Watches

Risso

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Plus you could never get from from an authorised dealer at the moment anyway. Unless you have a history with them, i'd guess the wait would be years - over 10 years for a Daytona or GMT I think.

Only option is the grey market and you'll pay 50% more then list price. 

Madness isn't it? 

You’re absolutely right.  Colleague at work has a lovely Rolex (GMT Black Bezel), which he bought approx 10 years ago and paid I think approx £2500.  Now worth about £9,000 to £10,000. Great looking watch and great investment piece as it turns out. As you say trying to find one at a sensible price now is near impossible unfortunately. Just wish I’d have thought about buying one before the kids arrived.

Edited by ferguson1

10 hours ago, Tegis said:

My missus bought me a Tissot PRS200 in white/blue, 20 years ago. I wear it everyday. Faultless!

Edit: I posted it on page 4 in this thread apperantly. Still going strong :D

sCoKOvG.jpg

Thanks all for your input.  Think I'm going to go with a Tissot in the end, hadn't really looked at them that much before.  The PRC200 automatic, similar to @Tegis.    Bonus was I also found it with some very good discount so less than £500 from EJ. :D:D:D

image.png.c9e1eaa4f266ef2076487c18baa9f1c0.png

• Like 3

Seamaster is a very good watch.  It does not hold its value particularly well but that is not a consideration if you are looking to sell it at a later date.  There are plenty of variants.  

If you want a bit of history have a look at the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch.  It's not as eye catching.  But it was the first watch worn on the moon and the authorised watch for NASA.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Spelling mistake
  • Thanks 1

I thought I'd update you on my quest to acquire this watch.  Omega Speedmaster Silver Snoopy 50th Anniversary.  The animation on the back of the watch moves as the hands on the face move.  Its not a limited edition but its being produced in very small numbers .  The retail price is £8250.  

image.jpeg.fd7a043d4a111c31a3c256ce8f79d21a.jpeg

I always knew this was going to be a challenge.  My usual supplier is quite prestigious and can normally guarantee supplying regular customers if you wait long enough.  They will receive 1 to sell during 2021.   I'm a good customer but not good enough.   I started looking around the Grey Market.  These are typically watches that are purchased from authorised dealers and immediately resold for profit.  I was quickly offered one.  If I was willing to shell out £30,000.   I wasn't. 

I have been continuing to monitor prices and for the first time I have spotted one for sale under £20,000.   But typically they are still going for around £25,000.   Omega seem to have hit problems with the manufacture and supply is still much lower than you'd expect for any limited edition.   I wait to see if Omega will manufacture the watch in 2022, in what volumes and at what price.  

One day......it shall be mine.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Spelling mishsteaks
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

27 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I thought I'd update you on my quest to acquire this watch.  Omega Speedmaster Silver Snoopy 50th Anniversary.  The animation on the back of the watch moves as the hands on the face move.  Its not a limited edition but its not being produced in vert small numbers .  The retail price is £8250.  

I always knew this was going to be a challenge.  My usual supplier is quite prestigious and can normally guarantee supplying regular customers if you wait long enough.  They will receive 1 to sell during 2021.   I'm a good customer but not good enough.   I started looking around the Grey Market.  These are typically watches that are purchased from authorised dealers and immediately resold for profit.  I was quickly offered one.  If I was willing to shell out £30,000.   I wasn't. 

I have been continuing to monitor prices and for the first time I have spotted one for sale under £20,000.   But typically they are still going for around £25,000.   Omega seem to have hit problems with the manufacture and supply is still much lower than you'd expect for any limited edition.   I wait to see if Omega will manufacture the watch in 2022, in what volumes and at what price.  

One day......it shall be mine.  

Looks a lovely watch but way out of my league. Hope you get one mate.

What are your thoughts on the Omega 007 limited edition watch? Again, pricey at around £8,000 but I was thinking do these ‘limited edition’ type watches hold/gain value over time?

12 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

What are your thoughts on the Omega 007 limited edition watch? Again, pricey at around £8,000 but I was thinking do these ‘limited edition’ type watches hold/gain value over time?

I assume you mean the current one which is a lovely cream/brown colour? 

This is an awkward one for me.  I love the watch.  I love the colours. I love everything about it except its connection to 007.  I haven't purchased one for that reason. 

It's expensive for what it is.  You are paying an extra £2000 for the bond connection.  

Will it hold its value?   I am no expert but I doubt it.  It will be attractive to 007 fans which will make it more desirable than a normal version. It seems too commonplace.  

Have  a look at an alternative 007  Omega reference 210.22.42.20.01.004.  This retails at around £5.5k and is going £6k to £7.  But it's a smaller production run. 

If you want to see whether watches gain or lose value I would recommend the website CHRONO24.co.uk . Most watches are on there and it will give you a good idea.  

I use it all the time for information and prices but I have never purchased from it.  Nor would I recommend doing so. Its just too risky for me when it's an expensive purchase. I want to see watches before I hand over cash.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I assume you mean the current one which is a lovely cream/brown colour? 

This is an awkward one for me.  I love the watch.  I love the colours. I love everything about it except its connection to 007.  I haven't purchased one for that reason. 

It's expensive for what it is.  You are paying an extra £2000 for the bond connection.  

Will it hold its value?   I am no expert but I doubt it.  It will be attractive to 007 fans which will make it more desirable than a normal version. It seems too commonplace.  

Have  a look at an alternative 007  Omega reference 210.22.42.20.01.004.  This retails at around £5.5k and is going £6k to £7.  But it's a smaller production run. 

If you want to see whether watches gain or lose value I would recommend the website CHRONO24.co.uk . Most watches are on there and it will give you a good idea.  

I use it all the time for information and prices but I have never purchased from it.  Nor would I recommend doing so. Its just too risky for me when it's an expensive purchase. I want to see watches before I hand over cash.  

Yeah, that’s the one (cream/brown) colour. I saw it at the weekend and thought it looked nice, but an inflated price.

Many thanks for the helpful information. I really am a novice with watches but I know what I like.  I couldn’t order/buy a new watch either without seeing and feeling it on the wrist. 

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I thought I'd update you on my quest to acquire this watch.  Omega Speedmaster Silver Snoopy 50th Anniversary.  The animation on the back of the watch moves as the hands on the face move.  Its not a limited edition but its not being produced in vert small numbers .  The retail price is £8250.  

Saw one on watchfinder yesterday. £44,000!!!

I am resigned to not having one. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Not sure what people think of this watch but really tempted now. May find it for under £4,000 I reckon.  Omega Seamaster:

image.thumb.jpeg.11fa4e0a698adeba282d9c792218e36c.jpeg

I got one eight years ago. The one with the black rubber strap and orange detail. Worn it every day since. Absolutely love it and the only watches I’d wear instead would be a Milgauss (which I hope to get one day soon) or the silver snoopy (which I’ll never be able to afford). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Not sure what people think of this watch but really tempted now. May find it for under £4,000 I reckon.  Omega Seamaster:

image.thumb.jpeg.11fa4e0a698adeba282d9c792218e36c.jpeg

Bought my dad one of those for his 60th about 6 years ago. It was closer to £2k. Prices are crazy these days. Wonderful looking watch IMO.

• Like 1

The Moonphase I have (above) is over ten years old now, they have changed the design slightly on the newer models.

My one as above I guess is quite a rarity now.

I recently acquired a Seiko 'Arnie' which I have wanted for some time now, a much cheaper watch but I really like it.

download.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 06/07/2021 at 13:00, choffer said:

Saw one on watchfinder yesterday. £44,000!!!

I am resigned to not having one. 

Yes they’re getting close to and in some cases overtaking the prices of the Silver Snoopy Award Omega from a years ago (which I have). That’s now valued at ten times the retail price I paid for it.

• 2 weeks later...
Â