Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

Man United have bought stupidly. The season Mourinho joined, and before with van Gaal they never seemed to have any plan bar bring in a marquee signing. Defense was garbage to limited and the midfield had no balance to it and that squad is still full of some utter tripe tbh

City have spent almost £700m in the last 3 seasons (and sold players) from an already very strong position.

Pep has also done a good job with the players brought in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Pep hasn't JUST spent money though. There are several players there who have improved a lot under him. De Bruyne being the pick of those.

£50m is looking like a bargain for de Bruyne.

5 hours ago, Genie said:

The Leicester title still amazes me today.

Every 'average' side has a great result or 2 per year. Like when we finally beat Man United or the 3-1 opening day against Arsenal... Leicester just kept having those every week.

Leicester's run went about 50 games (including the Pearson run at the end of the previous season)

Greatest achievement in modern day football by a country mile. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sne said:

City have spent almost £700m in the last 3 seasons (and sold players) from an already very strong position.

Pep has also done a good job with the players brought in.

They've spent (a still vomit inducing) £600m over 3 seasons, not £700m.

As per my post last page, their most expensive purchases have been Mendy (injured? Not sure if first team), Walker (first team), Bernardo Silva (squad player), Ederson (first team), Stones (first team), Sane (first team), De Bruyne (first team), Sterling (first team) and Otamendi (first team).

Man United's most expensive purchases have been Pogba (first team), Lukaku (first team), Di Maria (not there), Matic (first team), Mkhitarayan (squad player), Bailly (injured? probably first team), Lindelof (squad player), Martial (borderline first team), Schneiderlin (not there), Depay (not there), Shaw (squad player) and Herrera (squad player).

Man City = money club, buying the league
Man United = not a fair race with City, don't have the money to compete

Yeah, OK :detect: 

(I find it **** bizarre I'm having to somehow defend a club that has won 20 out of 22 matches in the league whilst their rivals have all also spent £100m's in the same time frame.  Incredible.)

Just now, bobzy said:

They've spent (a still vomit inducing) £600m over 3 seasons, not £700m.

As per my post last page, their most expensive purchases have been Mendy (injured? Not sure if first team), Walker (first team), Bernardo Silva (squad player), Ederson (first team), Stones (first team), Sane (first team), De Bruyne (first team), Sterling (first team) and Otamendi (first team).

Man United's most expensive purchases have been Pogba (first team), Lukaku (first team), Di Maria (not there), Matic (first team), Mkhitarayan (squad player), Bailly (injured? probably first team), Lindelof (squad player), Martial (borderline first team), Schneiderlin (not there), Depay (not there), Shaw (squad player) and Herrera (squad player).

Man City = money club, buying the league
Man United = not a fair race with City, don't have the money to compete

Yeah, OK :detect: 

(I find it **** bizarre I'm having to somehow defend a club that has won 20 out of 22 matches in the league whilst their rivals have all also spent £100m's in the same time frame.  Incredible.)

£677m in fact.

I'm not actually arguing this :), just thought I put the numbers out.

Both clubs have spent silly money and City have gotten way more out of their outlay, they also have a currently better manager IMO.

Carry on.

43 minutes ago, sne said:

£677m in fact.

According to this linky here: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-city/transfers/verein/281

Their spend has been £191m (14/15), £191m (15/16) and £224m this time round.  Your figures were £214m, £213m and £249.3m respectively - are you looking at this in Euros or something?

Either way, it's obscene - but certainly £600m~ rather than £700m~?

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

According to this linky here: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-city/transfers/verein/281

Their spend has been £191m (14/15), £191m (15/16) and £224m this time round.  Your figures were £214m, £213m and £249.3m respectively - are you looking at this in Euros or something?

Either way, it's obscene - but certainly £600m~ rather than £700m~?

Might very well be Euros yeah :)

Then again so would the Man U number I posted be too then.

Agreed, obscene money

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I said at the time he was nuts letting De Bruyne go 

To defend Mourinho (not something I do regularly these days at all) I think the Chelsea move for both of them came a little too early in their careers and they needed to take a step down to mature in their careers.

Salah went to Roma and learnt how to finish in high pressure games which has served him well at Liverpool. De Bruyne became the focal point of Wolfsburg, he wouldn't have had that free role at Chelsea in any case due to Hazard although imagine those two in the same side in any case...

Haven't watched the Belgium qualifiers so don't know how he has performed but I agree he has underperformed in the last two major finals but so did the whole of the Belgium team. This is a big world cup for Hazard and De Bruyne. I expect them to perform and Belgium to get to the semis. De Bruyne was the best player in the Bundesliga the season he was there  and now is the best player in the Premier League, with salah running him close. I guess Mourinho is so arrogant he would never admit he got that wrong. Salah ok he has improved beyond what I thought he was capable of but anybody couod see the talent De bruyne had. 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Well they dont click for Belgium so maybe Jose had a point. De Bruyne has been fairly average for Belgium compared to club performances

That's because of the Martinez/Henry management dream team that Belgium have.  

• 2 weeks later...
Â