Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Talking about his time at Villa

Playng in a  poor team he was the one that made us tick. But hes playing with wonderful footballers under a brilliant manager now. I just cant believe how good De Bruyne is. Best midfield player in the world now for me

With regards to their takeover, was there any specific reason for it other than they were available? If Lerner never bought villa you could look at it like - 

Reasons to buy city:

Built in rivalry with one of the biggest clubs in the world

Relatively cheap 

Biggish fan base 

New stadium

Reasons to buy villa:

Scope to create new stadium with own mark on it

Massive history, one of most successful clubs still despite having most success in victorian period

Huge fanbase, massive potential down M5 corridor, good transport links

Clearly defined biggest club in the 2nd city

Cheap to buy

Great academy and training facilities 

At the time well established founder member of prem

No debt due to tight old biffer running the club 

Or was the city deal for other reasons, ie the sheiks specifically wanted city and would have bought them even in the championship? 

Edited by VillaJ100

Collymore retweeted this article about the owners of Man City. It's long and I haven't finished ploughing through it yet. Not the nicest guys to be owned by if it's all true.

I have had an idea for the opening scene of Amazon Prime’s in-production fly-on-the-wall documentary about Manchester City’s 2017/2018 season. It begins with a sombre warning from a US TV news reporter from 2009: “A reminder that what you are about to see is extremely violent and disturbing.” Then an ominous pause followed by some menacing music as they introduce the grainy footage of Sheikh Issa bin Zayed Al Nahyan using a cattle prod on a former business partner who is being held down by police officer somewhere in the desert outside Abu Dhabi. The menacing music gives way to the sound of Manchester City supporters hailing their owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan — Sheikh Issa’s brother — to the tune of kumbaya. “Sheikh Mansour m’lord, Sheikh Mansour,” roars the crowd as we see Issa beating the man with a board with a nail protruding from it, pouring salt into his wounds, electrocuting him, and setting him on fire.

• Like 2

'. . . as we see Issa beating the man with a board with a nail protruding from it, pouring salt into his wounds, electrocuting him, and setting him on fire.'

They should be familiar with it in Manchester from Joey Barton's nights out. 

Spoiler

:trollface:

Insanely jealous of them.  To think where we were when they got taken over and looking at it all now :bang:

Even if we got promoted this season I don't think Dr Tony currently has anything like the required infrastructure in place to do anything other than survive. 

On 12/18/2017 at 08:47, VillaJ100 said:

With regards to their takeover, was there any specific reason for it other than they were available? If Lerner never bought villa you could look at it like - 

Reasons to buy city:

Built in rivalry with one of the biggest clubs in the world

Relatively cheap 

Biggish fan base 

New stadium

Reasons to buy villa:

Scope to create new stadium with own mark on it

Massive history, one of most successful clubs still despite having most success in victorian period

Huge fanbase, massive potential down M5 corridor, good transport links

Clearly defined biggest club in the 2nd city

Cheap to buy

Great academy and training facilities 

At the time well established founder member of prem

No debt due to tight old biffer running the club 

Or was the city deal for other reasons, ie the sheiks specifically wanted city and would have bought them even in the championship? 

It was a question of timing.

At that stage we were only two years into Lerner's ownership after all and he was fully engaged at that point spending 40-50m a year (chicken feed to what City paid out but one of the biggest spenders in europe at the time).

Man. City had been taken over by Thaksin Shinawatra but he had all the off the field stuff come up so had to sell the club as his assets were frozen.

I would say the international success of Manchester United maybe caught their eye and seeing another team in the city with an excellent fanbase and good stadium convinced them they could do the same. And they have when I was very sceptical about it when they first took charge and started bidding for elite players.

• Like 1

the owners dont make money from football and then start doing stuff like that, they make money from ties with hundreds of businesses that are ingrained within our country and our government

i doubt anyone who drives a mercedes feels bad about the sheiks human rights record either

On 12/18/2017 at 18:32, VillaJ100 said:

To be honest I don't think the average football fan cares about what who owns them gets up to as long as the team is successful. 

You can say they same thing about the football authorities too, FA, UEFA, FIFA don't mind who you are as long as you bring your bags of cash.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a one eyed Villa fan, I don't normally bother with other teams. But today I was stuck out side KFC waiting for the meal to come to my car (Mrs T has massive hangover and refused to cook)

I was listening to the commentary . Palace even had penalty saved 3 minutes to go. and injury in last minute.

Fair play Palace and RH

Â