Marc Albrighton

kingeightyone

Looked very dangerous today. Should be on the right though

Why? He played 20 minutes yesterday on the left and looked more dangerous there than he has all season. If Albrighton can make the left work then keep him there.. N'Zogbia prefers the right so he's not gonna care if he's moved, if anything he'd welcome it.

He looked more dangerous playing from the left yesterday as he has done playing on the right recently, he cuts in better and used his acceleration over short distances effectively. He's not great at winning one on one foot races, but from a standing position, then suddenly accelerating to trick the opponent, he is effective.

Why was he dropped after he was one of our best if not the best player v Arsenal? I can't fathom that one out. Crap manager is crap.

Because he wasn't - as said before he got involved a lot but his quality let him down every time.

Was pleased to see Marc do well when he came on.

I've not been his biggest fan recently but happy to see him prove me wrong in this game. Ivanovic is exactly the type of defender he usually struggles against and he even brought out a new trick and a left foot cross of all things for his assist.

Maybe there is a player in there. Just think its going to take time for us to get best out of him and we would be playing a very dangerous game if we are going to rely on him to supply goals for us in mean time.

Too many people are prepared to write off too many youngsters far too soon. You have to be patient with young lads as they need time to get the grips with the mentality required for week in, week out high profile football. When Marc got on the pitch he was a class act and tore the Chelsea full back to shreds. The ball he put in to Eric was an absolute peach, too.

Patience, patience, patience when it comes to judging our young lads. Even better, leave it to Sid and Kevin Mac to decide who will make the grade and who won't.

Why was he dropped after he was one of our best if not the best player v Arsenal? I can't fathom that one out. Crap manager is crap.

Because he wasn't - as said before he got involved a lot but his quality let him down every time.

Disagree, he was our best threat. Should never have been dropped.

Against Arsenal he might have been out best threat but the final ball wasn't there, so who cares if he runs clean through 5 times - he isn't doing anything when he gets there.

Different story V chelsea. He managed to get a few decent balls in. However, he did also play a few against the first man.

He should start next game though.

You don't need a 100% success rate to justify your position in the team. If you can get 4 or 5 balls into the right area then I don't mind the odd one hitting the first man. I do think he's much better on the right though. It's clear that the right-footed Albrighton too often stopped and switched to his right and tried to curl the ball in from infield rather than doing what a left-footed left winger would do and just bring it to the byline and cross naturally. We're still slightly using square pegs in round holes and that won't help us. Marc needs to start and he needs to be on the right.

I've asked one of the lads at whoscored.com to look at whether Albrighton is more effective from the left or right, looking at number of crosses attempted, completed and assists. I understand the point about him having to cut in but Young was used here on the left as he is now at United. Albrighton was very effective on the left on Saturday as he was in the second half against Wolves (albeit against ten men) and his only other assist came from the left against Everton.

Too many people are prepared to write off too many youngsters far too soon. You have to be patient with young lads as they need time to get the grips with the mentality required for week in, week out high profile football. When Marc got on the pitch he was a class act and tore the Chelsea full back to shreds. The ball he put in to Eric was an absolute peach, too.

Patience, patience, patience when it comes to judging our young lads. Even better, leave it to Sid and Kevin Mac to decide who will make the grade and who won't.

No time for patience mate, theyve got 8 games to make the grade.

I remember saying last season - stick the kids in - at least if we go down wel go down fighting.

And the senior players who werent playing for Houllier pulled us through in the end so I was well and truly wrong.

That midfield from Saturday will be torn to pieces by nearly every team in the league. Woefully weak.

I've asked one of the lads at whoscored.com to look at whether Albrighton is more effective from the left or right, looking at number of crosses attempted, completed and assists. I understand the point about him having to cut in but Young was used here on the left as he is now at United. Albrighton was very effective on the left on Saturday as he was in the second half against Wolves (albeit against ten men) and his only other assist came from the left against Everton.
Yes, I was going to post about Marc's only other assist also being from the left. However I don't think this style of play is something to be encouraged by keeping him on the left over a longer period of time. The problem is that on the left he crosses from deeper than Ash used to, which means the crosses are much easier for teams to see and defend, which accounts for there being no more than two assists.

On the flipside, the crosses are easier for our attackers to see, also, which is one reason they're marginally more effective than crosses from the right, because our movement in the box is so bad that any crosses from near the byline go begging. Furthermore Marc's the only one likely to ever whip in a good byline cross from the right and he can't beat his fullback lately so it just doesn't happen.

For the small amount of time we dominated possession against Chelsea, we had them boxed into their own third yet could get hardly any decent delivery into their box beyond the second goal. Most of that was because we had Alby on the left and Bannan on the right, both terrified to attack the byline since it would mean crossing on their weaker side. Chelsea could head out most of our deep crossing in their sleep.

FWIW I thought Gabby and Warnock matched Marc on Saturday by producing one decent cross each, but as ever we had nobody anticipating them well enough - nobody making a run to get goalside of their marker, nobody making a gamble at the near post or back post, nobody hanging back slightly in the centre. What was good about Marc's cross was what Lichaj did to attack the ball, which is what we don't have enough of from our so-called attackers - even Bent when he was fit.

Fingers crossed he can really work on that step over to give him an option of going down the left.

As other have said it doesn't matter if you cut back in - just cant do it every single time. Defender needs to be kept guessing at least a bit. I think its partly been symptomatic of his fragile confidence - just wanting to get any kind of cross in rather than work a decent position first.

a lot of people sy a lot of his balls dont find people.... he puts that many in , of course they are not all going to find a man. If they did we would be winning the league!! The fact is he gets in those positions and time after time trys to get the ball in dangerous areas, surprise surprise the second goal came from a great cross of his. He puts the opposition on the back foot allowing the other attackers to get in the game aswell.

Bannan is a great player.. Albrighton I don't think he is. Albrighton should be playing better as he has a lot of competition from players like Carruthers for the position. Maybe that's why Bannan plays better as he realises if he doesn't Gardner will play ahead of him.. Perhaps Albrighton wasn't expecting Carruthers to make the jump, though if that's the case then as well as not being amazing Albrighton is also awfully naive.

Â