Watches

Risso

Van Cleef Midnight Planetarium. 

Each planet is set onto a separate concentric ring which moves in real time.     

All done with cogs, springs and levers.   

The approximate time is show by the shooting star on the very outer ring.    

I suppose if you can afford £200,000 for a watch you can ask the butler to tell you the exact time.   

Van Cleef & Arpels

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Risso said:

Jacob & Co Astronomia.

Rather large diamond moon rotating round the earth, prices between £500K and £1m, depending on how many diamonds you like on a watch.

Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 17.13.54.png

All style and class. :ph34r:

• 5 months later...

Thought you guys may be able to give some advice as I've been toying with buying a new watch.  For the last few years I've been using a variety of low/mid range sports watches for day to day wear and a Hugo Boss watch for anything smart.   

I was looking to get something that I could wear all the time, apart from sports/diy etc but will also stand up to be worn if out on an evening.  First i thought about getting a Garmin Fenix6 but I dont want it to be stuck in a drawer/out of date in a few years.  So looking around I was leaning towards a Longiness Conquest of some description, I like the design and the price point is right for me.  I quite like the idea of the automatic mechanism as I'll be wearing it a lot, but what are the thoughts of that vs Quartz?  or is there another watch I should consider?

nb.  I don't like a metal strap - due to a bad left arm break when I was a kid I wear on the right arm and a metal strap is a pain for me.

13 minutes ago, lammy123 said:

Thought you guys may be able to give some advice as I've been toying with buying a new watch.  For the last few years I've been using a variety of low/mid range sports watches for day to day wear and a Hugo Boss watch for anything smart.   

I was looking to get something that I could wear all the time, apart from sports/diy etc but will also stand up to be worn if out on an evening.  First i thought about getting a Garmin Fenix6 but I dont want it to be stuck in a drawer/out of date in a few years.  So looking around I was leaning towards a Longiness Conquest of some description, I like the design and the price point is right for me.  I quite like the idea of the automatic mechanism as I'll be wearing it a lot, but what are the thoughts of that vs Quartz?  or is there another watch I should consider?

nb.  I don't like a metal strap - due to a bad left arm break when I was a kid I wear on the right arm and a metal strap is a pain for me.

Can vouch for Longines, had a few over the years, last was a Hydroconquest diver, liked it a lot. 

The conquest is a great all round watch, tough enough for everyday use and dresses up well especially on again leather strap, definitely go for the auto, it will be an ETA movement, rock solid and servicing is cheap. Very few if any at this price point do their own in-house movement. 

Comparable to this, I'd check out, Hamilton, Tissot, Oris and never under estimate Seiko, they make some great automatic watches for between 500/1k and way above that.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Comparable to this, I'd check out, Hamilton, Tissot, Oris and never under estimate Seiko, they make some great automatic watches for between 500/1k and way above that.

These are my go-to watches. Hamilton's automatic movement is superb - top casual field watches. For a 'black tie' watch, the Tissot 'Le Locle' is hard to beat at the price. Seiko's 'Presage Cocktail' watches are class too.

For an extra 0 on the price tag, however, the Grand Seiko is one of the best watches I've ever worn.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beastmix said:

These are my go-to watches. Hamilton's automatic movement is superb - top casual field watches. For a 'black tie' watch, the Tissot 'Le Locle' is hard to beat at the price. Seiko's 'Presage Cocktail' watches are class too.

For an extra 0 on the price tag, however, the Grand Seiko is one of the best watches I've ever worn.

Only proper watch guys really know about Seiko😉

Would love a snowflake.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Would love a snowflake.

It's the best looking watch out there, in my opinion.

On the flip-side, I have a Seiko Giugiaro (from the Alien movie). Equally ugly and cool.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

It's the best looking watch out there, in my opinion.

On the flip-side, I have a Seiko Giugiaro (from the Alien movie). Equally ugly and cool.

Keep it, they are going up in value as I'm sure you know.

49 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Keep it, they are going up in value as I'm sure you know.

Absolutely. It's already worth 25% more than when I bought it and that was only in 2017.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I ended up going for a Seiko 5 in the end earlier this year and so far I can’t fault it and really like it.  Got it for just under £180 in the end with various discounts.

image.jpeg.9962e193ab9c5897cd6e2b66ef0d7e49.jpeg

The green looks nice, not seen one in the flesh but can confidently say its amazing value for that price.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

The green looks nice, not seen one in the flesh but can confidently say its amazing value for that price.

They’re quite common on the high street but for the office/everyday watch, I’m pleased.

Just wish I could justify the outlay on a Rolex or something similar but with two small children, my financial constraints don’t allow it.  

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

They’re quite common on the high street but for the office/everyday watch, I’m pleased.

Just wish I could justify the outlay on a Rolex or something similar but with two small children, my financial constraints don’t allow it.  

If it's a Rolex you fancy then if you get the right one it will never be worth less then what you pay for it. Its a wierd sensation though having something that valuable on you're wrist, you're very aware of it, almost to the point being afraid of marking it, but you do over come it and any fine marks and ageing will only add to the value.Go for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Salad said:

Been looking for a new watch and found a deal for a Tissot on Ebay( Brand new $425). Are they good watches?

My missus bought me a Tissot PRS200 in white/blue, 20 years ago. I wear it everyday. Faultless!

Edit: I posted it on page 4 in this thread apperantly. Still going strong :D

sCoKOvG.jpg

Edited by Tegis
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Plus you could never get from from an authorised dealer at the moment anyway. Unless you have a history with them, i'd guess the wait would be years - over 10 years for a Daytona or GMT I think.

Only option is the grey market and you'll pay 50% more then list price. 

Madness isn't it? 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Would love a snowflake.

Seiko are fantastic. A wide range of prices as well. A Grand Seiko is a work of art. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Xela said:

Seiko are fantastic. A wide range of prices as well. A Grand Seiko is a work of art. 

They really are, the history is amazing, so many firsts, everything now made in house, I'd stand correcting but I think only Rolex and Seiko do that.

Seiko single handedly almost destroyed the swiss watch making industry with the invention of Quartz sometime in the 70s, known as the quartz crisis.. A lot of the struggling manufacturers were eventually bought up the Swatch group and Richmont Group and survived to this day.

Grand Seiko is amazing, its all about the zaratsu polishing and the spring drive. Would love one.

• Like 2

Â