Stan Petrov

LondonLax

I was worried about the Chelsea game before this - now I don't care. Makes you realise what's important in life.

Actually, there's not much anyone non-medical can do to help at present but I really really want Villa to win tomorrow, for Stan.

Heard off a mate earlier on the way home and so gutted for the guy, absolute professional and seems like a decent guy. Would never wish this on anyone but especially not what seems like a decent guy like stan

I am not going to write this piece about him being the best player in history, but he is a true gentleman.... a player that always represented our club to the limit. If I were to mention two true Villans in our squad it would be him and Gabby. Our club is at a sad state and this just makes it much worser to deal with. Stan Petrov; you will probably never play for our club again but I am 100% sure your name will be remembered forever - and I so look forward to the day when you are paraded on the pitch, healthy and in front of 40.000 people, it is going to be biblical. Like Ryan Giggs you are the type of player that no person would ever speak ill of, when it comes to sportsmanship and representation. In this climate, where the typical fan is struggling to pay his season ticket and the typical player earns enough to buy a Porsche every week you represent the old guard...... and that is an honour. I wish you the best in beating this horrible thing. I will not say something stupid like telling you to fight this thing like you did on the pitch, as that is highly irrelevant and has got nothing to do with the outcome, but I will give you my highest hopes in battling this demon. I do not care about your future footballing prospects, this is about you being able to survive and then live a long life afterwards. Again, true Villa gentleman.

Awfull news. Got atext message while at work and couldn't fully take it in. Horrible news. One of my favourite players in the last few years and a model pro. Unsung hero. Haven't met him personally, but many of my fellows in Villa Sweden have and they've all said that he's as nice as a man can be.

I hope you get well soon, Petrov. I doubt you'll ever play for us again, but that doesn't matter as long as you beat this horrible disease. Oh Captain, my Captain!

Met him once. Signed my shirt whilst he sat in the back of carews car ( 1st season for both of them.)

Horrid news. Here's to you skipper! PUll through.

Probs will never play for us again but what a pro.

Retire that number 19 jersey!!!

Best of luck for Stan Petrov, he is a great role model who always gives his best. You have a hard fight in front of you and you will need a lot of patience because the treatment takes a long time.

I have not read every page on the topic but since i have been battling acute leukemia myself since July 2009 i might explain a bit about the treatment for you.

There are two main types of acute leukaemia, aml and all, i dont know much about aml other than it has a lower survival rate than all. Some further testing will tell wich type he has.

All is treated with chemotherapy after a plan that is called Hammersmith 82. The treatment starts with three intensive periods with chemo, these go over several weeks and togethet almost takes half a year, this will make you sick and in much pain, i almost had too learn to walk again i laid in bed for almost one month. This is the length of many cancer treatments and after this is when the patience part comes in to play. Hopefully these intensive cures will put your body into remission and you can continue with the rest of the treatment plan. If you dont get remission the alternative is a bone marrow transplant. The rest of the Hammersmith 82 treatment plan consist of chemo, mostly pills for 13 rounds each lasting for 12 weeks, a total of 156 weeks. The best possible outcome you are looking at 3,5 years of treatment.

Acute leukaemia is a condition where the bone marrow produces false bloodcells, these are empty and they take over and replaces the cells that has a job to do, jobs like transporting oxygen, fighting diseases and more. These false bloodcells takes over the body rapidly and if untreated you will be dead after four months.

Hope this makes some sense.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2707223,00.html

Fans plan 19th minute ovation for Petrov as support pours in

The club would like to thank fans for the overwhelming show of support for captain Stiliyan Petrov.

It was confirmed this afternoon that the Bulgarian midfielder had been diagnosed with Acute Leukaemia.

The claret and blue family - and supporters of football clubs from all over Europe - were quick to rally around the popular Villa skipper.

As well as the floods of goodwill messages on forums and social networking websites, a number of fan-driven tributes have been planned for tomorrow's game against Chelsea.

A campaign has been started on Twitter encouraging those in attendance at Villa Park to stand and applaud during the 19th minute of the match, in recognition of Petrov and his shirt number 19.

A 'Scarves for Stan' campaign also began on Twitter and Facebook, while many more supporters have pledged to hold aloft banners and shirts saluting the 32-year-old midfielder.

Meanwhile, a series of Twitter hashtags - such as #getwellsoonstan, #supportstan, #getwellstan and #prayforpetrov - have been in circulation as players, supporters and clubs from across the football community wished Petrov well.

Dreadful news. Very upset to hear this. Stan's importance to the team was never more underlined than last season during the period he was out. Many thought his absence would be to our benefit but were more than glad when he came back and steadied the ship helping us to safety after a torrid season. A real player's player. Seems like a genuinely humble bloke as well exemplified by his stint working in a chip van whilst at Celtic to help improve his English.

Really, really sad news. Thinking of you Stan.

Best of luck for Stan Petrov, he is a great role model who always gives his best. You have a hard fight in front of you and you will need a lot of patience because the treatment takes a long time.

I have not read every page on the topic but since i have been battling acute leukemia myself since July 2009 i might explain a bit about the treatment for you.

There are two main types of acute leukaemia, aml and all, i dont know much about aml other than it has a lower survival rate than all. Some further testing will tell wich type he has.

All is treated with chemotherapy after a plan that is called Hammersmith 82. The treatment starts with three intensive periods with chemo, these go over several weeks and togethet almost takes half a year, this will make you sick and in much pain, i almost had too learn to walk again i laid in bed for almost one month. This is the length of many cancer treatments and after this is when the patience part comes in to play. Hopefully these intensive cures will put your body into remission and you can continue with the rest of the treatment plan. If you dont get remission the alternative is a bone marrow transplant. The rest of the Hammersmith 82 treatment plan consist of chemo, mostly pills for 13 rounds each lasting for 12 weeks, a total of 156 weeks. The best possible outcome you are looking at 3,5 years of treatment.

Acute leukaemia is a condition where the bone marrow produces false bloodcells, these are empty and they take over and replaces the cells that has a job to do, jobs like transporting oxygen, fighting diseases and more. These false bloodcells takes over the body rapidly and if untreated you will be dead after four months.

Hope this makes some sense.

I feel for you Milenko27 and hope you are well on your way to once again being healthy.

You know in my stupidity (as trying to take it in) I wondered if he would be able to line up for the Chelsea game, I guess I'm was a little in shock and not thinking right. After reading what you wrote and getting a better understanding of what Stan has to face I just hope he knows that all Villans around the world wish him every success in the biggest battle of his life.

I love Villa, I hate how football has become all about who has the most money and I loath Mcleish but it all pales into insignificance compared to a persons battle for life.

Keep fighting Stan and never ever give up, this includes you too Milenko27.

Dreadful news. Very upset to hear this. Stan's importance to the team was never more underlined than last season during the period he was out. Many thought his absence would be to our benefit but were more than glad when he came back and steadied the ship helping us to safety after a torrid season. A real player's player. Seems like a genuinely humble bloke as well exemplified by his stint working in a chip van whilst at Celtic to help improve his English.

Really, really sad news. Thinking of you Stan.

Well said chips'ngravy.

I too am very saddened to hear that 'Stan' has received this diagnosis.

Let us all support him (and his family) as part of The Villa Family. He was our captain yesterday, and he'll be our captain tomorrow (regardless of this disease).

i had the pleasure of stan at a forum around 3years ago,we is a true gent of the game,we had a chat about international football & villa, said he was on his way to sign for pompy under harry but villa was alerted of this & signed for us. we all wish him well on his recovery.

Sad news, but inevitable, Petrov has confirmed his football career is now over according to a Bulgarian news website. His new challenge is his battle with cancer. Good luck Stan, everyones sending you positive vibes.

Stiliyan Petrov, captain of Aston Villa and Bulgaria's national football team, has put an end to his professinal football career, according to Bulgarian media.

The move comes after a shocking news emerged on Friday that he is suffering from acute leukemnia.

The 32-year-old Bulgarian midfielder will focus entirely on fighting his illness.

"Football is over. I am now starting to fight for my life - and I will fight," Petrov has said, as cited by Tema Sport.

"I am thankfull for the support from all over the world. Wishes from Bulgaria, however, give me the strongest enthusiasm that I will recover."

"The Villa Board received news today that our long-standing captain Stiliyan Petrovhas been diagnosed with Acute Leukemia," Aston Villa announced on its official website on Friday.

After Aston Villa’s defeat against Arsenal last week, Petrov reported his unusually low energy levels to the team’s medical staff, who advised him to rest for a couple of days, in the belief he was suffering from a virus.

His and Villa’s worst fears were confirmed 48 hours later, when he was told he was suffering from leukaemia and was booked in for treatment.

Petrov has been playing for Villa since 2006, after seven seasons in Celtic; before that he played for CSKA Sofia and PFC Montana. He has 105 appearances and 8 goals for the Bulgarian national football team.

Petrov Quits Football to Battle Cancer

From twitter:

Aston Villa goalkeeper Shay Given: "In shock about Stiliyan Petrov acute leukaemia but we are all here for him and his family. Please God he makes a full recovery #prayforstan."

Aston Villa striker Darren Bent: "Really sad news to hear about our captain Stan Petrov. Hopefully he'll be back fighting fit soon. Thoughts are with him and his family. KTF."

Aston Villa midfielder Gary Gardner: "Please God, make Stan be OK. He's our skipper and such a nice man. Praying for you mate - thoughts are with you and your family."

Aston Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan: "Gutted to hear the news about Stan. Thoughts and prayers to him and his family. Stay strong pal!"

Aston Villa defender Carlos Cuellar: "I feel very sad with the news of our captain Petrov. Our support for him and his family. He is very strong and will win this battle. We are all with you my friend. #prayforstan."

Tottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas: "Just saw the news about Stan Petrov one of the nicest guys in football! Thoughts with him and his lovely family."

Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker: "Terribly sad to hear that Stiliyan Petrov has been diagnosed with leukaemia. Thoughts are with him and his family. All cases of Leukaemia vary, but from personal experience with @GeorgeLineker we know it can be beaten #goodluckStiliyan."

Former Villa midfielder Ian Taylor: "Terrible news re Stiliyan Petrov illness. Our best wishes go out to him and his family. Praying he can make a full recovery #getwellstiliyan."

Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba's fiancee, Shauna Magunda: "Get well soon Petrov. We'll be keeping you in our prayers."

Â