• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Good…

Next Man City and Newcastle…

Then Spurs…

I know it won’t happen, but I’m allowed to dream!

It could. 

First - we might 'like' the Saudi's now, but things change (we went from being on the Soviet Union's 'side' in WW2, straight into the Cold War).
There is an element of trade (oil, weapons, etc) in the government decision making, but there is also the element of stability in the region. Like them or not - Saudi Arabia are seen as a stabilising power in the region overall.

And second - and perhaps more importantly from the Premier League perspective - it's always easier to do something again.
This is a huge step against a powerful and rich individual. Whatever happens to Chelsea, making it happen a second time is always easier, as everyone has the path to follow clearly marked out.

I agree that it is unlikely to happen - but perhaps this step changes a few things. Buying a PL club suddenly comes with a risk that will make headlines around the world, rather than be a simple act of sports washing we have seen up until now. 
One can hope.

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

oh something will happen, a sale will be allowed, the rich and powerful will found a way around this,  chelsea will be fine but the govt get to enjoy the plaudits of a "look how tough we are" story for a few hours / days. 

seeing some posts around of how they will have to take the bus to away games, stay in premier inns etc. as if that's going to happen. they will continue to stay at the same hotels, use the same private aircraft operators, and just settle the bill at a later date.

1 hour ago, DJ_Villain said:

Good…

Next Man City and Newcastle…

Then Spurs…

I know it won’t happen, but I’m allowed to dream!

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

It will not happen but it would make the game in this Country so much better.

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

It could. 

First - we might 'like' the Saudi's now, but things change (we went from being on the Soviet Union's 'side' in WW2, straight into the Cold War).
There is an element of trade (oil, weapons, etc) in the government decision making, but there is also the element of stability in the region. Like them or not - Saudi Arabia are seen as a stabilising power in the region overall.

And second - and perhaps more importantly from the Premier League perspective - it's always easier to do something again.
This is a huge step against a powerful and rich individual. Whatever happens to Chelsea, making it happen a second time is always easier, as everyone has the path to follow clearly marked out.

I agree that it is unlikely to happen - but perhaps this step changes a few things. Buying a PL club suddenly comes with a risk that will make headlines around the world, rather than be a simple act of sports washing we have seen up until now. 
One can hope.

Why aren't you guys including Aston Villa in your list of clubs to be "next"?

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because we are Villa fans - we have a vested interest in seeing our club become more competitive and if that means by making the competition weaker through underhanded, politically motivated, financial means - so be it

Edited by DJ_Villain
Poor grammar - missing word
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Because we are Villa fans - we have a vested interest in seeing our club become more competitive and if that means by making the competition weaker through underhanded, politically motivated, financial means - so be it

Ok, but I assumed you and the others I quoted were objecting to teams like Chelsea, Man City, Newcastle etc because of their rich foreign owners.

Which seems a little hypocritical given we're owned by an Egyptian Billionaire

If the reason is just because you want Villa to be more competitive then I'm completely on board :)

Chelsea lose at least £150 million a year and RA wants 3 billion.  NFL and NBA teams sell for that much because they are in the green most years. Would be crazy for someone to meet that valuation. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Ok, but I assumed you and the others I quoted were objecting to teams like Chelsea, Man City, Newcastle etc because of their rich foreign owners.

If the reason is just because you want Villa to be more competitive then I'm completely on board :)

I’ve got no problem with being a raging hypocrite if what I am suggesting would be beneficial to our club 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

I’ve got no problem with being a raging hypocrite if what I am suggesting would be beneficial to our club 🤣

We also do not commit human rights abuses and support megalomaniacs. Ridiculous argument to compare us to that lot just because we support Villa.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought it was more to do with how money was made. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Personally, because I was referring to where clubs are being used to "sports wash" either money or a regime. I don't count Egypt or a US billionaire as falling into this category. I personally have no issue with the Man City ownership.
If we were still owned by Xia, I would be looking at it differently.

There was a really interesting set of comments by Matthew Syed - link below - on Abramovich from years ago. This hits the nail on the head.

You also get the pleasure of watching Jim White make himself look like a complete knob - basically "yeah the guy was really bad and did bad things, but it helped football in the premier league, so it's OK" type argument.

37 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

We also do not commit human rights abuses and support megalomaniacs. Ridiculous argument to compare us to that lot just because we support Villa.

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I thought it was more to do with how money was made. 

Spurs were mentioned too.

I just think turning our nose up at foreign billionaires spending money to make football clubs competitive is a little short sighted

That being said, **** chelsea. Couldn't happen to a nicer club

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Spurs were mentioned too.

I just think turning our nose up at foreign billionaires spending money to make football clubs competitive is a little short sighted

That being said, **** chelsea. Couldn't happen to a nicer club

That’s just because I hate Spurs and think Levy is a snide bastard who tried to pull our pants down when we were going to the wall…

• Like 2

This has Lazio vibes from about 2002. They had a huge financial crash but really couldn't get everybody off the books bit still had enough solid professionals that they didn't completely collapse. Just weren't the same power they were

Though Lazio owner went bankrupt he wasnt connected to human rights abuses but the club was pretty much taken from him

Â