Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Davies signing new contract apparently, MON turning his attention to Heskey!

Oh my days. Please tell me there is at least 1% of fact in this? And your sarcasm is not getting the better of me!

Its just a twitter rumour, but it is out there. I think the Davies thing is true, the Heskey bit may be journo's speculating

Seems the consensus of the Sunderland fans on the sky site are happy they are not getting Davis, instead wanting a top class striker....I wouldn't hold your breath!

I could actually see a move for Emile here!

Probably wanted an older head for Wickham to learn the tricks of the trade from, as imo he is not good enough atm.

Typical MON signings though, Bridge is laughable even if it's on loan. Not only does he not care about playing football, but he utter crap now.

Yes he left at the start of a season but given the fact that the club lost the tribunal with him to me it suggests that Lerner et al were at fault for that not MON.

You might want to go read Blandy's posts I believe in the Randy thread but we didn't lose the tribunal and no judgement was made either way. From what I remember it was settled out of court.

It was settled by a football arbitration panel and if the club thought that they could have got away with not paying they would have done just that. You don't settle out of court if you have no blame, you settle out of court because you know if it goes to court you will have to pay and going to court will cost you more in the long run.

That applies to both parties though. Similarly, if O'Neill had thought that it was a slam dunk, he would have refused to settle, unless of course the club offered him more than he would have been awarded.

You settle out of court to avoid costs and the risk of it going against you.

Exactly.

One of the many theories/ fantasies tossed around to justify Magic Martin storming off like a child and taking his ball home with him was that he did so on a point of principle. That he was unhappy with the sale of Milner, the possible sale of Young, interference from Faulkner. And so on and so on.

Yet if the job description had changed, if he had to cede authority that was in direct contradiction to the original terms of his contract, he'd have surely wanted his day in court? As per Curbishley.

A cash compromise - no matter how sizeable- wouldn't have carried the same weight as the panel finding in his favour and making it clear where they felt the blame lay.

As it is, it seems reasonable to conclude that the dispute was one of a remuneration/ notice period nature.

He joined us in early August 2006 on a rolling contract and left in early August 2010. He might (and I stress might) have purposely left just after the start of a new period (rather than July) and claimed a full years pay.

In those circumstances, RL and co would -quite understandably- be reluctant to pay him anything. Hence arbitration.

As has been said elsewhere, I'm fairly certain (although I couldn't find a source last time I checked, but I'm sure the general stated it and it was reported in the media) that's not how MON's contract worked.

He constantly had a year remaining. It was effectively renewed daily, so when he left had no impact on how much he was owed. He'd have had a year left if he'd left on July 31st

Thanks man. I'm sober as a judge as well!

You know, sometimes it's the little things. The way he used to conduct interviews, win lose or draw with that wry smile and a quip never far away. How the players would bleed for him no matter what their talent. Remember the John Carew incident? The way he handled that was just blinding. Even the "contretemps" with Reo-Coker, it's forgotten that he made him captain in the very next game. Promptly dropped him when he was cack, but hey, it's the thought that counts.

The jump for joy. Some of our finest results. Finally beating United. THE 5-1. The boxing day games - Chelsea 4-4 and Arsenal 2-2. Everton 3-2. Beating Arsenal home and away. In fact, we had a bit of a hoodoo over Chelsea. Why? Because we believed. Everyone believed, from top to bottom that on our day we had the measure of anyone.

Why? Martin O'Neill.

I'm happy for people to argue that he wasted a shit ton of money on gash like Heskey and Beye. Yes, they've left a financial hole that it has been a struggle to remove ourselves from. But you know what? **** it. We're hardly "doing a Leeds". Nobody, not even Martin O'Neill could see this recession coming. Not even Randy Lerner. So **** it.

I can't follow him now, I'm not one of those fans. It's not my club, my club is Aston Villa through thick and thin and McLeish. But we'll always have those memories.

Thank you.

Two fantastic posts on this page Dave. Agree with every word. MON top manager and top man.

Yes he left at the start of a season but given the fact that the club lost the tribunal with him to me it suggests that Lerner et al were at fault for that not MON.

We are worse off without him. I never ever worried about the possibility of relegation whilst he was here, I have done twice since

Sunderland will not worry about relegation now, they will beat us and finish easily above us. The actions that the club have taken since MON left have proven to me that the club are to blame for his departure, shit decisions have left us in a right mess.

We will never again, with Lener at the healm, have a manager anywhere near as good as MON

Even in 06/07 when we had fewer points on the board at this stage of the season than we do now? :winkold:

yah with 10 games left that season we were in trouble and people forget because of who was in charge. Mr.PR

More to do with the fact, we were playing better stuff than the year before, he inheritted a team that had finished 16th and had not been able to do too much activity in the summer (if i remember correctly) due to the change in ownership. 11th finish that year was a solid season considering what had gone before. I think that's why people are more willing to 'forget' about the fact we were still in a dog fight with 10 to go that year.

Who knew when he turned up though, what a plank he'd turn out to be.

was some diabolical performances that season as bad as under McLeish at anfield, Madejski and the Valley for example

We went down to 10 at the Valley, I remember Benty scoring the bastard.

I think the Madejski game is excusable because Steve Sidwell turned into Messi for a day and we couldn't handle him.

Â