The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Why has McLeish not been given any time by the fans?

Any other manager would be given time because new, getting used to players and vise versa.

i can answer that (even though its not my own view)

1) His reputation for being rubbish precedes him.

2) His football in every game since he came here has been awful.

3) we've won 1 league game in 6.

4) Villa fans are impatient and generally pessimistic.

i think we need to give AMC till may before judging him, but even i can admit the signs so far aren't looking too good.

I think you are right, and those points relate quite well to me at the moment. I was worried about his style of football at sha not where he came from, and whether we would end up playing the same sort of stale rubbish that sha played. However, I vowed to give him some time to prove me wrong. We had a reasonable set of opening fixtures, where to be honest I expected a little better in terms of footballing style. It is not so much the results but the lack of creativity and goal threat that has me worried. If we continue to play badly, then eventually draws will turn to defeats.

AM has yet to show me he knows how to set up a team to score goals, and that is what worries me most. I will still give him time to prove me wrong, but I must admit it is getting harder to after each game, and I'm getting nervous about our chances this season of even mid table safety for this season.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand those of you saying our performance is typical of Mcleish ?

Didn't you hear his own post match comments ?

He was as annoyed as us at the first Half and asked for exactly what we got in the Second.

He made precisely the criticisms we have - so how is it 'his style/tactics/way etc ?

Prejudice ?

He was as annoyed as us at the first Half and asked for exactly what we got in the Second.

He made precisely the criticisms we have - so how is it 'his style/tactics/way etc ?

Prejudice ?

Basically he is just admitting in front of millions of fans that he is not up to the job. Is he saying he wants to see different football to what he witnesses but dosnt know how to impliment it into the squad? Has the pre-season been wasted? Whats he been doing all this time, as now we are 6 games into the season, yet to play a top 6 team and have only won 1 game..Adding to that, we are out of the League cup through losing a home game against bottom club Bolton. So he can be as annoyed as he wants but he should judged on what he can deliver as a manager, not what he says/does in front of the TV cameras.

I do not see the need to label supporters of this club in one form or another, to group them together and then give them some negative lable as either "haters" or whatever the opposite to that is.

It serves no purpose.

Thing is we are all Vila fans. We all want the club to do well. The disagreement is over how we think we will do that.

I'm referring specifically to the matches vs Man Utd (away) and Man City (carling cup) (yes I know we lost them both) where we were playing like we should be playing passing/possession/tippy tappy we should persist with it and try and perfect it. It won't make us Barca, but it would be good enough to see off the likes of QPR.

Man City away in the FA Cup you mean?

We were dire in that game not helped by the team selection of course.

Man Utd away we were well beaten as well. None of the football I saw in those games would suggest we'd beat anyone in the bottom half of the league let alone the top.

If we have the ball, they cant score, and i dont care if we pass it around the back 4 for 10minutes waiting for an opening, it's better than giving them the ball straight back.

We need serious work on ball retention. First half was an absolute joke, and the second weren't much better. So, so boring.

The problem is that at home a lot of "fans" immediately start moaning when we're doing this. A lot of people don't see ball retention as a good thing. They just wanna see us "get it up the field with pace" regardless of how often that actually works. 4 years of high tempo kick and rush (but still kick and rush) football under MON is the cause of this.

I absolutely agree with you though.

Agree with this, except second half i thought was much improved. Really annoys me at games where people moan we dont keep the ball, then when we pass back, or sideways through defence, they then moan again that were not going forward

Prejudice ?

Equally he is responsible for the first half performance and the set up of the team which again was dire even though we were promised a response after the Bolton match. The second half performance was better but only for a short period, and again we didn't create enogh chances, to score enough goals to put the game to bed and we end up with a draw.

Gotta say this. I do not like McLeish, never have and never will. He has done nothing in his career to make me think he is good enough for Villa. However, I have to be fair to him and say that it appears to me that he is as pissed off with this season performances as we are!

It was clear during yesterday's game that he was trying to push the team forward and get them to play higher. He gave them a rollocking at half time and they came out much better. His substitution of Bannan was a bit mystifying but apart from that I don't think he did anything wrong. Yes he could have taken off N'Zogbia earlier but maybe he's just trying to see if something will click into place for the guy.

As far as I can see from yesterday, it is my belief that the defenders in our team are afraid to push forward due to their lack of pace. They look scared to go to far forward in case they get caught and I think that has spread throughout the rest of team. The midfield doesn't want to push too far and leave a big gap between them and the defence and so on...

The sooner we get a more mobile set of defenders and a mobile DM, the better we will be IMO!

If he is as pissed off as we are then perhaps he should question his managerial methods if he is not getting the best out of the players.

In addition I was led to believe that one of his strengths was in getting the best out of what he had at his disposal, if he needs to replace a large number of players in the team well that aint gonna happen

Why has McLeish not been given any time by the fans?

Any other manager would be given time because new, getting used to players and vise versa.

i can answer that (even though its not my own view)

1) His reputation for being rubbish precedes him.

2) His football in every game since he came here has been awful.

3) we've won 1 league game in 6.

4) Villa fans are impatient and generally pessimistic.

i think we need to give AMC till may before judging him, but even i can admit the signs so far aren't looking too good.

I think you are right, and those points relate quite well to me at the moment. I was worried about his style of football at sha not where he came from, and whether we would end up playing the same sort of stale rubbish that sha played. However, I vowed to give him some time to prove me wrong. We had a reasonable set of opening fixtures, where to be honest I expected a little better in terms of footballing style. It is not so much the results but the lack of creativity and goal threat that has me worried. If we continue to play badly, then eventually draws will turn to defeats.

AM has yet to show me he knows how to set up a team to score goals, and that is what worries me most. I will still give him time to prove me wrong, but I must admit it is getting harder to after each game, and I'm getting nervous about our chances this season of even mid table safety for this season.

Some good points, particularly about the fact we have, on paper, had a relatively comfortable start and I would also have hoped for atleast 2 more points from those fixtures.

It is still early but there are signs for concern. I don't understand how, after the shambolic performance of Tuesday night v Bolton, the players somehow then decide or manage to turn in the same performance a few days later in the 1st half v QPR. How the hell did it take 45 minutes to rectify it.

Why are we not at least trying to retain the ball. Where on earth has our forward play gone.

Yeah it's hard to justify the first half performance even for those of us who are more willing to give McLeish time. I rarely get angry about football but I was disgusted by the first half. At least it seems McLeish thinks it was equally unacceptable and things improved 2nd half (I thought we deserved to win in the end and the back 5 deserved a clean-sheet for their display) but the problem is does he have the tools and will to change it? We all need a bit of a lift really.

this should be locked! he's not going anywhere, and he shouldn't be going anywhere either.

this team will come good this season, i doubt we'll finsih top 6 but we'll do better than last year for sure. the diff between first and second half performance was down to the manager against qpr. he said they play great in training and he was pissed off that it didn't show in the first half. i expect the players to get a rocket again this week and i expect 3 points against wigan.

no-one was that chuffed about the appointment, but for me eck has proven so far that he deserves a chance here. let's give him that chance please instead of calling for his head.

The gap between the midfield and the forwards is there for all to see. How many chances are we creating in a match? We really do look a pretty poor side at the minute. Hopefully Jenas will provide some sort of better balance in midfield, but this has been a desperate start in my opinion.

How many games have we started poorly in this season? 3? 4? McLeish needs to get a grip on things pronto or it will really start going downhill fast.

Still can't believe we've appointed such a shit coach.

Oh look comparisons:

Blues midfield of Larsson...Ferguson...Bowyer...McFadden...Beausejour

Villa midfield of N'zog...Petrov...Delph...Ireland...Bannan

You have the average skillful winger in N'zog/Larsson

You have the aging tryer in Ferguson/Petrov

you have the midfield enforcer in Delph/Bowyer

You have the 'not very good playmaker' in Ireland/McFadden

And the CM turned Wingers in Bannan/Bjour.

I'm sad :lol:

Blues midfield of Larsson...Ferguson...Bowyer...McFadden...Beausejour

Villa midfield of N'zog...Petrov...Delph...Ireland...Bannan

You have the average skillful winger in N'zog/Larsson

You have the aging tryer in Ferguson/Petrov

you have the midfield enforcer in Delph/Bowyer

You have the 'not very good playmaker' in Ireland/McFadden

And the CM turned Wingers in Bannan/Bjour.

Who is Gardner the goalscoring midfielder ;) maybe Ireland

Â