What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

Without completely new models then the SA characters are always gonna have a very bulky elongated look about them. It would need to be a remake rather than remaster for that. The characters looked like crap originally anyway. 

Doesn’t excuse all the other jankiness and bugs across all 3 releases though. I’d expect a few patches to fix the majority but not all. It is what it is. For me, it’s a way to play them on modern hardware easily. 

Performance is one of those things that is just inherently subjective, as to what you can tolerate.

I remember when I was at uni I used to raid in WoW on a shitty laptop with integrated graphics. I got about 8 frames per second in big fights because it couldn't handle the attack animations at all, and I thought it was fine. These days I've spoiled myself so much that my eyes bleed at anything under 90fps :D 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Performance is one of those things that is just inherently subjective, as to what you can tolerate.

I remember when I was at uni I used to raid in WoW on a shitty laptop with integrated graphics. I got about 8 frames per second in big fights because it couldn't handle the attack animations at all, and I thought it was fine. These days I've spoiled myself so much that my eyes bleed at anything under 90fps :D 

I remember that exact thing in the early days of WoW in Alterac Valley 😄

Any more than 4 people on the screen and it was like a PowerPoint presentation of me dying over and over 🤣

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2021 at 13:16, Ingram85 said:

Without completely new models then the SA characters are always gonna have a very bulky elongated look about them. It would need to be a remake rather than remaster for that. The characters looked like crap originally anyway. 

Doesn’t excuse all the other jankiness and bugs across all 3 releases though. I’d expect a few patches to fix the majority but not all. It is what it is. For me, it’s a way to play them on modern hardware easily. 

Scratch that, looking at it a bit closer and it’s clear they’ve totally screwed it up. They’ll need to do a bit of work to this I imagine. Bigger amount of eyes on this compared to the mobile versions or 360/PS3 ports. They won’t be able to just ignore things but I imagine they will try. 

:crylaugh:

For reference, what they've done there is just take the whole model and done a subdivision process on it. That basically ups the geometry by doubling (or more) the existing geometry via average points. The problem is when you've got a sharp, simple shape, it'll turn it into a circle. Which kinda takes away the gag from 'tuff nut'.

Incidentally that subdivision process is something anyone with some free software can do, with literally about 3 button clicks. I can barely use Blender competently, and I can would be able to do that work more successfully. These ports are absurdly lazy.

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2021 at 15:44, Designer1 said:

I'm enjoying it 🤷‍♂️

Well that changed over the last couple of days - never known a game with so many issues. It crashed 3 times within an hour the other night and that was it for me.

I've requested a refund (I won't get one but it made me feel slightly better) 

Horrible cash grab and like a fool I didn't wait to see the reviews. Won't happen again.

Digital Foundry are going over the rereleases in turn and if nothing else, it reiterates that the original releases, for all their flaws and limitations, did use those to create something artistically interesting and atmospheric. These 'remasters' jettison so much of it in favour of bland, straight out of the box alternatives from UE4 that it removes most of the identity from the game.

And they've done it badly as well - the DF video highlights them replacing textures with higher quality ones, but they've done it the most half arsed way possible, where you get things like textures not lining up on models correctly or streets having textures literally jumping between high res to 20yo PS2 standard from one pavement block to the next. And the rain effect they've used on 3 is appalling, actually severely hindering gameplay bad.

Awful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Horrible cash grab and like a fool I didn't wait to see the reviews. Won't happen again.

by and large there havent been any...there was no review copy or code given away, that should probably tell its own story, IGN did a piece monday i think because people kept asking and they said they had to buy their own copy like everyone else, they released the review this monring and gave it a 5/10, gamespot still havent reviewed it

My favourite thing is that they put Hot Coffee back in. So it was removed, cost them $20m in legal fees, and then these daft bastards shipped it again :D 

The really sad thing is the fanmods which have been worked on for years, that were much better than this, being taken offline by legal threats

I love that they were so stupid, they shipped the PC version with its full, original soundtrack, just with some code locking the tracks they'd lost rights to. Of course nobody was going to go digging into the code and find the line that turns off those songs, and delete it. Of course. What kind of mad man would do that? Of course that wouldn't cause legal trouble, of course.

What I found most enlightening about the DF GTA3 video is that, essentially, the best way to play it is on OG Xbox. I didn't realise the upgrade it got at the time. 

Not currently playing it per se but might well do this weekend.... the Witcher 3 is one of my favourite ever games. And has the best two DLCs of any game I can remember 

Bought Surviving the Aftermath which is a colony management sim from Paradox. It plays like Tropico but with a Rimworld theme.

It's a bit dry and a bit too comfortable. I turned the difficulty to max as I wanted a hellish experience but around 10 hours in and there hasn't been any significant roadblocks. It seems I am more in danger from mismanaging resources than any existential threat. Considering the setting, the events are very dull and consist of making a single choice then reading a dialogue box. 

I don't know if this is a Paradox thing where most of the interesting stuff is left for DLC but I will continue until I either fail miserably or complete the game. Anyone interested should really play Rimworld - it's one of the best games of all time.

MechWarrior 5 on the PS4.  Didn't even know it was being ported, was just perusing the shelves on a day off yesterday, saw it and almost leapt across the store to grab it.

I **** love MechWarrior.  Which means I'm probably blinded to its warts, but a couple hours in and I'm having a hoot.

• Like 1

Guardians of the Galaxy might be the sleeper hit of the year. I've put an hour or so in and immediately I've liked it much more than I expected. The writing, which I believe Dan Abnett (the guy that basically reimagined the characters prior to the film's taking them on) was involved in, is excellent. It's absolutely bang on. And it's fun to see a solid single player title that's polished to ****.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Guardians of the Galaxy might be the sleeper hit of the year. I've put an hour or so in and immediately I've liked it much more than I expected. The writing, which I believe Dan Abnett (the guy that basically reimagined the characters prior to the film's taking them on) was involved in, is excellent. It's absolutely bang on. And it's fun to see a solid single player title that's polished to ****.

I’d assumed it was live service like The Avengers game and not given it a second look. Good to know it’s a different type of experience.

Recently fell back into the old Warhammer 40k strategy games on the PC. Very enjoyable and I had forgotten how broken you can make the old games with Orks and few exploits 😂

Edited by Eidolon

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

I've got it ready to play. Just need to put down Skyrim first

• 2 weeks later...
Â