The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

I'm not his biggest fan, but he needs time

I like the signings he's making

What gives you that impression? He proved with SHA that given time things don't really get much better. All we'll do is become more effective at being negative.

Well, he's signed Given, who at first I was a bit non-plused about, however having watched him a lot recently, he really is a top top keeper, brilliant signing

Hutton, we all know shaky start, but in the last month he's looked a different player, and more importantly he looks like he's on a trajectory to get better

Charles Z - again, a difficult first 6 months but now starting to bed down, remember it took DJ about this time too. I think he will be a great player for us next season

Ok Jenas was a mistake, Enda is a big ? At this stage

But this lad from AZ is in nice and early and IMO is an exciting signing

There that's my view

His signings are ok, but what about his actual managerial ability?

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job some of us did what we could about Ellis rather than just 'accept' it - apathy kills!

Ellis wasn't forced out, he could still be there now if he wanted. 10 years of protests against him did nothing, he sold due to his health and he now looks healthier than ever now he doesn't have the stress. Im sure the money he made on the clubs helps a little.

Last time I checked Steve Kean was still manager of Blackburn and Mike Ashley was still chairman of Newcastle.

Didn't say he was forced out but there were constant protests rarther than just accepting of it. The protests about Kean were in reality against Venky and seeing as Toon are doing rather better than us why would there be protests agaisnt Cashley?

Just because it looks like he's here to stay doesn't mean we should accept it. The fact that McLeish will probably be here for years to come doesn't make him any less of a poor manager.

Well no it doesn't, unless he proves people wrong. But their's a difference between wanting him to fail and thinking he'll fail.

Well give him a chance to assemble HIS team and then we can judge him

If he can bring a couple more decent signings in, keep Ireland playing the way he's turned him around (in itself a massive achievement) and continue the careful integration of the academy fledglings, I think we'll be in as good a place as can be expected

Brendan Rodgers is the man for us - Leaner should go for him. I think it's worth the £2 million pay off + new contract even if RL has already paid £12 million in the last financial year on managers.

He should be worth at least another 3000 season ticket renewals at least, because he's not Mcleish.

Plays football the right way - good for our youngsters.

Already has quite a few decent footballers to work with so wouldn't need to give him a load of cash to spend.

Doubt he would turn us down - look how silly Martinez looks for turning us down now. We're still one of the biggest clubs in England despite our dodgy financial predicament.

Not that I would be expecting Brendan to turn us into a top 4 team or anything like that but at least we would be making progress and carrying on the work Houllier was doing with the youth. And at least the club would be in harmony and he could bring on subs without being boooo'ed etc.

Mcleish being here is just destructive for the club. I dread to think how low season ticket renewals will be next season if Mcleish is still here.

Just because it looks like he's here to stay doesn't mean we should accept it. The fact that McLeish will probably be here for years to come doesn't make him any less of a poor manager.

Well no it doesn't, unless he proves people wrong. But their's a difference between wanting him to fail and thinking he'll fail.

Who said they want him to fail?

Good job some of us did what we could about Ellis rather than just 'accept' it - apathy kills!

Ellis wasn't forced out, he could still be there now if he wanted. 10 years of protests against him did nothing, he sold due to his health and he now looks healthier than ever now he doesn't have the stress. Im sure the money he made on the clubs helps a little.

Last time I checked Steve Kean was still manager of Blackburn and Mike Ashley was still chairman of Newcastle.

Didn't say he was forced out but there were constant protests rarther than just accepting of it. The protests about Kean were in reality against Venky and seeing as Toon are doing rather better than us why would there be protests agaisnt Cashley?

Wow, you must of been on the moon for the season they got relegated, they protested every week yet it got them no where and like you said they are now doing better than us and he;s made some very good decisions there, a good example that the fans aren't always right. They've now come to accept that he'll be there for a while.

And yes you've missed the point about Ellis, the constant protests did nothing.

Erm yourself for example, when you said you'd rather we lost than drew a game as it would push him closer to the door!

Erm yourself for example, when you said you'd rather we lost than drew a game as it would push him closer to the door!

What you also missed is that I wanted us to win. If I wanted him to fail then surely I'd want us to lose?

His signings are ok, but what about his actual managerial ability?

this could well be his last chance to fulfill his ambitions, which seeing as he's tasted winning in european competition as a player i reckon are high. he's over 50 and if he doesn't manage to turn things around here he's not going to walk into a job at a bigger club. there's ups and downs in his managerial career so far. he's won stuff, he nearly got scotland into the euro's in 2008 and he got relegated a couple of times!

so far this season there's been some horrible moments (spurs the worst for me) and some signs that he's not just about 11 behind the ball, backs to the wall, anti-football (chelsea, qpr and the first half against fulham prob the highlights). i can see where the negative criticisms come from in that he's all about not giving goals away, but we've also played some really nice stuff going forward.

it's just not so black and white as he's shite antifootball and that's it. as i've said before, big summer coming up. one in which we will finally get shot of some over paid and underperforming players and AM will get the chance to build a side based on the fruits of what is coming through from the academy.

if he doesn't manage to make that work, then he'll have blown his big chance to make it and will be fired and someone else will have a go. either way, constantly hurling abuse at him even when there ARE signs that he can get us playing decent football is a waste of time.

He may have the motivation to succeed but that doesn't mean he's actually good enough. I never said we have been playing negative anti-football for every minute of this season, but on the whole we have been negative and often incredibly boring to watch.

Brendan Rodgers is the man for us - Leaner should go for him.

This is the sort of shit a lot of us are getting fed up of reading. The grass is always greener. What on earth has he done in the game ? C

Just back the man we have FFS

This is the sort of shit a lot of us are getting fed up of reading. The grass is always greener. What on earth has he done in the game ? C

Brendan Rodgers is clearly a better manager than McLeish.

Anyway, you were very much against McLeish not long ago. Why the sudden change of heart?

rodgers has done some great work at swansea, he works at swansea though, not at villa park. if AM doesn't manage to sort it out he'd be a great shout if he'd come. we've yet to see whether AM can sort it out though, so it's a moot point.

CI speak for yourself most fans would swap Rodgers for Mcleish in a second. The only shit we're tired of reading are your schizophrenic, nonsensical rants.

Personally I'd want to see how Rodgers does in his second year in the Prem before thinking he's the one for us.

In my opinion his CV doesn't match AM's at the moment.

And no, I'm not a AM fan.

I stopped reading when i noticed he couldn't spell our chairmans name, there's no hope!

Â