coda

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I wonder if any of their players would be of interest to us… 

Well they arent allowed sell players, even if they can we could probably only attract the duds like Barkley, Loftus Cheek or Hudson Odoi

They are the European champions they will have bigger suitors

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Well they arent allowed sell players, even if they can we could probably only attract the duds like Barkley, Loftus Cheek or Hudson Odoi

They are the European champions they will have bigger suitors

We could do a loan deal for Mount and Kante

34 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Just watched TT’s interview on the news and his suggestion they replace the sponsors logo with a message of support for Ukraine.

What a top bloke, far too good for that club. 

Tuchel is growing on me. Didn't have too much time for him until this season. He's shown some depth of character in a few instances. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

If no money is exchanged why not?

You have to pay for loan fees as well. We paid 8million for Barkley

Plus you cant loan more than one player from the same team

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't understand not selling tickets and merchandise, as long as the money stays with Chelsea and Abramovich can't enjoy those proceeds.  That's all legitimate business that all Premier League clubs are involved in.

Presumably the point is that the authorities do not believe that you can prevent money that goes to Chelsea from being money that goes to Abramovic, if he decides that he wants it to be so.

Now reporting that takeover can go ahead. So what happens to the £1.5 billion debt to Abramovich. If he writes it off so that takeover can go ahead where does that leave them with  FFP? 

Its all v confusing but if they sort the takeover, I can see them carrying on as normal after that. 

@HanoiVillanso my knowledge of the Yemen conflict is a little sketchy, but isn’t that article misrepresenting things?

From what I understand: Yemen was previously governed by an Arab-friendly government. Then there was a Houthi uprising (backed by Iran) that tried to overthrow the government. The government doesn’t want to be overthrown and the UAE and Saudis don’t want an Iranian proxy in charge in Yemen, so they intervene. There’s a long civil war and lots of people die.

Is that correct? If so, then I can’t help feel NATO would do exactly the same thing in the same position and we’d consider it totally justified.

Consider if there had been no invasion in Ukraine, and instead the eastern separatists made a push on Kyiv backed by undercover Russian special forces. In that situation I wouldn’t be surprised if NATO would provide the Ukrainians direct assistance in the form of special forces and air strikes, rather than meekly allow Putin to install a puppet regime. If the conflict then gets bogged down and lots of civilians die, does that make NATO barbarous monsters?

I don’t think the formula is as simple as “bloody war = bad”. WW2 was an incredibly bloody war but most consider it justified on the part of the Allied forces at least.

A large scale war of conquest is very different from supporting a proxy in a civil war, no? That’s why Russia wasn’t sanctioned too badly after 2014, even though they literally grabbed a load of territory from a neighbour and murdered everyone on board a civilian airliner in the process.

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

@HanoiVillanso my knowledge of the Yemen conflict is a little sketchy, but isn’t that article misrepresenting things?

From what I understand: Yemen was previously governed by an Arab-friendly government. Then there was a Houthi uprising (backed by Iran) that tried to overthrow the government. The government doesn’t want to be overthrown and the UAE and Saudis don’t want an Iranian proxy in charge in Yemen, so they intervene. There’s a long civil war and lots of people die.

Is that correct?

It's an over-simplification. There is an internationally-recognised government, but whether it actually has support and legitimacy in the eyes of the majority of the population is up for debate, and it has been tenuous since 2011. The claim that the Houthi movement is a 'proxy' for Iran seems to be correct in terms of Iran supplying the movement with food, weapons etc, but is misleading in that it seems to ignore that the Houthi movement was born out of local politics and frustrations, and is not just some irregular Iranian military units.

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

Consider if there had been no invasion in Ukraine, and instead the eastern separatists made a push on Kyiv backed by undercover Russian special forces. In that situation I wouldn’t be surprised if NATO would provide the Ukrainians direct assistance in the form of special forces and air strikes, rather than meekly allow Putin to install a puppet regime. If the conflict then gets bogged down and lots of civilians die, does that make NATO barbarous monsters?

I don’t think the formula is as simple as “bloody war = bad”. WW2 was an incredibly bloody war but most consider it justified on the part of the Allied forces at least.

A large scale war of conquest is very different from supporting a proxy in a civil war, no? That’s why Russia wasn’t sanctioned too badly after 2014, even though they literally grabbed a load of territory from a neighbour and murdered everyone on board a civilian airliner in the process.

I don't think this is a helpful comparison, for several reasons.

Firstly, if Ukraine were responding to an insurgency *within its own borders*, it would have a greater claim to the legitimate use of force, as indeed it has had in the fighting in Donetsk and Luhansk since 2014. Saudi Arabia is not reacting to an insurgency within its own borders, but committing war crimes in a neighbouring state.

Secondly, the phrase 'if the conflict then gets bogged down' is hiding a multitude of horrors. Both parties to the conflict have committed a wide array of war crimes, but since we're talking about the government of Saudi Arabia, we will focus on those they have committed, including the use of indiscriminate air strikes on civilian areas, deliberately bombing hospitals, schools, mosques, fishing boats, wedding parties and other obviously non-military targets, blockading the country's ports (and in the process creating a famine), the use of child soldiers, and the sexual abuse of detainees. If we were supporting a party to a conflict that was perpetrating these horrors in Europe, I would not support that either.

Thirdly, the stakes here are simply not World War 2; the Houthis have bombed targets in Saudi Arabia (inevitably, as the Saudis made themselves party to the conflict) but have no intention of conquering land in Saudi Arabia and could not do so in any case. The Houthis have committed plenty of their own crimes and are not 'the good guys' but they are not comparable to Hitler, in either their actions or the danger they present.

Supporting one side of a civil war can still be a crime, just as much as an invasion can, especially if a government's involvement is serving to prolong and worsen the war, and therefore the humanitarian catastrophe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â