The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you advocating giving McLeish time, the reason he doesnt get it is because we have now seen everything he has to offer. It is the same diabololical blueprint that he has inflicted on clubs for the last 7/8 years. If you want to give someone time, give it to someone who has earned it, not someone who has a letter from his ex boss!

At 20 Brendan Rogers quit the game, realising he was not good enough to play at the top level. He did, though, think he could coach there.

“I wanted to make a difference. I went to Spain. I was a big lover of Spanish football and spoke the language. I spent a lot of time at Barcelona, talking and working with coaches, finding out about the model and the philosophy of the club. I’d been to Sevilla, Valencia and Betis.

I also spent time in Holland. It was a sacrifice because I had a young family at the time but I had a real thirst for knowledge. I wanted to be the best I possibly could.”

After coaching in the Reading academy he got his big break in 2004 when Jose Mourinho took him on in his backroom staff at Chelsea.

“I always say that working with Jose was like going to Harvard University,” he said.

While Mourinho’s integrated approach to management was a great influence, Rodgers has his distinctive methods. Pep Guardiola is another who has inspired him and his Swansea team are modelled, in their tactical system, on Barcelona. He even sketches out the tactical system on my notepad.

“My template for everything is organisation. With the ball you have to know the movement patterns, the rotation, the fluidity and positioning of the team. Then there’s our defensive organisation.

"So if it is not going well we have a default mechanism which makes us hard to beat and we can pass our way into the game again. Rest with the ball. Then we’ll build again.

“When we have the football everybody’s a player. The difference with us is that when we have the ball we play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 and a goalkeeper.”

When we have the ball at the moment, everyones a defender!

Interesting. i wasn't aware of that, but now it makes sense when you see how they play. Where did that article come from?

That is the point though Rob I'm not sure he should get the credit, most of last season and certainly all this season Dunne has been the main problem in our defence. He should have been dropped months ago now he is out of the team because of injury and the defence improves. I honestly think Dunne has caused problems throughout our defence and with him removed the whole unit is improved, had McLeish dropped him I'd give him credit for the improvement in the defence as he didn't I'm not.

I find that strange Trent.

One of the main things I see on VT, about our defence, is that Warnock, Collins, Dunne & Hutton are all terrible.

Do you think that Dunne has been making the others play terribly?

Or have you just failed to ignore the fact that the others have been playing poorly, to back-up your point that Dunne is the real problem and therefore McLeish deserves no credit for him not being in the team?

Hutton, Collins & Warnock were all solid against Fulham. McLeish get's blamed for not motivating the players to play well, so why shouldn't he get credit when they put in a great shift like they did on Saturday?

(And please don't spout the 'You're putting words in my mouth' nonsense. I'm asking you a question).

This isn't directed at you Trent and I'm not saying you are right or wrong to not credit McLeish here, but what Rob says seems very much the fans usual reaction to anything.

Something poo - McLeish is to blame

Something good - McLeish got lucky

Like him or not, seems a bit unfair to me.

On Rodgers, I would say let's see how things look at the end of next season. No doubt he has done well this season but sometimes newly promoted clubs do that and then fade when the novelty wears off.

I wonder if his mates Pep and Jose sent him messages of condolence when he left Reading in December 2009 with a 26% win rate & with the club 2 points away from the relegation zone?

We'll see next season. Lambert is just a poor man's MON IMO. As for Moyes, better than Mcleish but Everton are dour to watch like us they don't have any real blue-print or set way of playing. 10 years no trophies. I want an innovative manager who's going to try something different and is obtainable. Rodgers fit's the bill for me.

So this is the answer then? Get Rodgers in and we will start playing like Barcelona? Great stuff! Get him in!

But what happens if he doesnt meet your lofty expectations? Get your pitchforks out and start a protest?

Brilliant.

There is no doubt Rodgers is a really good manager.. but he did sign a new contract recently at Swansea so he won't come cheap and to be honest his style of football wouldn't work with our players because 80% of the squad look uncomfortable under possession or under slight pressure.

That is the point though Rob I'm not sure he should get the credit, most of last season and certainly all this season Dunne has been the main problem in our defence. He should have been dropped months ago now he is out of the team because of injury and the defence improves. I honestly think Dunne has caused problems throughout our defence and with him removed the whole unit is improved, had McLeish dropped him I'd give him credit for the improvement in the defence as he didn't I'm not.

I find that strange Trent.

One of the main things I see on VT, about our defence, is that Warnock, Collins, Dunne & Hutton are all terrible.

Do you think that Dunne has been making the others play terribly?

Or have you just failed to ignore the fact that the others have been playing poorly, to back-up your point that Dunne is the real problem and therefore McLeish deserves no credit for him not being in the team?

Hutton, Collins & Warnock were all solid against Fulham. McLeish get's blamed for not motivating the players to play well, so why shouldn't he get credit when they put in a great shift like they did on Saturday?

(And please don't spout the 'You're putting words in my mouth' nonsense. I'm asking you a question).

This isn't directed at you Trent and I'm not saying you are right or wrong to not credit McLeish here, but what Rob says seems very much the fans usual reaction to anything.

Like him or not, seems a bit unfair to me.

I'm inclined to agree with that to some extent but it is tempered by the point on Dunne. Really, at what point can you envision he would have dropped Dunne? Or Collins if Dunne hadn't been injured? At what point would he have wised up and put King Carlos back in?

My fear is that he wouldn't have and would have persisted with them so I can see the point about him sort of getting lucky by having his hand forced.

However, hating on Eck is the prerogative of anyone but it won't change anything in the short term. He isn't going anywhere else anytime soon, that much is clear. Anyone who thinks otherwise is, I think, giving in to wishful thinking and not reading the signs.

We'll see next season. Lambert is just a poor man's MON IMO. As for Moyes, better than Mcleish but Everton are dour to watch like us they don't have any real blue-print or set way of playing. 10 years no trophies. I want an innovative manager who's going to try something different and is obtainable. Rodgers fit's the bill for me.

So this is the answer then? Get Rodgers in and we will start playing like Barcelona? Great stuff! Get him in!

But what happens if he doesnt meet your lofty expectations? Get your pitchforks out and start a protest?

Brilliant.

I'd like to think that fans would have more patience with someone who had a clear footballing philosophy that encouraged a pass-and-move game. Wishful thinking maybe. However, if we take a brief look back at Houllier and his attempt to radically change our style it was less the fluctuating results that turned things sour and more his disastrous PR. So maybe there is hope after all.

Lots of reasons to be positive looking forward. The youth being one. The clearout in the summer being another. Then we'll build the proper way without stupid cheat modes on.

Not with signings like Holman we won't.

Quality. :)

This sounds just like the "win-win" situation that O'Dreary used to hide behind.

We lost - Not my fault. Blame Deadly for not giving me money to buy better players.

We won - I am a great coach, getting the best out of a poor bunch.

darrenm wrote:

Lots of reasons to be positive looking forward. The youth being one. The clearout in the summer being another. Then we'll build the proper way without stupid cheat modes on.

Build the proper way? Into what exactly? Letting McLeish build this club? The only way is down my friend, and that is a certainty. If McLeish spends more time here, if the penny pinching is continued and we only sign Bosmans and free agents - well it is a matter of time before we are relegated.

One thing is Collins, Warnock and Dunne not functioning properly - but honestly who do you think McLeish is going to replace them with?

Lets just try and face the facts here....Mcleish is staying, end of.

We may not like it but thats the cold hard truth. Hes already signing players in preparation for next season ffs. Im sure he has other targets lined up as well.

Hes staying. No amount of kicking and screaming is gonna change that.

This sounds just like the "win-win" situation that O'Dreary used to hide behind.

We lost - Not my fault. Blame Deadly for not giving me money to buy better players.

:?

Well yeah, it works both ways, what's your point? That we SHOULD be saying McLeish just gets lucky when we win and slating him if we lose?

I'm just saying a balanced view needs to be taken by some fans and credit given when credit is due (which is rare, granted :) ).

Really, at what point can you envision he would have dropped Dunne? Or Collins if Dunne hadn't been injured? At what point would he have wised up and put King Carlos back in?

My fear is that he wouldn't have and would have persisted with them so I can see the point about him sort of getting lucky by having his hand forced

Oh I completely agree, Dunne would still be playing if he wasn't injured.

But my original point, was that the whole defence played well.

If we ignore the Dunne-shaped hole, replaced with Cuellar; Collins played well, Hutton was the player I thought we were getting from Spurs and Warnock was good defensively and on the attack.

I just don't think that one fat Irish man in the middle would cause all 3 of them to play poorly (possibly his partner in the middle, but the fullbacks? I don't think so).

We had outpourings of love and adjelation last summer over Owen Coyle

Jeez, we dodged a bullet there

Now it's the turn of Rodgers who has had a fair first six months in top flight football

That whole club is running in adrenalin at present, when that dries up, then we'll see how good Pep Rodgers is

That we SHOULD be saying McLeish just gets lucky when we win and slating him if we lose?

What we really should be doing is saying that McLeish is unlucky when he is unlucky, lucky when he is lucky, good when he is good and bad when he is bad.

There were elements of luck in getting the winning goal against Fulham in the last minute or so and elements of credit to McLeish (mainly for the introduction of Weimann).

I don't mind the luck - as someone else on here posted, it's about time we got some and everyone requires some luck to succeed.

:?

Well yeah, it works both ways, what's your point? That we SHOULD be saying McLeish just gets lucky when we win and slating him if we lose?

I'm just saying a balanced view needs to be taken by some fans and credit given when credit is due (which is rare, granted :) ).

The best way to change that is to improve your 'got lucky' to 'to blame' ratio.

Â