The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

I don't know why anyone would accept a nothing boring future under Mcleish.

We have the potential to be a competitive team.

We need a manager who can get the best out of the quality players we have. Darren Bent is one of the best strikers in the league. Gabby, Ireland and nzogbia have proven they can be good premiership players. Given is a top class goalkeeper.

We need a manager who can make some great signings for cheap and find some hidden gems. Everton, spurs and Newcastle have all managed to do this and we're certainly a club who could attract similar players from lower league or for little money abroad.

We have some exciting potential in Clarke, Herd, Gardner and Weimman and also from the group of lads playing in the nextgen series. We need a manager who can improve these lads through good coaching.

We don't need billionnaire owners to be an entertaining, competitive team especially when our income is more than most. I refuse to accept this bleak future under Lerner and Mcleish when I can see how much better it could be if one of them or both of them were replaced with people who knew what they were doing, had a clear plan and implemented it efficiently and sensibly.

I think it's rubbish that we should give Mcleish time. Darren Bent is out would anyone say let's give Heskey a chance and time as our forward? No, because like Mcleish he's shown he isn't good enough at this level.

Top post. Agreed.

Yes... Well said that man. Just because we are no longer looking at top 4 does it mean we have to accept dross.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have anything against Mcleish, he hasn't said anything wrong in interviews in my eyes, and he is a decent manager. However I don't believe he is the right man for Villa, I don't believe he is the manager for our young players.

While he hasn't done much wrong, he hasn't done much right either! Too conservative, plays it safe 99% of the time. He needs to go out on a limb and take a few risks and try setting up our team to go for wins than this avoidance of defeat shite! Needs to risk playing more than two of our young players at a time (from the start of a game).

There is no excitement at VP, on Saturday (the 93rd minute apart and the 3 outbreaks of booing) VP was like a bloody funeral, never haerd the place so quiet in my life! Even though we dominated possession and territory, we didn't really look like scoring until Bannan and Gardner came on, and it was all rather boring!

Brendan Rodgers is the man for us - Leaner should go for him.

This is the sort of shit a lot of us are getting fed up of reading. The grass is always greener. What on earth has he done in the game ? C

Just back the man we have FFS

Brendan Rodgers is clearly a better manager than McLeish.

Anyway, you were very much against McLeish not long ago. Why the sudden change of heart?

Because he's backing up my statement i made a few pages ago on this thread. It's also the same statement O Leary come out with before he was rightfully sacked. But the one valid point he did make whilst he was at Villa was "Fickle"

Brendan Rodgers is the man for us - Leaner should go for him.

This is the sort of shit a lot of us are getting fed up of reading. The grass is always greener. What on earth has he done in the game ? C

Just back the man we have FFS

Brendan Rodgers is clearly a better manager than McLeish.

Anyway, you were very much against McLeish not long ago. Why the sudden change of heart?

Because he's backing up my statement i made a few pages ago on this thread. It's also the same statement O Leary come out with before he was rightfully sacked. But the one valid point he did make whilst he was at Villa was "Fickle"

I would disagree that it is infact only a tiny minority like CI that are fickle. In fact I would say that even if AM won every game till the end of the season there are those on here that would still want him out me included.

It easy to come on and PFE but if you read the threads properly you will find that most posters are stuborn in their views OK some of us have to admit to being wrong but that not fickle.

In fact I would say that even if AM won every game till the end of the season there are those on here that would still want him out me included.

Why? If we won the remainder of our games I'm sure we would finish at least 7th, maybe even 6th. That would be great. (It's not going to happen I know)

If we win the league next year with McLeish would people still want him out? That seems ridiculous rational.

I want McLeish gone because I don't think he can achieve anything at our club. If we did suddenly start winning a lot of games though I think we would all have to accept him. (It's not going to happen)

To try and keep balanced about this - my current take

Pro's

- Seems to have got the defending at set pieces issue sorted out. Its been quite a few weeks now since we conceded a corner which is a welcome relief after conceding in same way every week for previous 18 months.

- Also seems to have landed upon a better defensive organisation. Maybe more luck than anything here. But the tranquilliser he's giving Warnock seems to have done the trick the last few weeks and even Hutton has managed some "ok" performances which is a major plus. Even Collins has decided to keep the ball a little better.

Cons

- I am a bit worried about his slowness in thought when it comes to tactics. In quite a few of our recent games we have been pretty good in first half and then pretty clueless again in second half. Each time the opposing team just gets tighter on Ireland or Keane and cuts off the supply line. We don't seem to have a plan B for what is becoming an increasingly obvious response.

- Subbing - I don't see Heskey as a match winner and if I'm trying to score a goal I think Zog has a better chance than Albrighton right now

Here are some more cons.

the Dipsticks style of management has far reaching consiquences for the team,the club and for the supporters.Read on.

1-We have gone from an attacking team to a holding or defensive team

2-The teams attitude has gone from lets win to lets not lose

3-Team spirit must have gone down considering our position,our style of play and our results.

4-The team is getting used to not winning.

5-Apparently a draw is a decent result.

6-the lower down the league we are the harder it is ro attract decent players.

I remember the days when Villa Park was a place opposition teams did not look forward to playing at.

We could not beat the two bottom teams,for crying out loud ?!

There is only one person to blame for all this ...................

Mickey Mouse McLeish :evil:

For me all he needs to do is try to win games instead of being so cautious. The football isn't even that bad (no real hoof and run tactics)...it's just that it seems the team is always confused about whether to attack or defend that the games end up being boring. More purpose, and the supposed winning mentality you are full of and I'll give you some time Alex.

The spirit looked absolutely bang on last weekend

The best of seen it for years

Yep, he seems to have the players 'at it' and playing for him, and the team.

It's one of the first building blocks you need, that and a tight, organised defence, which he now seems to be achieving too.

No coincidence that the tighter defence has occurred with RBD being out of the side either, the fat wastrel!

No coincidence that the tighter defence has occurred with RBD being out of the side either, the fat wastrel!

None at all although I don't think McLeish deserves any credit at all for that as his hand was forced or Dunne would likely still be playing the fat clumsy oaf.

McLeish doesn't get credit for Dunne not being in the team, but he gets credit for the defence performing much better recently.

I actually thought the whole back four play really well against Fulham.

That is the point though Rob I'm not sure he should get the credit, most of last season and certainly all this season Dunne has been the main problem in our defence. He should have been dropped months ago now he is out of the team because of injury and the defence improves. I honestly think Dunne has caused problems throughout our defence and with him removed the whole unit is improved, had McLeish dropped him I'd give him credit for the improvement in the defence as he didn't I'm not.

For those of you advocating giving McLeish time, the reason he doesnt get it is because we have now seen everything he has to offer. It is the same diabololical blueprint that he has inflicted on clubs for the last 7/8 years. If you want to give someone time, give it to someone who has earned it, not someone who has a letter from his ex boss!

At 20 Brendan Rogers quit the game, realising he was not good enough to play at the top level. He did, though, think he could coach there.

“I wanted to make a difference. I went to Spain. I was a big lover of Spanish football and spoke the language. I spent a lot of time at Barcelona, talking and working with coaches, finding out about the model and the philosophy of the club. I’d been to Sevilla, Valencia and Betis.

I also spent time in Holland. It was a sacrifice because I had a young family at the time but I had a real thirst for knowledge. I wanted to be the best I possibly could.”

After coaching in the Reading academy he got his big break in 2004 when Jose Mourinho took him on in his backroom staff at Chelsea.

“I always say that working with Jose was like going to Harvard University,” he said.

While Mourinho’s integrated approach to management was a great influence, Rodgers has his distinctive methods. Pep Guardiola is another who has inspired him and his Swansea team are modelled, in their tactical system, on Barcelona. He even sketches out the tactical system on my notepad.

“My template for everything is organisation. With the ball you have to know the movement patterns, the rotation, the fluidity and positioning of the team. Then there’s our defensive organisation.

"So if it is not going well we have a default mechanism which makes us hard to beat and we can pass our way into the game again. Rest with the ball. Then we’ll build again.

“When we have the football everybody’s a player. The difference with us is that when we have the ball we play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 and a goalkeeper.”

When we have the ball at the moment, everyones a defender!

Lots of reasons to be positive looking forward. The youth being one. The clearout in the summer being another. Then we'll build the proper way without stupid cheat modes on.

For those of you advocating giving McLeish time, the reason he doesnt get it is because we have now seen everything he has to offer!

Ok, we get your point, you don't have to repeat it every 10 minutes

Fact is, McLeish IS getting the summer and will start next season as Aston Villa manager.

Deal with it !

That is the point though Rob I'm not sure he should get the credit, most of last season and certainly all this season Dunne has been the main problem in our defence. He should have been dropped months ago now he is out of the team because of injury and the defence improves. I honestly think Dunne has caused problems throughout our defence and with him removed the whole unit is improved, had McLeish dropped him I'd give him credit for the improvement in the defence as he didn't I'm not.

I find that strange Trent.

One of the main things I see on VT, about our defence, is that Warnock, Collins, Dunne & Hutton are all terrible.

Do you think that Dunne has been making the others play terribly?

Or have you just failed to ignore the fact that the others have been playing poorly, to back-up your point that Dunne is the real problem and therefore McLeish deserves no credit for him not being in the team?

Hutton, Collins & Warnock were all solid against Fulham. McLeish get's blamed for not motivating the players to play well, so why shouldn't he get credit when they put in a great shift like they did on Saturday?

(And please don't spout the 'You're putting words in my mouth' nonsense. I'm asking you a question).

Â