Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Man City can play,  its like watching a computer game at times.  

Brilliant stuff by them.

Yes its all very well saying they have bought the title but the they are so brilliantly coached.  Its the best football I have seen in the Premier League. 100 pts and 200 goals a big possibility. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yes its all very well saying they have bought the title but the they are so brilliantly coached.  Its the best football I have seen in the Premier League. 100 pts and 200 goals a big possibility. 

Doubt they will average 7 goals per game for the next 22 league games.

Edited by sne
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Indeed, 5 PL teams in the last 16 of the CL certainly suggests it isn’t a poor standard.

I think outside of the top 6 its pretty much a shit show. Probably more so than ever before. 

• Like 1

Yep more teams outside the top 6 now just want to stay up rather than spend 2-3 years properly building a club and then qualifying for europa league. Likes of Charlton and Bolton used to be examples of this.

In fairness likes of Watford and Burnley are challenging. Teams like West Ham and Everton should be better though for what they spend season in season out.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Yep more teams outside the top 6 now just want to stay up rather than spend 2-3 years properly building a club and then qualifying for europa league. Likes of Charlton and Bolton used to be examples of this.

In fairness likes of Watford and Burnley are challenging. Teams like West Ham and Everton should be better though for what they spend season in season out.

That’s just not true. Most teams are improving and trying to kick on - whether or not they succeed is a different story. Only really West Brom, Stoke and Swansea who are happy just keeping afloat. Everyone else is trying.

I think the league is very strong throughout. The money promoted teams get is insane too - allows them to be more effective than previously. 

more for the games gone thread but i disagree, these teams arent challenging for anything, 60% of the teams in the PL are purely happy to be there, the recent bullshit manager merry go round only highlighted it, the millions spent is usually on bang average overpriced players

i dont watch anywhere near as much as i used to be but when we were down in the shit for 4/5 years the quality of the games vs the teams around us were utter garbage, the worst of it being the likes of us, sunderland, everton up until now...theres more than a fair few teams and players who just give up and take their massive pay packet, west brom in march last season, thats criminal, the **** dont even try in the cups either

The CL is designed for the 5 english clubs to go through, spurs did really well but the other 4 was painting by numbers, so i dont see that as a measuring stick either

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That’s just not true. Most teams are improving and trying to kick on -

They aren't though. Bar the top six and Everton (who are failing at trying to kick on) every single other club in the premier league is just trying to stay up. That's it. That's why as soon as they start to look close to relegation they fire the manager. It's all about staying up and getting the £100m+ of TV revenue. Nothing else matters, not building a team, not bringing through youth players or local lads, not any of the domestic cups and certainly not the europa league if they do get there. 

The sad thing is that if we do go up we'll be in the exact same situation. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I think outside of the top 6 its pretty much a shit show. Probably more so than ever before. 

11 point lead before Christmas. Even the famous 1 team leagues of France, Scotland and Germany dont have a gap that big

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

It really isn't.  Not sure why people think this?

Because if it isn't then people would have to admit Pep/Man City are actually quite good. 

Man City do badly = Pep is crap

Man City do well = the league is crap

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

They aren't though. Bar the top six and Everton (who are failing at trying to kick on) every single other club in the premier league is just trying to stay up. That's it. That's why as soon as they start to look close to relegation they fire the manager. It's all about staying up and getting the £100m+ of TV revenue. Nothing else matters, not building a team, not bringing through youth players or local lads, not any of the domestic cups and certainly not the europa league if they do get there. 

The sad thing is that if we do go up we'll be in the exact same situation. 

Completely disagree. There’s a big step up in class when you get to top 6, but there’s a whole bunch of teams trying to improve - most of the league tbh. The promoted sides also look strong - splashing out for players such as Mooy and Izquierdo. They’re no longer such in it for the staying up - the money enables them to build.

“As soon as they start to look close to relegation they fire the manager” - isn’t that just standard practice?! Failing team sacks manager to try and improve. Hardly a shock factor. A whole bunch of people want our manager out and we’re 5th!

Bringing through youth players is a bit of a “one for the fans” thing really. Unless you’re a top club, you won’t have the best talent coming through the academy (on the whole). You’ll get better talent being brought in.

12 hours ago, bobzy said:

Completely disagree. There’s a big step up in class when you get to top 6, but there’s a whole bunch of teams trying to improve - most of the league tbh. The promoted sides also look strong - splashing out for players such as Mooy and Izquierdo. They’re no longer such in it for the staying up - the money enables them to build.

“As soon as they start to look close to relegation they fire the manager” - isn’t that just standard practice?! Failing team sacks manager to try and improve. Hardly a shock factor. A whole bunch of people want our manager out and we’re 5th!

Bringing through youth players is a bit of a “one for the fans” thing really. Unless you’re a top club, you won’t have the best talent coming through the academy (on the whole). You’ll get better talent being brought in.

The top 6 have moved away from the rest. but it was only last season that Leicester City reached the quarter finals of the champions league. Compared to other leagues in Europe the strength of our league is very good. 

Â