The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

So Brendan Rogers is the answer??? An interesting stat is his record at Reading... The side had recently been relegated the previous year and were expected to challenge for promotion again. Brendan Rodgers took over from Steve Coppell in 2009 and after winning only 6 of 23 games (including one against Burton Albion in the League Cup) he left the club... I'm not saying he's a bad manager, as he's done a very good job with Swansea, but management is strange, it seems that when the 'glove fits' a manager, the team does well.... Like dare I suggest a certain Martin O'Neill does the best with average players getting the most out of them but would be unsuited to Man City type side. Rodgers could come to Villa and do another Reading, I'd be anxious to see if Swansea suffer from '2nd season syndrome' next year.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Brendan Rogers is the answer??? An interesting stat is his record at Reading... The side had recently been relegated the previous year and were expected to challenge for promotion again. Brendan Rodgers took over from Steve Coppell in 2009 and after winning only 6 of 23 games (including one against Burton Albion in the League Cup) he left the club... I'm not saying he's a bad manager, as he's done a very good job with Swansea, but management is strange, it seems that when the 'glove fits' a manager, the team does well.... Like dare I suggest a certain Martin O'Neill does the best with average players getting the most out of them but would be unsuited to Man City type side. Rodgers could come to Villa and do another Reading, I'd be anxious to see if Swansea suffer from '2nd season syndrome' next year.

I more concerned with our 2nd season syndrome under McLeish :lol:

Scottie is right. Management can sometimes very much be down to right time right situation. Where some managers excel is in their ability to make a situation right, or in having a wider ability to fit a given situation if it's not ideal.

I'm still waiting for most to accept that Lambert is the next big thing. It has at the very least gone from being the ravings of a mad man a year ago to being merely doubted and questioned now. It has a few more steps to go on that road but it'll get there. Finally, when he does go somewhere big, most will say they knew it all along :)

Lambert probably is the next big thing. Impossible to argue with his record.

But that doesn't really help us. If he's as good as he seems to be, he'll have his pick of clubs and on our budget he'd laugh at us.

He probably wouldn't even need to join us as a stepping stone to something bigger, which is what it would be if he came to Villa.

Which is why I find the idea of giving McLeish the boot in favour of Lambert a bit laughable. Not a real world scenario.

The time to get Lambert has passed, unfortunately. And Brendan Rogers? That really could go either way, which is why RL won't be spending the necessary millions to make it happen.

Not at all imo. Lambert might be destined to take the Manchester United job or Arsenal. But he won’t from Norwich; he has to go to another club first, and Aston Villa is (despite our current predicament) a big step up for him. In terms of potential and in terms of immediate expectation Aston Villa would be excellent. Go to Man U and you are following Fergie and the pressure is immediately on.

The problem is that Villa won’t go after Lambert, because Faulkner has staked his reputation on McLeish and he won’t be leaving. Unless he does the decent thing, and he and McLeish take the blame and resign.

I doesn't necessarily matter to me whether a new manager turns out to be a success or not although obviously I would prefer it if we found the next Special One. The key is that the new appointment brings some "hope". Both Rodgers and Lambert would do that for me.

The current incumbent offers no hope at all as far as I am aware.

Not at all imo. Lambert might be destined to take the Manchester United job or Arsenal. But he won’t from Norwich; he has to go to another club first, and Aston Villa is (despite our current predicament) a big step up for him. In terms of potential and in terms of immediate expectation Aston Villa would be excellent. Go to Man U and you are following Fergie and the pressure is immediately on.

The problem is that Villa won’t go after Lambert, because Faulkner has staked his reputation on McLeish and he won’t be leaving. Unless he does the decent thing, and he and McLeish take the blame and resign.

With a stroke of your keyboard you've half changed my mind.

Not sure about the idea of being a stepping stone, though. Imagine how we'd have felt if MON had got us into the CL and left the next day for Man Utd. Then again, a manager who got us into the CL probably could and would leave the next day for Man Utd :(

No sorry you are right it was a very good performance, I'm delighted that we scrambled home a goal in the 92nd minute to avoid McLeish being responsible for the joint worse run of home form in our history. It is great that we edged the mighty Fulham by 1% in terms of possession.

McLeish is doing a great job and we are just like United.

Where are you getting your stats from, Trent?

The BBC web site tells a slightly different story.

Fulhamstats.jpg

It's hard to argue that we didn't dominate this game and in the end got a deserved win.

Not sure about the idea of being a stepping stone, though. Imagine how we'd have felt if MON had got us into the CL and left the next day for Man Utd. Then again, a manager who got us into the CL probably could and would leave the next day for Man Utd :(

I'm not sure about an older manager like MON. Arry probably wouldn't leave Spurs for anything other than the England job and he is the same age, I believe, as MON. A younger manager would probably be tempted.

No sorry you are right it was a very good performance, I'm delighted that we scrambled home a goal in the 92nd minute to avoid McLeish being responsible for the joint worse run of home form in our history. It is great that we edged the mighty Fulham by 1% in terms of possession.

McLeish is doing a great job and we are just like United.

Where are you getting your stats from, Trent?

The BBC web site tells a slightly different story.

Fulhamstats.jpg

It's hard to argue that we didn't dominate this game and in the end got a deserved win.

It was a great performance and we tried very hard to force the play.

After half time we settled and thats when they took control, when we push high we play well.

Shame about the subs comment after the game but lets be honest if he sets them out to play football in this way every week we will be a much happier bunch.

With a stroke of your keyboard you've half changed my mind.

If we get a player or a manager who takes us significantly forward and then moves on to a bigger club, I am perfectly happy. What I don’t want is players and managers who are taking us the wrong way, which is what we are getting at present.

The problem at Villa is that the great players and managers that have left have almost always been replaced with crap...

The problem at Villa is that the great players and managers that have left have almost always been replaced with crap...

This, absolutely. Consistently inconsistent. One good Manager, followed by one poor Manager. Goes all the way back to the early 1970's.

This club is ripe for a Graham Taylor mark 1 to come in and do the type of job a huge club like Villa deserves. I honestly think that Paul Lambert could be that man. I truly believe that it isn't Alex McLeish, even though part of me thinks he's a fighter and desperate to prove us wrong.

well, rodgers is definitely an interesting manager. no doubt about it. lambert a bit less so for my tastes (i like possession football and good basic technical stuff, have done ever since starting to watch serie a in 1989 ;) ).

however, rodgers has just signed a new contract and seems very committed to swansea. lambert i'm not sure about, but one thing is for sure that he is contracted to work at carrow road, not villa park.

i'd like a magic wand and turn us into the next barcelona, with a 120,000 seater stadium that's full every week too.

fact is we have a manager, who it seems is going to be given the time to build a squad of his own over the summer. he's already signed a winger to that end.

further to that it seems that 2 things are certain, he's going to be our manager and a lot of keyboard warriors on VT are going to spout a loud of vicous over the top rubbish in his direction until he either fails and gets the sack or he turns it around.

I doesn't necessarily matter to me whether a new manager turns out to be a success or not although obviously I would prefer it if we found the next Special One. The key is that the new appointment brings some "hope". Both Rodgers and Lambert would do that for me.

The current incumbent offers no hope at all as far as I am aware.

This, in a nutshell :(

Â