Watches

Risso

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Your right, I just wear my Samsung smart watch now, unless I go somewhere posh, which is rare. Here's my 8K Submariner, which should be somewhere safer than my lads stationary draw. 😂

Rolex.jpg

That Ruler/calculator looks fake.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Your right, I just wear my Samsung smart watch now, unless I go somewhere posh, which is rare. Here's my 8K Submariner, which should be somewhere safer than my lads stationary draw. 😂

Rolex.jpg

I've got a Daytona in my cutlery drawer. 

£10 from a market in Patpong. ;) 

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've got a Daytona in my cutlery drawer. 

£10 from a market in Patpong. ;) 

Believe it or not its a real submariner. Bought it of a close pal about 10 years ago when he was going through a expensive, messy divorce, he had a hulk green face mariner for sale too, they are worth about 20k now. I just never got the box and papers as he couldn't prise them off his wife when he left at the time so got it for a good price.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Hirsch do make a nice strap, not cheap but you do get what you pay for as they say. Nice watch too pal.

Yeah, it's one of their straps that is stitched leather on top and segmented rubber underneath. I had one before but the little mini receptacle thing that you put the main strap through to stop it flapping around broke, and then the main strap flapped about and got caught on something and bent and effectively broke. I'd hoped it would last a bit longer than it did... Probably got about three years daily wear out of it before that happened. Maybe I was just unlucky with it.

The watch itself is great. Never needs a battery, never needs winding, always has perfect time and never needs updating at the end of a month or when the clocks change. Excellent stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah, it's one of their straps that is stitched leather on top and segmented rubber underneath. I had one before but the little mini receptacle thing that you put the main strap through to stop it flapping around broke, and then the main strap flapped about and got caught on something and bent and effectively broke. I'd hoped it would last a bit longer than it did... Probably got about three years daily wear out of it before that happened. Maybe I was just unlucky with it.

The watch itself is great. Never needs a battery, never needs winding, always has perfect time and never needs updating at the end of a month or when the clocks change. Excellent stuff.

The keeper.

I've had a few Citizens over the years, never had an eco-drive though, what model is it?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

The keeper.

I've had a few Citizens over the years, never had an eco-drive though, what model is it?

Citizen Chronotime AT. They do loads of variations of them all around £400 to £500 with lots of limited editions.

Reminiscent of CITIZEN®'s first Eco-Drive radio controlled analog world timer, the Limited Edition Chrono Time A-T now in its second generation, redefines atomic timekeeping with atomic clock synchronization for superior accuracy with world time in 26 cities

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/product/BY0103-02A.html

• Thanks 1

Huh, so Citizen are using their eco drive tech to gun for Grand Seiko then. Not sure they're quite at that level yet, and as much as I like the eco drive tech I do much prefer the elegant way the Spring Drive works, but it's interesting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Huh, so Citizen are using their eco drive tech to gun for Grand Seiko then. Not sure they're quite at that level yet, and as much as I like the eco drive tech I do much prefer the elegant way the Spring Drive works, but it's interesting. 

Yep that's nice, I like the understated look of it compared to some GS's. Don't like investing too much in a quartz, but that's a special watch, I'd snap one up in a bargain sale maybe.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is bad, and you lot are also bad.

I have a little bit of money available due to selling a car and getting a pay rise, so I've decided to splash out on something that (to me) is extremely extravagant.

I'll reveal it here when it arrives.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee. It's here! The SBGA299, also known as the cheapest Spring Drive (but I like its simplicity actually). The dial is strangely hard to capture, it has an almost holographic quality to it.

IMG_01022022_134829_(1080_x_1440_pixel).thumb.jpg.971287dfd78a0358b420398e2f0d8718.jpg

Beautiful watch pal, Im jealous.

The Tudor watches are excellent watches and well justify the price tag. 

I wonder whether the rise in popularity of Tudor plus the huge increase in quality and quantity of Rolex fakes will lead to a devaluing of the ridiculous prices being charged for Rolex on the grey market? 

20 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I wonder whether the rise in popularity of Tudor plus the huge increase in quality and quantity of Rolex fakes will lead to a devaluing of the ridiculous prices being charged for Rolex on the grey market? 

The grey market prices are interesting and, every time I think we're at a peak, the prices just seem to rise and rise. This is for sports (or professional) Rolex, AP, Patek and, lately, Vacheron Constantin Overseas. The issue is that all of these companies are privately owned, unlike Omega for example who need to keep supply in-line with demand, have no interest in increasing production.

Historically, the grey market supply would predominantly come from the authorised dealers (AD). The AD's are independent businesses that have a contract with the manufacturer. In the case of a Rolex AD, they have no say in what stock they get, but they must purchase their inventory in order to maintain their AD status. Typically, their cost to Rolex is around 50% of the RRP, meaning they could clear 'sticky stock' at a 30% discount to the grey market, still make a small profit whilst keeping the cash flowing. The grey market dealers aren't going to want to be saddled with the same sticky stock, so they're incentivised by getting the very few Daytona, GMT, Submariner, etc allocated to the AD as part of their purchase, knowing they'll make a killing on it. Bear in mind, the AD must adhere to RRP, so they cannot sell a Daytona at a mark-up. VIP customers get one, the rest go out the back door.

Meanwhile, Rolex the manufacturer always sells every piece that they make, because the AD's must buy them, so they're laughing at the effect that this "under supply" clamouring has on their brand status.

More recently, there's less of the sticky stock, as models that were readily obtainable like the Air King, Explorer, Milgauss, are now unobtainable. You can still order a mixed-metal DateJust, or some of the ladies watches and possibly a yellow gold Day Date, but we're in the realms that a £5k Tiffany Blue Oyster Perpetual is trading for £20k on Chrono24, with an ever increase consumer demand but no increases in production. Walk into any Rolex AD now and the shelves are bare - it's weird.

Tudor will definitely benefit, and I would say they're a good bet for those wanting to keep an eye on resale values as they don't need to keep supply in-line with the market demands.

There's actually enough pieces out there to satisfy a huge chunk (perhaps not all) of the demand, as you can find the watch that you want, new and unworn, on Chrono24, so it's not that Rolex aren't making enough the justify the scarcity in their boutiques. But until something changes with the flow into the grey markets, or those that get the call and immediately flip their watch for a large profit, I'm not sure how values will change. Rolex as a brand as smart as they come. They realise that is their watches were easy to get, the prestige element of wanting one would diminish, so they're unlikely to call for any changes in distribution any time soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Agreed. The Black Bay and Submariner are very similar in design and I haven't noticed a gulf in quality to mirror the price gap.

FKqwD2qX0AIRdUa?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 2

The watch brands have a vested interest in keeping grey market prices high.  By doing so it gives the impression that your brand new watch is really worth double its RRP.  Therefore your £12,000 purchase is actually a bargain because you are getting something worth £24,000.  

But..........

I am not convinced that 99% of watches are good investments, especially at a time when everyone is buying them because they THINK they are a way to make easy money. 

At some stage the present bubble has to burst.  Something else will become the guaranteed investment.  Once the investment customers disappear the prices will adjust.  

I am a fan of Timex watches.  I wear them as an everyday beta watch.  Before Xmas I spotted a very nice Timex watch for $250 new (Huckberry Arctic Navi XL).  But you can't get them.  Someone tried to sell me one from the grey market for a massive mark-up telling me that it was an investment.  I almost choked with laughter.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Added details
  • Like 1

Â