The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That article is not great at all. The writer is the king of wishful thinking if you ask me. Using the cup run for Birmingham as an example of his greatness is just plain daft. The Carling Cup is a great little mixture of luck of the draw and also the top teams playing their reserves. That year Birmingham had 4 home games on the trot before meeting West Ham in the semi-final over two legs. Rochdale, MK Dons, Brentford, Villa, West Ham and Arsenal. The last game is of course brilliant, but everything can happen in one game as we have seen with Leeds vs. Man Utd etc. That is what the cup is for anyway. Had Birmingham gotten an away game in the first leg against Everton or Stoke they would have been out - but they got an incredibly easy way to the final and won it against a complacent Arsenal-team. They even needed penalties again Brentford, some achievement by McLeish!

The author says we are a bigger and better team than the Blues, but what if he stays in charge? Bringing in Enda Stevens and Brett Holman, players I have never heard of in my entire life. And this will probably continue. We are not Birmingham, but a lot will continue to turn into their standards before we suddenly realize we are just the same. With this manager in charge we will never have that feelgood factor, not the fans - and certainly not the players who will all want to sign for another club. Imagine what Darren Bent feels like right about now. He came here when we had Young and Downing, and if not them at least money to sign replacements.

And last but not least. Do not paint a portrait of some holy saint making his way to Villa Park from St. Andrew's to start a mission. He was sitting there, relegating his club for the second time, probably wondering if he was getting sacked in the morning - when suddenly a much bigger and better club rang him up and offered him MORE money to manage a team in a bigger stadium with more fans! What difficult choice that must have been ey? So he could either manage Birmingham again if they would have kept him in his job, or sign for clubs like Coventy or Leicester where he belongs - or he could go to the Premiership with the Villa. No matter what happened, he would probably double his wages and be given a huge lump sum if he managed to do his regular business, namely getting us relegated and himself sacked.

He is nothing but a poor manager (and that is not a crime after all) and a greedy human-being (like everyone else). He will be sacked sooner or later, and he will become an ever richer man in the process. Win-win situation for him, not so much for us.

- Reputation is down

- Results are down

- We are near the relegation mix, and we will play Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd during the next weeks

- Our style of play is random, not scoring goals but not letting in very many. Too many draws the outcome of course

- Players are not satisfied

- Attendances are down and will continue to do so in the future

- Revenue will go down dramatically: Lower league position, very little star material in the squad as our flair players are undermined, lower attendance (as mentioned above) both because of crap results and crap showings

- No chance whatsoever to get players who are tangled up between our club and another, we have no pulling power anymore

- All in all he is born a loser in this job. He was a dead man walking from the beginning, and that never changes. Look at Roy Hodgson at Liverpool, it is just the same here if you ask me. It is like the fans even wishes the teams draw or lose a match just to get the sucker out.

Is this really a "great article"?

I may have misunderstood it but it seems to be arguing that MON wasn't the man to take Villa to Cup and top 4 success but Mcleish is the man to do it.

This is completely deluded nonsense. While I don't go along with much of the anti-McLeish stuff that gets posted on here these days, there is very little evidence so far that he will do anything other than steady the ship and keep us safe in mid table.

After last season's relegation scare I welcome that but I can't really see McLeish as the new Messiah who will lead us out of the trophy wilderness.

Well I don't think it mentions top 4 success, and there's no denying AM did win a cup, with an inferior club.

Even if all he does is steady the ship and keep us safe in mid table, the point that it's making about getting off AM's back is a valid one. The word Messiah doesn't appear in the article anyway.

I was probably misled by this bit
More than Martin O’Neill did for us. He is capable of doing great things, and he can do them for us if we give him a chance.
If that's not saying McLeish can do better than MON and if "great things" doesn't mean a trophy and/or a top 4 place it's just badly written.

Let's just settle for the fact that McLeish can keep the ship steady while RL slims down the wage bill to the level he now has the stomach for. Any temptation to generate support for McLeish by seeking to criticise the MON era, as I take this article to be doing, is divisive and pointless. Houllier tried that without much success.

MON was trying to do what RL wanted during his three seasons with us but Lerner now wants something different, so there isn't much basis to compare.

Any temptation to generate support for McLeish by seeking to criticise the MON era, as I take this article to be doing, is divisive and pointless. Houllier tried that without much success.

MON was trying to do what RL wanted during his three seasons with us but Lerner now wants something different, so there isn't much basis to compare.

Agree. I don't know why it was necessary to even mention MON in the article, particularly. Still, if that's what it takes to cut McLeish some slack, I'll go with it.

Pienso los mods se han algo de limpieza a hacer esta noche!

Los moderadores no representan una amenaza, ya que han crecido fiesta hinchado y en posición supina sobre los frutos grasos de poder.

¡Viva la revolución! ¡Viva la estupidez! ¡Tengo una naranja! ¿Por favor, puede dirigir su yo a un hotel de 5 estrellas? Voy a la playa, y yo estoy tomando una bola de inflatible. ¿Por favor avisar al portero que no es la rana en mi bidé?

Yo he vencido al profesor de robot y este es mi baile de la victoria.

The mods represent no threat, they have become bloated and supine feasting on the fruits of power.

Long live the revolution! Long live stupidity! Please can you direct me to a 5 star hotel? I'm going to the beach, and I am taking my inflatible ball. Please can you alert the porter that there is a frog in my bidet?

I have defeated the robot professor, and this is my victory dance.

The mods represent no threat, they have become bloated and supine feasting on the fruits of power.

Long live the revolution! Long live stupidity! Please can you direct me to a 5 star hotel? I'm going to the beach, and I am taking my inflatible ball. Please can you alert the porter that there is a frog in my bidet?

It made more sense in spanish! :winkold:

Genius :D

This McLeish thread hasn't been this good since page 0.

Can I just point out:

I am sure Richard Dunne and James Collins will be disappointed to know they have been moved on, but I am sure the fact they are challenging for silverware will lighten that load.

Craig Gardner would have bled for the shirt, despite coming out of the closet as a nose the moment he was sold.

"Losing him would put us back to square one". this actually sounds more appealing than the current -5.

You cannot judge a man on three quarters of a season. We are not, we are judging him on his entire shite career. He has though reverted to type at VP very quickly

Bigger and better club with more money? That contradicts the rest of his article and his entire reasoning in keeping McLeish.

Bright future, we have faith. Yeah of course we do, we are proper flying and playing like the dutch. My arse.

Like drowning men to a liferaft! :winkold:

More holes than swiss cheese, but one for the partially sighted to cling onto.

Pienso los mods se han algo de limpieza a hacer esta noche!

Los moderadores no representan una amenaza, ya que han crecido fiesta hinchado y en posición supina sobre los frutos grasos de poder.

¡Viva la revolución! ¡Viva la estupidez! ¡Tengo una naranja! ¿Por favor, puede dirigir su yo a un hotel de 5 estrellas? Voy a la playa, y yo estoy tomando una bola de inflatible. ¿Por favor avisar al portero que no es la rana en mi bidé?

Yo he vencido al profesor de robot y este es mi baile de la victoria.

FFS, Gareth. I've just fought off an all-day hangover but you have made me laugh so much my head is throbbing again. :lol:

Erm...Alex McLeish is shit. No he really is, and I want him to go, and I still can't spell his name without looking it up, what's that about?

But anyway, we're gonna have to endure another season or two of mediocrity before he goes, I predict.

What's the sudden proliferation of pro-McLeish articles? One decent game doesn't suddenly change all the shit we've had to put up with this season.

Agreed.

And the classless McTool is still criticising the fans on a false basis. He was not chastised by the Holte End for bringing on Weiman - most Villans have been crying out for him to get a chance and love to see our youth coming through - he was chastised for taking off the Zog who was our most creative, attacking and threatening player whilst leaving on Gabby and Albie who had both had poor games. McTool knows this but chose to try and point score and I now detest him as a person (for this and similar pathetic interviews/comments over the last few months) as much as I dislike him as a manager.

Â