

was not bad business for Dortmund at the time. Certainly a pretty impressive player career, and a good manager too.

Came to Dortmund on a free, and was sold to Celtic for 3 mil. after 80 odd appearances.

was not bad business for Dortmund at the time. Certainly a pretty impressive player career, and a good manager too.

He always says he was the crap one in the Dortmund team. Yet when they beat Juventus in the Champs semi it was Lambert who kept the lid on a certain Zidane.

He seems brutally honest to the point of underrating himself.

He might find a few characters at the Villa who are quite the opposite.

Between Kohler and Soussa, you are bound to say you are the crap defnder or midfielder. A bit like Craig Johnson when Liverpool had their heyday. Always said he couldn`t play as good as the others...

It might have already been mentioned but I'm **** if I'm trawling through 52 pages so here goes.

A cockney red (glory hunter) at work gets one of the ManU fanzines posted over each month (sad bastard). As we are so low in his estimation he didn't say anything until today but said that in last months fanzine there is a post by one of their ITK's (who apparently is right more often than he is wrong) saying that Paul Lambert will be our new manager after Mcleish is sacked.

He got the Mcleish sacked part right although we all hoped it would happen it was not certain, I personally wouldn't be against it if the 2nd part were also true.

He always says he was the crap one in the Dortmund team. Yet when they beat Juventus in the Champs semi it was Lambert who kept the lid on a certain Zidane.

He seems brutally honest to the point of underrating himself.

That's classic O'Neill really.

Here’s the thing for me. With our previous manager, we knew he would fail, but not to the level he took it. With Lambert we simply don’t know if he will be a ‘success’ or a ‘failure’, so he must be better than McLeish already? And the same would go for most of the names we can reasonably expect to be linked with; Rodgers, Martinez, etc. They have all done good things, but whether they can take it further and live up to ‘our’ expectations is something else.

Hmm true, but I think Lerner will spend this summer.. not sure why I think it's what Collymore said along with the official statement, he will want to put things right and money will be made available in my opinion.

That straight away should help the new manager (depends on the amount of course)

I'd be more than happy with Lambert - great CV, EC winner, international, played abroad, coaching badges taken in Germany etc. Give him free rein to model the footballing side of the club and to build a legacy very much like Moyes has at Everton.

Yes he plays direct football (which has usually been the Villa way in my 35+ years of following them tbh) but has a plan B unlike MoN.

rumours that Lambert has quit Norwich...

Things could speed up if that's true. Villa were looking to have this wrapped up by Monday next week, could be done by tomorrow if there is no higher ups at Norwich standing in the way.

I doubt Lambert would quit quite just yet. I find it highly doubtful that he would have met with Lerner/Faulkner and discussed the job within the last day or two. If Lambert does join, It will take some weeks imo, particularly as Norwich will make it as difficult as possible.