The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

If you heard Ray Wilkins' comments at half time, he made a lot of sense about where we had been going wrong - he knew our players better and what their capabilities were. Maybe he should be our manager ... He could see exactly what I saw in the first half - it just wasn't us. Not what Sky know us for. The flip side of the coin was that their overall research before the game was very lame - Messrs Tyler and Neville showed a woeful lack of how things were for us this season.

Gary Neville said - "Villa fans should be grateful to have such a quality manager at the healm, someone with such pedigree and his track record" or words to that very close effect. You **** poisonous little dwarf Gaz. If I had got a gun, I would shoot you.

Anyhow, back to my point about Ray (thanks very much) Wilkins; it was as if Eck's half time team talk focussed around having watched Ray's comments on TV. We came out and played a bit like the AVFC that the wider watching public would have expected from us. Almost prophetic from Ray, a much different/better second half.

We got lucky with our penalty, though a shirt tug in the box is a shirt tug (something that should be penalised more across the whole of football in my opinion). I was surprised that the ref did not try and level that up, though we picked up some very interesting yellow cards. Then it was back to late drama freak football that us Villa fans enjoyed so often under MON.

Good times are just around the bend? Or maybe, we're all round the bend.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think today we saw the most important thing yet from Big Eck and that was the way we played after the first half. Any team can play rubbish or go on a poor run but the fact the players responded to him counts for something. He has sorted our defence out and once he gets the final third going I'm confident we can do well. He is doing the right things and don't forget he is settling into the club and getting to know people and etc too, I'm sure it is going to get better. I also believe bringing KMac on to the coaching staff will work wonders too!

Yes Ray Wilkins comments at half time was bang on.

We were truely awful again in first half. Diabolical first half. Ref helped us bigtime today.

@Jat_r - i think this is the sort of football most expected under McLeish.

Yes unbeaten in league but having QPR mock you with "boring boring Villa" sums it up...

To be honest that's probably the only kind of football that he was capable of playing with Birmingham. I think the quality we have he will get us playing slightly better football. We may be negative at times but there is some promise. In the second half we didn't just attack, we played some good football. Some of the passing and movement was great. If we can play like that with the combination of a solid defence I think we will be fine and Big Eck will be a success.

I actually think McLeish wants us to play it along the ground. As we saw today, for about 10 or 15 minutes in the second half we were playing some lovely passing football. Unfortunately the players often either sit back or are just crap with playing the ball along the floor. I don't know how much of that is down to McLeish.

Im going to end my point on this but if GH was still in charge we would have lost today as the commitment from our players was 100% and got an unlucky break for the QPR goal(though prob even up the luck on the penalty decision)

Its good to see players wanting to play for Aston Villa and putting their bodies on the line which is mainly down to McLeish

Taken straight from the book of Alex Mcleish's Myths and Clichés.

The only part of the game we played well was the Houllier influenced tippy tappy in the 2nd half. Houllier taught that stuff to Bannan and Delph last season.

But, *i think* Mcleish now recognizers this is how we need to play and hope he puts 100% effort into perfecting it. I still remain unconvinced he has the know-how, however.

Ray Wilkins sure did recognize it.

I think I will see in end of May if I have an opinion on McLeish then. Think it is quite early and short sighted to have an opinion now.

Having a "chat" with senior players after the Bolton game suggests he cannot sort out that dross himself.

Course it could also suggest a bit of good man management but no best to view it as he cant sort anything out.

I think results and performances probably back my argument more than yours, but good luck with your permanent "glass half full" attitude.

Well thanks for the good luck wishes.

As I dont fall into the category of want it all yesterday people that you bemoaned previously I dont mind waiting and giving the guy a chance to see if performances like todays second half become more frequent, its only been 6 games.

Having watched that first half, I would be surprised if McLeish can fill a 5 day week with coaching drills.

So you didnt watch the 2nd half or you just decided to ignore it as it doesnt suit your argument?

Good for you, but dont pin your colours to the McLeish mast if you are hoping for meaningful progress. As long as you are satisfied to see the blues blue print as part of this club then you shouldnt have much to worry about.

I did watch the second half and it proved another one of my much maligned and repeated points, there is half a team in there if we can just get the right person to coach them.

There was a great example of this negativity we all here about from Mcleish today. We had a corner with about 3 mins of IT left. Sky pics clearly show Mcleish wanting 7 players back he counts and holds up 7 with his fingers. This leaves 3 players up-front including the player taking the corner. No-one is saying we should send everyone up in these situations but it is basically just an invitation for them to come at us (and eventually score in this case). We might as well just give them the ball back and not bother with the corner.

99% of teams would have done that, we had no intention of putting the ball in the box what's the point. As for the 20 good mins due to Houllier, Jesus that's the most ridiculous quote you've said yet, and there is a list of many.

99% of teams would have done that, we had no intention of putting the ball in the box what's the point. As for the 20 good mins due to Houllier, Jesus that's the most ridiculous quote you've said yet, and there is a list of many.

There's having players back, then there's having players sitting back practically on your own goal line. There was only ever going to be one outcome of that corner and it wasn't going to be us keeping possession. 30 secs left maybe, but 3 minutes left?

No-ones saying he taught them how to pass, but how to play, there is a difference. The first 10-20 mins of the 2nd half was like going back to the good old days under Houllier.

I wonder how long it will take you to tire of this trolling? Anyway I will engage one more time...what good old days of Houllier? The relegation battles or the waving the White flag in the cups?

I'm referring specifically to the matches vs Man Utd (away) and Man City (carling cup) (yes I know we lost them both) where we were playing like we should be playing passing/possession/tippy tappy we should persist with it and try and perfect it. It won't make us Barca, but it would be good enough to see off the likes of QPR.

I never heard Ray's comments at half time but jesus christ, it doesnt take a rocket scientists to explain how shit we were and why we were so shit. I'm sorry but that all comes down to one man, and that is AMC. Why do our defenders needlessly wack the ball out from defence to attack? Surely they've been instructed to do that? How many times has that achieved something which creates a goal scoring opportunity? and how many times does it just give the opposition the ball? I'd say a ratio of about 1:10000 ... so why do we constantly do it?

If we have the ball, they cant score, and i dont care if we pass it around the back 4 for 10minutes waiting for an opening, it's better than giving them the ball straight back.

We need serious work on ball retention. First half was an absolute joke, and the second weren't much better. So, so boring.

The first 10-20 mins of the 2nd half was like going back to the good old days under Houllier.

You are either trolling or incredibly deluded. "Good old days of Houllier" my arse. Last season was the worst I can remember as a Villa fan.

If we have the ball, they cant score, and i dont care if we pass it around the back 4 for 10minutes waiting for an opening, it's better than giving them the ball straight back.

We need serious work on ball retention. First half was an absolute joke, and the second weren't much better. So, so boring.

The problem is that at home a lot of "fans" immediately start moaning when we're doing this. A lot of people don't see ball retention as a good thing. They just wanna see us "get it up the field with pace" regardless of how often that actually works. 4 years of high tempo kick and rush (but still kick and rush) football under MON is the cause of this.

I absolutely agree with you though.

I spent most of the first half shouting at the tv in the vain hope that the players would hear me. Alas they didn't; my advice of "don't listen to the manager, keep the ball and send it around the midfield" fell on deaf ears.

AMC said his style of football would change. It hasn't. We're playing **** awful football, and boring results.

Positives: at least we're not losing.

Why has McLeish not been given any time by the fans?

Any other manager would be given time because new, getting used to players and vise versa.

i can answer that (even though its not my own view)

1) His reputation for being rubbish precedes him.

2) His football in every game since he came here has been awful.

3) we've won 1 league game in 6.

4) Villa fans are impatient and generally pessimistic.

i think we need to give AMC till may before judging him, but even i can admit the signs so far aren't looking too good.

Im going to end my point on this but if GH was still in charge we would have lost today as the commitment from our players was 100% and got an unlucky break for the QPR goal(though prob even up the luck on the penalty decision)

Its good to see players wanting to play for Aston Villa and putting their bodies on the line which is mainly down to McLeish

Yes of course we would. The team that beat Arsenal and Liverpool last season would likely have sat back, watched an average QPR team waltz around us and come away defeated.

I didnt realise sport was about not losing, I was under the misapprehension that it was about winning.

Â