Watches

Risso

8 hours ago, av1 said:

I need a new watch, I’ve got a much smaller budget than some of the beauties on here. I’ve so far narrowed it down to the below 3. Of the 3 I think I prefer the Seiko but unlike the other 2, it isn’t sapphire glass which I’ve read is much more scratch resistant?

Anyone have any of the below?

Hamilton -  H70515137 - £520 -Here

SEIKO 5 SPORTS SRPE51K1 - £190 - Here

Rotary GB05249/04  - £275 - Here

All 3 look good buys to me.  They are decent brands and the prices are good for an automatic watch.  Enjoy! 

52 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Hi av1, I bought a Seiko 5 sports automatic green earlier this year for just under £180, with the rrp being approx £260. It’s a nice everyday watch. I wanted a green face and couldn’t afford some of the more expensive options.  I use it most days in an office environment and only really switch when wanting a different colour face on my wrist.  No scratches so far but again depends on the use I suppose.  Hope this helps.

image.jpeg.a4ae9cdf09918e19261b18e281651f52.jpeg

Nice one, I am a bit of a seiko fanboy and this is possibly the best watch in the world for the money. My daily is a seiko mini turtle Padi, Pepsi bezel, it feels like something that cost 3 times the money, love it.

• Like 1

The price of watches has gone crazy in the last few years.   But I have a watch shaped gap that needs filling and permission from Mrs Lifeboats to spend.   I am not sure I will.  Some of the prices people are paying are ridiculous and out of principle I can’t buy a watch that costs the same amount as a decent car.  But I am on the lookout for:

A watch from 1970.   £1000 - £2000.   

I am always on the lookout for these watches.  They need to be a model I like, a decent condition but also have that patina that shows its lived.  I thought I’d found a Rolex that fitted the bill in my local jewellers.   There were 2 problems.   At some stage non-standard parts had been used.  It had a very specific and deep engraving on the case back.     

A watch that looks like it’s from 1970 but isn’t. 

I am sure some people who post in this topic will go mad when I mention fake patina watches.  I don’t see any problem with them.  But it has to be well done.  I thought I had found it when I came across the Steinhart Ocean 39 Vintage for £700.  But when I took delivery it didn’t look as good as the pictures.  What looked like a lovely creamy colour on the dial and bezel was much browner under natural light.  I was terribly disappointed because it looked perfect. 

image.png.040fcd70d32474949f753500fca47888.png

Tudor Black Bay.  £2800

I love these watches but there are so many models to choose from.  I’d buy one today but I still hope to stumble upon that 1970 watch. 

Tudor Black Bay Bronze £3100

This is the model that’s looking most likely. 

image.png.81ee669254dfc2e3aa2e8c4e8b151594.png

Omega Seamaster James Bond.  £7000

This watch is causing me anguish.  I love the watch.  It’s the right model.  It’s the right colour.  It’s got that vintage look.  But I hate the connection to James Bond.  Whenever I see anyone wearing one I always think they jump around the house pretending to be Bond.  How much do I love the watch compared to how much do I hate the Bond connection?  At the moment the Bond connection is too strong.  

image.png.4794a3dff72e87997a305245028485a6.png

Omega Speedmaster Silver Snoopy.  New £8500.  Realistic price £25,000.   

I know this isn’t going to happen but I can dream.  I have mentioned it several times before in this thread.  

image.png.a3f7051ead2d02b0cbb6e0f1d7ad11ff.png

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
speeling mishsteaks
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The price of watches has gone crazy in the last few years.   But I have a watch shaped gap that needs filling and permission from Mrs Lifeboats to spend.   I am not sure I will.  Some of the prices people are paying are ridiculous and out of principle I can’t buy a watch that costs the same amount as a decent car.  But I am on the lookout for:

I am always on the lookout for these watches.  They need to be a model I like, a decent condition but also have that patina that shows its lived.  I thought I’d found a Rolex that fitted the bill in my local jewellers.   There were 2 problems.   At some stage non-standard parts had been used.  It had a very specific and deep engraving on the case back.     

I am sure some people who post in this topic will go mad when I mention fake patina watches.  I don’t see any problem with them.  But it has to be well done.  I thought I had found it when I came across the Steinhart Ocean 39 Vintage for £700.  But when I took delivery it didn’t look as good as the pictures.  What looked like a lovely creamy colour on the dial and bezel was much browner under natural light.  I was terribly disappointed because it looked perfect. 

Tudor Black Bay.  £2800

I love these watches but there are so many models to choose from.  I’d buy one today but I still hope to stumble upon that 1970 watch. 

This watch is causing me anguish.  I love the watch.  It’s the right model.  It’s the right colour.  It’s got that vintage look.  But I hate the connection to James Bond.  Whenever I see anyone wearing one I always think they jump around the house pretending to be Bond.  How much do I love the watch compared to how much do I hate the Bond connection?  At the moment the Bond connection is too strong.  

I know this isn’t going to happen but I can dream.  I have mentioned it several times before in this thread.  

Really interesting read and knowing your thoughts but bloody hell as you say, some of the prices! 😬.  Re the Omega Bond, it looks lovely but not the mesh style strap for me. Just never been a fan of those. 

Some of the Tudor watches are very nice indeed and at least sensible prices. Silver Snoopy looks a beauty but if that’s now a realistic price then Mrs F would throw me out of the house if I even suggested it. Wow.

Hope you get “that” find though 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Tudor Black Bay.  £2800

Buy them all😜

You have good taste, all are my type of thing, I love tool watches.

When you say 1970, do you actually mean 1970 specifically, as in a significant year, some collectors go crazy for a piece from their birth year for instance?

I personally couldn't have the Snoopy, I'd have to have the whole set and I haven't got a Million to spend. That said, if you can find one for way under the market, snap it up as it will be a good investment. 

The Omega Bond, not for me, I'd much prefer the standard model, under the radar for me😉

One to add to the Tudor list is the 58 Silver - 79010SG, not specifically the look you're after but it is special, I've no idea how the silver will age, doubt it will have the mold look of a bronze after interaction with the skin and on the face of it looks like steel, but in the flesh I bet its super special.

I've been in a similar spot, i wanted a Sub 126610LN but my dilemma was that I can afford to buy one but I can't afford to too, if that makes sense, hard to find in the first place but will just appreciate in value and I'd end up never wearing it.

I looked at all the Tudor Black Bay divers as a real world usable alternative and chose to go with that. I bought the one from ebay I linked on here, should get it midweek, will keep you posted.

Anyway. Good luck, new watch days are great days.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

When you say 1970, do you actually mean 1970 specifically, as in a significant year, some collectors go crazy for a piece from their birth year for instance?

1970 is my birth year. 

But its hard with some brands to establish exact dates of manufacture.  Some only give you a range  of dates.  I would happily take a watch that could have been made in 1970.  But I wouldn't want one that was definitely 1969 or 1971.  I like the idea of having something "as old as me".  

That's one of the reasons I like the Silver Snoopy.  It commemorates the Apollo 13 mission, the part that watch played in bringing the crew back to earth and NASA awarding a Silver Snoopy award to Omega.  That took place in 1970.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I've been in a similar spot, i wanted a Sub 126610LN but my dilemma was that I can afford to buy one but I can't afford to too, if that makes sense, hard to find in the first place but will just appreciate in value and I'd end up never wearing it.

I looked at all the Tudor Black Bay divers as a real world usable alternative and chose to go with that. I bought the one from ebay I linked on here, should get it midweek, will keep you posted.

The Sub 126610LN is  lovely watch.  If you could get one new they are a bargain at £7500.  You could sell it the following day for £12,000.  

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the Black Bay on Ebay?  If you got it for around £2k and its as described you have got a great deal.  

Let me know your thoughts on the Ebay verification process.  They seem capable of spotting most fakes.  They also have a good record on new watches.   Their weakness seems to be verifying older watches with less obvious problems.  A mate of mine got a Rolex at  decent price that passed verification.  But it was clearly a frankenstein watch.  Several of the parts were non-Rolex or from the wrong model.  He got his money back but it was a tortuous process.  I think they will be able to verify the Tudor with undue difficulty.  

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The Sub 126610LN is  lovely watch.  If you could get one new they are a bargain at £7500.  You could sell it the following day for £12,000.  

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the Black Bay on Ebay?  If you got it for around £2k and its as described you have got a great deal.  

Let me know your thoughts on the Ebay verification process.  They seem capable of spotting most fakes.  They also have a good record on new watches.   Their weakness seems to be verifying older watches with less obvious problems.  A mate of mine got a Rolex at  decent price that passed verification.  But it was clearly a frankenstein watch.  Several of the parts were non-Rolex or from the wrong model.  He got his money back but it was a tortuous process.  I think they will be able to verify the Tudor with undue difficulty.  

The sub at 7.5k is impossible to get, 12k is what you'd HAVE to pay I think.

Re my Tudor purchase,

it was up at auction with a starting bid of 2000 + 25pp, I watched the last hour of the auction and was due to bid 2075+pp in the dying seconds and hope for the best, there are a few around and I think 2200/2250 is fair but we all love a bargain, so 2100 incl pp seemed a good spot.

Anyway, no bids came at all and late on he added a make offer option, so with a couple of minutes to go I bid 1925+pp and nout, the auction ended, it got relisted automatically and I made the same offer and after a few hours it was accepted. It was despatched same day to a 3rd party for authentication and they emailed me this afternoon via ebay to say it was all above board and will be sent via ups signed for to arrive by wednesday.

So, so far so good, I wait to see with my own eyes and will post the verdict and a pic if all good, if not I will be on to ebay fuming.

The authenticity guarantee is for pieces over 2k, if you search for a watch above that it will have a blue tick auth guar and you can click on it to see the terms. Seems good but I wait and see and as you say your friends frankenRolex passed auth so it could well just be some office kid who looks at the watch and a picture of a real one and says ok or could be genuine and checked by a watchmaker. I know I can get the monies back with some hassle, hope I dont need it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Tudor arrived and I'm over the moon with it. 

Ebay Authenticity Guarantee worked for me, I can scan the auth card using nfc and it brings up details of the sale and I found that the authentication was carried out by Stoll & Co, findable and look reputable after a quick look.

I'll up some of the Ebay stuff too, not sure how many pics I'm aloud, here goes.

Ah, can't up as many as thought, he goes again.

20211001_132732.jpg

Edit, pics rubbish, I'm rubbish at this. Yep, every pic I've taken is too large file size for my allowance, I'm probably doing something wrong. Had to resize this pic to up it. damnit.

Added bonus, the guys wrist size is the same as mine, get in.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 2

Just found this on Stoll & Co

http://usa.watchpro.com/stoll-co-stretches-its-service-and-authentication-operation-into-the-uk/

Stoll & Co, one of America’s most powerful service and authentication businesses, is expanding its reach to the UK.

Subsidiary RS Stoll & Company International will open its first facility this summer, WatchPro has learned.

Dayton Ohio-based Stoll & Co has pivoted from watch distribution into servicing, repair, refurbishment and authentication services as the market for pre-owned watches has exploded.

On 28/09/2021 at 21:58, av1 said:

I need a new watch, I’ve got a much smaller budget than some of the beauties on here. I’ve so far narrowed it down to the below 3. Of the 3 I think I prefer the Seiko but unlike the other 2, it isn’t sapphire glass which I’ve read is much more scratch resistant?

Anyone have any of the below?

Hamilton -  H70515137 - £520 -Here

SEIKO 5 SPORTS SRPE51K1 - £190 - Here

Rotary GB05249/04  - £275 - Here

Missed that, but if you can find one of the Rotary watches, go for that. A very decent for the money watch, and it's a genuine limited edition and one that I think will increase in value over time. It's a very basic automatic Japanese Miyota movement, but at that price it's more than good enough, and it has a display back which is nice. Put it on a strap rather than the bracelet and I reckon you've got a very nice watch indeed for not much dosh (relatively speaking.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Risso said:

Missed that, but if you can find one of the Rotary watches, go for that. A very decent for the money watch, and it's a genuine limited edition and one that I think will increase in value over time. It's a very basic automatic Japanese Miyota movement, but at that price it's more than good enough, and it has a display back which is nice. Put it on a strap rather than the bracelet and I reckon you've got a very nice watch indeed for not much dosh (relatively speaking.)

Thanks

Just clicked that link again and the Rotary is now £399. 

Ive found it on another site for £275 with a 10% discount for first orders, so £247

20 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Despite not having the budget of you millionaires I've been following this thread. Is eBay the best place to buy watches, even if it's sub-£500?

Well.......its a risk......but the prices are generally good.  

EBAY offers a verification service but its for watches over £2000.  

For me to shell out £500 I would want to see a really good and long history of feedback specific to watches.  

All watches can be faked and the quality is getting better.  There is no way to tell from pictures unless it's a terribly cheap fake.  You really need to inspect the movement and be able to spot the difference.  On a luxury watch you can normally spot the lower quality standards even if all of the bits are correct.  But the cheaper the watch the lower the quality standard on the genuine article.  Therefore a fake looks closer to the original.  

What are you looking for?  New?  Nearly new? Vintage?  

I tend to buy cheaper new watches from manufacturers.  Expensive new watches from dealers.  Vintage watches from wherever I find them.  

Spelling mishsteaks
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Risso said:

Under no circumstances buy an Omega Bond watch. Like most Omegas they look nice, but the Bond tie in is naff and they depreciate like nobody's business.

The Bond tie in is naff.  It's going to depreciate.  But look at it.   It's beautiful.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mozzavfc said:

Despite not having the budget of you millionaires I've been following this thread. Is eBay the best place to buy watches, even if it's sub-£500?

9 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Well.......its a risk......but the prices are generally good.  

EBAY offers a verification service but its for watches over £2000.  

For me to shell out £500 I would want to see a really good and long history of feedback specific to watches.  

All watches can be faked and the quality is getting better.  There is no way to tell from pictures unless it's a terribly cheap fake.  You really need to inspect the movement and be able to spot the difference.  On a luxury watch you can normally spot the lower quality standards even if all of the bits are correct.  But the cheaper the watch the lower the quality standard on the genuine article.  Therefore a fake looks closer to the original.  

What are you looking for?  New?  Nearly new? Vintage?  

I tend to buy cheaper new watches from manufacturers.  Expensive new watches from dealers.  Vintage watches from wherever I find them.  

Mr Lifeboats pretty much nailed it.

I've purchased getting on for 20 watches from eBay and never been stung yet, just be thorough with sellers feedback, I've never purchased anything valued over £10ish from an eBay seller that doesn't have 100% feedback, its a good start.

Once you've narrowed down what you're looking for watch quite a few and don't bid, unless its one you really fancy of course, just get a feel for what they end up going for. I'm always on there looking at this price range looking for bargains that I know will never depreciate, buy em, flip em, living with a watch for free effectively. 

That said, and I haven't done this for some time, I love the authorised dealer experience in a good shop, Beaverbrooks and the like or an old established independent, if you walk in wearing a decent piece already, they really go to town and look after you, they can tell you're not a tyre kicker. The haggling etc, make them work for the sale, trying a few on, never pay ticket, they WILL do a deal. Coffee Sir, Oh go on then, love it. Then if you do a deal, they size it perfectly for. Great experience.

Good luck Mozz and let us know what you're looking for.

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

The haggling etc, make them work for the sale, trying a few on, never pay ticket, they WILL do a deal. 

Excellent advice from @Phil Silvers but there is a downside to haggling.  

The really high demand watches that appreciate in value are produced in small numbers.  These are not sold on a first come first served basis.  

The best watches go to the best customers.  Haggling too hard makes you less likely to get into that club.  

If I want to reduce a price with a High Street chain I will normally ask to see the watch I want and a few more that are cheaper.  Mention your budget and make sure it’s lower than the ticket price on the watch you want.  Talk about loving the watch you want but it being out of you range which is why you are looking at the cheaper options.  They will often give you the discount to secure the sale of the higher price watch.  

A couple of my suppliers call me when a watch arrives that they know I will like.  They will always say that they called me first.  In reality there is a list of good customers and I am probably near the bottom of that list.  But I still get chance to buy watches that are never going on general sale.  

Hit edit by mistake
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Excellent advice from @Phil Silvers but there is a downside to haggling.  

The really high demand watches that appreciate in value are produced in small numbers.  These are not sold on a first come first served basis.  

The best watches go to the best customers.  Haggling too hard makes you less likely to get into that club.  

If I want to reduce a price with a High Street chain I will normally ask to see the watch I want and a few more that are cheaper.  Mention your budget and make sure it’s lower than the ticket price on the watch you want.  Talk about loving the watch you want but it being out of you range which is why you are looking at the cheaper options.  They will often give you the discount to secure the sale of the higher price watch.  

A couple of my suppliers call me when a watch arrives that they know I will like.  They will always say that they called me first.  In reality there is a list of good customers and I am probably near the bottom of that list.  But I still get chance to buy watches that are never going on general sale.  

Definitely agree for higher end, I was more talking about my price range, say, Oris, Longines, Tag Heuer, Breitling etc. Most of the time I'd be online looking for interesting Seikos and lesser known stuff like Squale or Sinn.

I'm not in the boutique members club yet🤑, not a serious  collector, I like to wear them. Don't get me wrong there are pieces I yearn to own but I can't have it all.

Edit, Fortis is a brand I've become interested in, excellent tool watchmaker, they've been to the moon too, worth looking up for Speedmaster lovers.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

Â