Martin O'Neill

maqroll

It's going to be a sick feeling when we play Sunderland at home. You just know MON will walk all over McLeish and that will be the biggest embarassment this club has faced in ages. The fact Sunderland are the new Aston Villa and we're the new Small Heath Alliance.

What if we don't lose? Or is that impossible for you to consider?

RCAzL.png

How much money has MON spent at Sunderland? What was laughing about last week when a neutral fan made a point about him being good on a low budget?

Look at the squad he inherited. It's more a failing of Bruce than the ability of O'Neill. Besides Chelsea, Tottenham and Man City their fixture list has been winnable for the most part. There's still much of the season left.

Yes clearly he's inherited a squad of galacticos at Sunderland that have enabled him to rush to the top of the form table.

When will people get over the bitterness and realise he's actually a pretty good manager.

RCAzL.png

How much money has MON spent at Sunderland? What was laughing about last week when a neutral fan made a point about him being good on a low budget?

Look at the squad he inherited. It's more a failing of Bruce than the ability of O'Neill. Besides Chelsea, Tottenham and Man City their fixture list has been winnable for the most part. There's still much of the season left.

Yes clearly he's inherited a squad of galacticos at Sunderland that have enabled him to rush to the top of the form table.

When will people get over the bitterness and realise he's actually a pretty good manager.

But a poor accountant :D

RCAzL.png

Read what I wrote on the previous page (well 54). I have never stated he was a poor manager. I'm not at all bitter, if anything it's the people who keep bringing up the fact MON wins a game in comparison to our own form who are likely more bitter than I am. I could care less who's in charge of Sunderland. My focus is on Villa.

Its embarrasing tho isn't it?

McLeishs record is shockingly bad.

If you are embarrassed by how another club is performing i suggest that you seek help.

I suggest you re-read what i typed.

In that case i suggest that you type it in 'Villatalk', rather than 'Other football' :winkold:

The consequences were potentially (luckily for us someone - who i believe was Faulkner - put a stop to it) far more severe than the achievements were great.

:shock:

Good old Faulkner. Great track record with managers, great track record with players (yes he was the one who sold our best players...). And he thinks we are a top six side. Probably a nice guy, but he’s done as much damage as any manager.

I think its astonishing that his (Faulkners) appointment coinciding with the ridiculous spending (that was unsustainable) coming to an abrupt end is, is not mentioned more often in a positive light.

Now of course that led to results on the field deteriating but that was always going to be the case given that MON walked and the managers replacing him not being as good (so far). There appointments might have been down to Faulkner but, there is no two ways about it, there decision was influenced by the limited shortlist that was a result of the necessary cut in spending.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Houllier and Mcliesh would NOT have been appointed (certainly not first choice) had the manager job at AVFC been more desirable at the given time.

For me, Hes not without faults, but Faulkner is unfairly criticised at times by people who genuinely have absolutely no idea what there talking about when it comes to the ins and outs of AVFC.

ridiculous spending? How much have we spent on getting rid of two managers and paying off another club to appoint McLeish? This is a guy who oversaw the selling of Milner (when we had no manager) and the signing of Ireland on the highest wage ever at Villa.

Necessary cut in spending? Then you sign Makoun and Bent?

Maybe all those figures could have been spent on hiring a decent manager like Moyes and backing him?

MON wasted a load of money, but guess what Faulkner & Lerner have done quite as good a job

Read what I wrote on the previous page (well 54). I have never stated he was a poor manager. I'm not at all bitter, if anything it's the people who keep bringing up the fact MON wins a game in comparison to our own form who are likely more bitter than I am. I could care less who's in charge of Sunderland. My focus is on Villa.

This.

If anything, those who keep highlighting O'Neill's 'success' at Sunderland are constantly reminding us of how much of a piss poor failure he was at Villa Park.

Thing is with MON he always seems get a team playing better that is not his. When taken over from DOL and the Arsenal game and then on the team played well but with DOL team mainly and a few youngsters (Gabby & Luke Moore etc)

At Sunderland he has inherited Steve Bruce squad packed with better and better younger talent than we had at Villa back when he first started.

That James McClean looks an absolute bargain at 350k and is like a younger version of James Milner!! he will go on to better things, also they have Meylet, Colbeck, Elmohamady, Wickham, Campbell so a good basis of good youth.

But give it a few years when most of these will probably be dropped or sold (McClean??) and he starts buying 30+ journeymen (Davies, Heskey) on big money as well as Bridge and that Kyrgiakos but a many more the wheels will fall off and will end in tears and he will resign when their fans will start to question who he keeps buying old past it players on last day of the transfer window.

Like i say, at moment... he is probably god to them and can do no wrong, but this is Bruce's team and just like DOL team at time will work their socks off for him, until he starts buying his old past it players and mega money!!

Then we will all see what happens, like everyone says best Sunderland will do is around 8th.

Thing is with MON he always seems get a team playing better that is not his. When taken over from DOL and the Arsenal game and then on the team played well but with DOL team mainly and a few youngsters (Gabby & Luke Moore etc)

At Sunderland he has inherited Steve Bruce squad packed with better and better younger talent than we had at Villa back when he first started.

That James McClean looks an absolute bargain at 350k and is like a younger version of James Milner!! he will go on to better things, also they have Meylet, Colbeck, Elmohamady, Wickham, Campbell so a good basis of good youth.

But give it a few years when most of these will probably be dropped or sold (McClean??) and he starts buying 30+ journeymen (Davies, Heskey) on big money as well as Bridge and that Kyrgiakos but a many more the wheels will fall off and will end in tears and he will resign when their fans will start to question who he keeps buying old past it players on last day of the transfer window.

Like i say, at moment... he is probably god to them and can do no wrong, but this is Bruce's team and just like DOL team at time will work their socks off for him, until he starts buying his old past it players and mega money!!

Then we will all see what happens, like everyone says best Sunderland will do is around 8th.

At Villa, of course, MON's best season was his last one (highest league points, cup final, cup semifinal), This was the point at which the team was very clearly "his".

Doesn't that rather bugger up your argumnent?

At Villa, of course, MON's best season was his last one (highest league points, cup final, cup semifinal), This was the point at which the team was very clearly "his".

Doesn't that rather bugger up your argumnent?

:lol:

Didn't we improve our points total every single season?

I still haven't read a good reason why conescutive 6th place finishes is considered a failure or not good enough.

Has any of the haters bothered to look at what man city spent the first summer transfer window Mon had? Have people looked at the money spurs spent and who they could attract?

Then you have the original sky 4 who all had decent squads and could offer champions league football.

I don't see how anyone can look at what it took spurs and city to finish top 4 for the first time in their history and really argue that we spent enough to match that.

We had finished 16th, we had 3 summer transfer windows were we had to replace pretty much a whole squad.

Nothing we did gave us the right to demand to finish above any of man u, chelsea, liverpool, arsenal, spurs or city and we certainly didn't do enough to demand to finish above at least 3 of those clubs.

I still haven't read a good reason why conescutive 6th place finishes is considered a failure or not good enough.

unless you have average standards then its a great achievement. You win nothing for 6th. IN 50 years nobody except the most ardent statisticians will now who finished 6th in 09/10

Has any of the haters bothered to look at what man city spent the first summer transfer window Mon had? Have people looked at the money spurs spent and who they could attract?

though im sure Everton didnt spend as much ;)

Â