Watches

Risso

32 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Brilliant technical achievement, lovely detailing and outstanding finishing, particularly the polishing. Bet its out of our price range, just a hunch 😁

I did look and.... if we all clubbed together then we might just about still not be even close to being able to afford one.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Tells the time well, does it? ;) 

Time is just a social construct. It can be whatever time you want it to be.

During WW2 only 12 companies made wristwatches for the Army.  These 12 watches are referred to as the  "Dirty Dozen".  Some watch collectors try to collect all 12 watches. Not many people can, mainly because of a company called Grana which produced small numbers.  

A Grana has just been sold for £12,000. That's a low price. Especially when you consider that only a handful of collectors own the full set. For less money than a Rolex you can buy a watch that is a real part of history.  That's why I love buying old watches.  

My search continues for the Omega that Buzz Aldrin wore on the moon.  

• Like 2

This is my go to “I don’t want everyone to think I’m a rocket polisher” watch that I’ll wear in non-Breitling appropriate scenarios:

spacer.png

Having said that, I’m an attorney so not looking like a rocket polisher is a fools errand and would mean I don’t actually fit in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

Dude if you make and design a watch that just says that and sell it as an art piece, you’d be a millionaire.

Anyway I tracked down this thread as I finally bought my dream watch! A breitling navitimer. I know some shit on breitlings but screw it I love it:

spacer.png

Nice. I think they look better on a leather strap personally though. I bought a Breitling Avenger II Seawolf recently, it's a big daft clunky thing with a bright yellow dial but I love it.

• Like 1

The new Christopher Ward Aquitaine watches are quite fit 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

torn between this or a Tudor GMT Pepsi (which is about 3x the price but I guess you get what you pay for)

spacer.png

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Anyone managed to get a Omega Swatch or have one on order. Not sure weather to pay a premium or wait till they become a bit more available.

Don't overpay! Just wait until they are available freely online. They really aren't worth any more than their rrp.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Don't overpay! Just wait until they are available freely online. They really aren't worth any more than their rrp.

When they going to be available though, I've been waiting 2 months already 🙄

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Honestly no idea. But there are a lot of videos on YouTube about the various merits/drawbacks of them.

The truth seems to be that they are perfectly fine watches for the price, but aren't realistically worth more than that.

If you feel you really want one, and you can afford it, then by all means buy one at a premium. That's fine. Just be aware that in x weeks you may be able to get one for the rrp online.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Honestly as Dean says I’d just wait. They’re not worth whatever it’s going for aftermarket and it’ll def come online at some point. It isn’t going to increase in value (in my opinion). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Anyone managed to get a Omega Swatch or have one on order. Not sure weather to pay a premium or wait till they become a bit more available.

No interest in one at all. Plastic tat. Really surprised at Omega devaluing their premium brand like this.

I still have mixed feelings about the Omega Swatch.  It's a a terrible cheap watch being sold at a ridiculous price.  But it does look superficially like a Omega and I wouldn't have to worry about damaging it in everyday wear.  

I was incredibly disappointed the the sub-dials are at 2, 6 & 10 rather than 3,6 & 9.  It makes me think Swatch couldn't even be bothered to develop a new $10 quartz movement and just used something existing that was "near enough".  

It's been a great marketing tool for cheap publicity. It might even get people interested in proper Omega watches.  But as @Rissorightly says its devaluing the brand.  

Unless you can somehow get one from a dealer I certainly wouldn't be paying over the odds for one. Unlike a high end watch which can take months to make and is limited by the availability of highly skilled workers, these can be mass-produced in hours and as Dean says, I'd be very surprised if they don't release loads more of them soon.  I just don't get it, would be Porsche sticking their badge on a Dacia.

Edited by Risso

29 minutes ago, Risso said:

Unless you can somehow get one from a dealer I certainly wouldn't be paying over the odds for one. Unlike a high end watch which can take months to make and is limited by the availability of highly skilled workers, these can be mass-produced in hours and as Dean says, I'd be very surprised if they don't release loads more of them soon.  I just don't get it, would be Porsche sticking their badge on a Dacia.

It's Mercedes sticking there badge on a Smart car, which they do kind of. But people will still by Merc for the quality and brand, if won't devalue the real Omega. I want a Omega swatch for daily use when i'm not wearing my smart watch, as they can get a bit tedious.

• 4 weeks later...

I got to have a close look at the Swatch Omega today.  I was disappointed because the watch looks like its designed to be disposable.

The battery is replaced by a small hatch in the watch back.  But that's the only way to access the inside of the watch.  It looks like the watch body and back is actually one piece of plastic. The movement must have been inserted from the front if the watch and then sealed into the watch body.  

That would make it impossible to repair the watch movement without significant damage to the watch body.  It does have a 2 year warranty.  But £207 for a watch that might only last 2 years seems a rip off. 

Â