Watches

Risso

On 02/10/2021 at 10:57, El Zen said:

image.jpeg.7d2ab84df2dddcad58453075cfc66ebe.jpeg

Nixon Sentry Chrono. The quality probably isn’t spectacular, but the price isn’t too high and I really like the look and it goes well with my wardrobe.

So I have three 😬

(the grey one there, one brown leather and one black leather.) 

I had a succession of Nixon watches back in the day. It was my go-to brand for a while. Almost without exception they lasted somewhere between two and three years. I have a feeling the quality is significant;y lower now than it was then too. 

53 minutes ago, astondalston said:

Do any of our resident watch experts have any knowledge to shine on Yema watches?

They've got a strong social media game but is there anything behind the hype? Nice looking watches but I need to know more....

They are an established French brand with a decent history.  Some of their watches look great.  Some look like ans explosion in a 1970 watch factory.  But that's personal taste. 

But.......

Have a look at their rating on Trust Pilot.  Its presently 2.2 out of 5.  There are many mentions of poor customer service and problems with orders.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I usually wear a G-Shock "CasiOak" at work, and it's fine for the factory floor, but doesn't really blend well with the executive side of the office.  I don't really want to wear one of my Rolexes or my AP to the office and flex on everyone, so I just picked up the new Seiko SUR311, which replaced the discontinued SARB033.  I only paid $300 for it and I'm blown away with how fantastic it is for that price.  

If it makes you feel any better, if someone wore a Rolex to my office, I'd probably not notice, and if I did I'd just think "heh, someone's been on AliExpress" ;) 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

If it makes you feel any better, if someone wore a Rolex to my office, I'd probably not notice, and if I did I'd just think "heh, someone's been on AliExpress" ;) 

hahaha.  That is true.  Most people just assume Rolexes are all fake anyway.  

29 minutes ago, choffer said:

I had a succession of Nixon watches back in the day. It was my go-to brand for a while. Almost without exception they lasted somewhere between two and three years. I have a feeling the quality is significant;y lower now than it was then too. 

Oh, I’ve had mine longer than that and not had a problem with any of them so far. 

• Like 1

On 16/11/2021 at 15:12, astondalston said:

Do any of our resident watch experts have any knowledge to shine on Yema watches?

They've got a strong social media game but is there anything behind the hype? Nice looking watches but I need to know more....

Yema Superman.jpg

The claim to have an "in house" movement. How true this is, i don't know, but would guess they're stretching the allowed description to breaking point. Would assume it's a highly modified ETA or Sellita.  That said, while none of their designs exactly jump out at me, they appear to be decent watches at a reasonable price, so if you like them, go for it.

On 16/11/2021 at 17:52, Xela said:

People don't wear Rolexes anymore. Just put them in the safe and watch them appreciate in value. 

You can wear them AND see them shoot throught the roof in value.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anybody got any recommended 3rd party strap manufacturers? Probably  a leather strap but I'm not necessarily against trying other materials. I'd like something that lasts and doesn't delaminate or split or fade if possible For a daily watch not a dress watch.

12 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Anybody got any recommended 3rd party strap manufacturers? Probably  a leather strap but I'm not necessarily against trying other materials. I'd like something that lasts and doesn't delaminate or split or fade if possible For a daily watch not a dress watch.

https://www.watchgecko.com/

https://www.strapcode.com/

Watchgecko are UK based and strapcode are in the US. Have used both, good companies and have been happy with what I've purchsed.  

Watchgecko do good rubber straps. With strapcode I'd find the strap you want and you should be able to get it on Amazon so no probs with import costs etc 

Good luck.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Thanks 1

People don't wear Rolexes anymore. Just put them in the safe and watch them appreciate in value. 

You would think so but when we tried to sell the Mrs rose gold diamond dial last year we could not get anything near its alleged market value. Cost about 10 K in 2004 and retails at 22k now, best offer we got was £6750

Just now, Follyfoot said:

You would think so but when we tried to sell the Mrs rose gold diamond dial last year we could not get anything near its alleged market value. Cost about 10 K in 2004 and retails at 22k now, best offer we got was £6750

It depends from model to model.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The stainless steel sports ones are the in demand watches. Precious metal Rolexes are still a bit hit and miss. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

1 minute ago, Xela said:

The stainless steel sports ones are the in demand watches. Precious metal Rolexes are still a bit hit and miss. 

What Xela says.

It sounds like something Katie Price might go for🤪, I'm sure I can get her number easily if you want to try it on.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

What Xela says.

It sounds like something Katie Price might go for🤪, I'm sure I can get her number easily if you want to try it on.

She wil not wear it for that very reason, says it is too gawdy, hardly ever takes off her stainless steel datajust

you should see some of the pieces Mr N wears 🤣

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

L20211228_171301.jpg

That's from watchgecko, it's about 5 years old from memory, I think they source them from Italy. It smells like Vanilla to this day, it's quality and was only about £30.

Edited by Phil Silvers

Your right, I just wear my Samsung smart watch now, unless I go somewhere posh, which is rare. Here's my 8K Submariner, which should be somewhere safer than my lads stationary draw. 😂

Rolex.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Â